Author Topic: Breeding And Money  (Read 6889 times)

Offline sashal

• Site Member
    • http://www.sashal.co.uk
Breeding And Money
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »
and when you don't breed very often you also need to buy in all the supplements, powders and potions etc  each time you have a litter.

As others have said though if you aren't really very bothered about the pups and the bitch that I guess it can be a lot less costly. If they leave the bitch outside in a shed to fend for herself and don't bother to supplement and health check, vaccinate and spend hours with the litter then things must be much cheaper.

Having only recently (14mths ago) had our first Cocker litter we would not do anything different. We got lots of advice from my good friend who is a breeder of GWP/Cockers and having seen the fact that their puppies are born and reared in the house until they leave, each fed individually and someone sleeps down with the pups for the first week or so we were prepared for the work it would entail but wow was it worth it  :)

A couple of years ago we had a situation where what can only be called a backyard breeder had a litter of GWPs. A young family bought a puppy only to find within 24hours their son was allergic. When they took it back to this 'breeder' bearing in mind this was the next day, he said you can do what you like with it I have the money and would not take it back. The pup came into rescue and was rehomed. A couple of years later and another litter has been registered by him. What can you do, he isn't a Club member, he isn't involved in the competitive world at all. It is heartbreaking  :(

Only today I have had an email from someone who has an 8 year old Blue Roan family dog that they want to put at stud. Sending pictures of him and offering his services  :(

Alex
Sashal GWPs & Cocker Spaniels
www.sashal.co.uk

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Breeding And Money
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
What a lof of replies!  :blink:

I've seen many commercial breeders in Korea. my wife and I feel sad and mad whenever they treat us the same as they are.

Even a petshop asks us puppies for re-sale.
My wife and I do regret that we had an interview with a dog magazine though we got some beautiful pictures   ;)

ChangBin(Chris)