Author Topic: Breed lines  (Read 4411 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Breed lines
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
I am after some advice on breed lines on show cockers

I maybe looking to add a show cockers to my family of cocker 2 show & 1 working but I am a bit out of touch with lines.

My current show cockers are 13.5 & 7.5 years old both are nice light frame cockers weighing around 9.5kg & 9kg and are orange roan  & light blue roan.  I would like to try & find a line that still throws the lighter framed cockers as we do agility.  I also want to stay with parti colours I realy like the orange roans but open to other roans or even blue roan & tan.

I know the lines of my 2 girls but The breeder i have had both girls from is now longer breeding.

So i am hoping that you can help with a bit of experience of those that may have the smaller type cocker
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: Breed lines
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
If you want to drop me a message with details of the show lines I may be able to help you?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
In my experience, breeders don't tend to deliberately breed smaller, lighter Cockers but they do crop up in litters from time to time, especially if the parents are on the small side. However it is quite difficult to predict which puppies will turn out to be genetically built on a smaller frame as some puppies we have thought were tiny have grown into normal sized adults and some have not. However if you do want similar lines to your existing show type girls, it's quite possible that there are other breeders with the same lines in their pedigrees - Sue has offered to help you here so do send her a PM
Jane

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Hi Jane

I do understand that breeders do not intentionally breed smaller cockers I have had show cockers for 30 years but maybe just pure luck but all my parti colour bitches I have had have been quite small only my blue roan & tan bitch was what you may say normal size being around 12kg & more stocky.

One breeder actually sold my one pup as being small & not suitable for  showing & did endorse her pedigree i will message Sue later all my query was has anyone experinced of their lines throwing smaller cockers, as you say most puppies are same at birth & later & not always noticed untill they are a lot older so its anyone knowing as the puppies turn into adult hood

Thanks

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »
Hi

Yes I understood what you were saying - we have certainly bred occasional "tinies" over 30 odd year of breeding as have most breeders I would guess and sometimes you can tell that a small puppy will be a small adult but sometimes small puppies catch up, so that was what I was trying to get across really ie that small puppies do not necessarily mean a small adult :D Good luck in your search anyway :D
Jane

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Strange way of looking at it but, would it be worth contacting a Agility Club as there might be Cockers there of a smaller frame and contacting their Breeder ?

I have a small girl, something that you could not tell from looking at the litter (I chose her at 2 weeks)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
Hi

Yes I understood what you were saying - we have certainly bred occasional "tinies" over 30 odd year of breeding as have most breeders I would guess and sometimes you can tell that a small puppy will be a small adult but sometimes small puppies catch up, so that was what I was trying to get across really ie that small puppies do not necessarily mean a small adult :D Good luck in your search anyway :D

Teals breeder said that Teal would be a small dog   16kgs later!!!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
It is quite fasinating really over the 20 years plus i have had parti coloured mostly light blue roans all have been under 15inches & nearer 13.5 all been around 9.5 kg or under

I had solids at firsts goldens & reds but I would say more to KC standard & I did show those

Most of my blue roans then had similar breed lines & from breeders that did show i must just have a knack at selecting the type I like 🤔.

My current 2 girls i have are related but the breeder is no longer breeding so the one side of the line which i have connections with over 14 years is now finished.

I know it may have sounded an odd question but I suppose I do like the lighter framed cocker & as I do agility with them its better for them as their height effects what height they will be grouped into

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »
Here they are Amy & Jodie,  Amy the orange roan is Jodies Aunty

Amy measured just under 14 inches & weighs 9kg Jodie is only 13inches & 8.5kg