Author Topic: Billy's Pedigree Arrived Today  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy's Pedigree Arrived Today
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:16:33 PM »
For those of you who wont be familiar with my previous posts I got Billy from a retailer before i knew about puppy farming etc.He was my first dog since leaving home.  I never sent off for his pedigree as i didn't see the point as i knew it would mean double dutch to me and it was unlikely there were any well known lines in there. I was clearing out some drawers the other day and i found his certificate and though i might as well send off for his 5 generation certificate. I was surprsied when it arrived today to find there are some SH CH in there  :huh:  :huh: . Isn't this strange considering he was sold to a retail outlet and therefore presumably from a puppy farm??

GGG grandparents
SH CH QUETTADENE EMBLEM
SH CH PLATONSTOWN SUPER DUPER
SH CH CHANIGOU MR HAPPY

Also his Billy's mum and dad have the same dad ie hey are half brother and sister.  :unsure:  If this were humans this would be very strange, or is it not the same for animals??  :blink:  :blink: .
I may be completely wrong with what i am saying but as i don't show or breed i am not very well up on these things although i am learning thanks to COL.

What do you think????

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:25:06 PM »
For those of you who wont be familiar with my previous posts I got Billy from a retailer before i knew about puppy farming etc.He was my first dog since leaving home.  I never sent off for his pedigree as i didn't see the point as i knew it would mean double dutch to me and it was unlikely there were any well known lines in there. I was clearing out some drawers the other day and i found his certificate and though i might as well send off for his 5 generation certificate. I was surprsied when it arrived today to find there are some SH CH in there  :huh:  :huh: . Isn't this strange considering he was sold to a retail outlet and therefore presumably from a puppy farm??

[snapback]136313[/snapback]

Its not that strange. Gunnar - my commercially bred dog -also had four or five SH CH in his tree from grandparents upwards. Dont forget the gene pool for cockers is quite small so and dogs that have done well would be in great demand for stud. Alfie shares a grandparent with half the dogs on this board, dogs from all over the country.

Commercial breeders/puppy farmers would have had at some point bought a pup from somewhere so it stands to reason that Ch would show up.

Well thats my take on it anyway :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:21:18 PM »
Also his Billy's mum and dad have the same dad ie hey are half brother and sister.  :unsure:  If this were humans this would be very strange, or is it not the same for animals??  :blink:  :blink: .

Line breeding, as it is known, is often carried out by experienced, knowledgable breeders to enhance a particular trait or characteristic. Breeders carry out in-depth research into the backgrounds of the dogs to ensure that there are no hidden recessive genetic conditions -  line breeding increases the risk of these conditions being expressed in the pups.

Dogs are not bothered about how closely they are related to their "mate" - close matings are avoided in the wild amongst pack animals by either the males or females migrating to other packs - so keeping the genetic pool well mixed  ;)

Obviously in the case of commercially bred puppies, they are often line-bred this way as it is the cheapest option available to his breeders  :angry:  Don't let it spoil your enjoyment of him - the important thing is that he is a well loved and cared for companion
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:45:58 PM »
Good show lines can turn up in puppy farm pedigrees because sometimes puppy farmers have managed to buy a dog/bitch from a show breeder (by falsely pretending to be a private family buyer) and other times because they have bought from a one-off breeder who has show lines in their pedigrees. Just shows how careful all breeders should be about who uses their stud dogs & who buys their puppies. Even if breeders are careful, they can still be fooled sometimes unfortunately :(

Jane
Jane

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 12:12:22 AM »
Aw What a shame that some of these show breeders pups end up on puppy farms  :(  :( . I did notify KC that I bought Billy from a retail outlet but they didn't really want to know . I would have thought that at the least they would have given the breeder a warning. But hey like you said as long as he is healthy and happy thats all that matters  :)

The pedigree is confusing!! So big don't know where i am going to put it!!  :D

Many thanks

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:32:02 AM »
I did notify KC that I bought Billy from a retail outlet but they didn't really want to know . I would have thought that at the least they would have given the breeder a warning.
[snapback]136362[/snapback]
This is what really annoys me :( It's supposed to be against the KC's Code of Ethics for breeders registering litters with the KC to sell them to retail outlets/dealers but they don't enforce this at all. There are several well-known commercial breeders who sell to pet stores who continue to register with the KC & have done for many years, though some are now using other registration companies.

Jane
Jane

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:53 AM »
I did notify KC that I bought Billy from a retail outlet but they didn't really want to know

I did the same after we had severe problems with Scully and Sasha's breeder. The KC were not at all interested and neither were The Cocker Spaniel Club (of which she was a member). :angry:

The worst thing about that was that I knew of three other people who had also contacted the KC and the CSC about her - its not as though my complaint was a one off :angry:
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »
I did the same after we had severe problems with Scully and Sasha's breeder. The KC were not at all interested and neither were The Cocker Spaniel Club (of which she was a member). :angry:
[snapback]136399[/snapback]
When it comes to health defects, often the best course of action is to pursue a complaint via Trading Standards and/or the Small Claims Court under the Sale of Goods Act - far more effective than anything either the KC or a Breed Club could do to a breeder. Breed Clubs do not have unlimited powers - they can investigate complaints but removal of members requires a vote to be taken at a special general meeting to be called of all members, something that rarely happens due to the enormous expense involved (the committee has no power to expel members of its own accord).

Jane
Jane

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »

GGG grandparents
SH CH QUETTADENE EMBLEM

SH CH CHANIGOU MR HAPPY

Bailey has these two in his pedigree. :)
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 02:15:21 PM »
SH CH QUETTADENE EMBLEM

SH CH CHANIGOU MR HAPPY

Links with Kyro too!!!  :)
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)