Author Topic: Stud Dogs  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Cazza_1978

• Site Member
    • http://www.abi-bertie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Stud Dogs
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »
Hi

Can anyone give me advice on breeding my Blue Roan with a Solid cocker.

are there any reason this would not be advised?

The owner of the solid cocker stud has also given me details of another breeder with parti colour studs which I am waiting for her to call me back.

thanks

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Stud Dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
I was told you do not breed a solid with roans.But as far as I am aware you can breed a roan with a parti colour.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
Stud Dogs
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:31:37 PM »
:) Hi i was also told you cant breed a roan with a solid dont know the reason why though you would have to contact a breeder about this. Sorry i cant help :)
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stud Dogs
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:54:39 PM »
To be perfectly homest I think you need to do ALOT more research if your looking at breeding your parti-colour with a solid  ;)

Firstly you need to contact your breeder and let her access your bitch. The you need to research the pedigree and then ask your breeder regarding a suitable stud dog, it doesn't work that you just use ANY stud dog just becasue he's a Cocker. You then need to have your bitch health tested and then MINIMUM eye tested under the KC/BVA eye scheme or preferably Optigen. The stud dog would also need ot be eye tested and an excellent example of the breed. To be perfectly honest there is NO point in breeding if you are not going to do it properly, there is no point breeding to produce "average" puppies you want to breed the best possible for type and temperament. Does your bitch have an excellent temperament??

You also need to ask yourself why you want to breed? Breeding is an emotional rollercoaster and not for the faint-hearted. You MUST be 100% committed to the bitch and her puppies for 8 weeks solid and also for the rest of the lives of the puppies you produce.

Karen: a Roan IS a Particolour  ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stud Dogs
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:09:57 PM »
Just to add to the advice above, if you have a show-type Cocker then generally solids & particolours are kept separate & not bred together but the situation is different with Working Cockers where the colours are frequently mixed together (colour not being particularly relevant if aiming to produce good working dogs). If you have a show-type Cocker, then you need to ask yourself why you are considering mating a solid dog to your blue bitch. Do you have a specific aim in mind ie does this solid dog offer your bitch something that a good particolour dog could not? Have you researched your bitch's pedigree and the potential stud dog's? Do you understand enough about genetics to know what colours the puppies would be? Many people would think that you would get some solid puppies and some particolour puppies from such a mating but in all likelihood, the puppies will all be solids possibly with "mismarkings" (patches of white on perhaps the face or feet, contrary to the Breed Standard for solid Cockers). The only exception would be if the solid dog has some particolour ancestry & carries the particolour gene (research of the pedigree will reveal if this is possible).

Jane
Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »
i think you would be better leaving the breeding to experts who know what they are doing there are so many dogs in rescue or being pts because people don't understand whats involved and mate dogs that have temperament problems so creating more dogs with the same probs.it's not fair on the puppies.also think if you bred the dogs and say for instance out of a litter of six three were returned to you within three years would you be able to care for them.
i am not saying this would be the case with you just that there are so many people who want to breed from their pets and really do not know whats involved( all the hard work and expense)why not just enjoy your dog as a pet.your life would be much easier

Offline Cazza_1978

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:18:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!

I am in the process of doing all the research that I can and I am well aware of the fact that "not any stud will do".

I dont mean to sound horrible but I have posted twice on here for some advice and both times feel like I have been lectured. I am not about to jump into this without doing all the nessecery research and ensuring I am 110% sure that I will be doing the right thing for my bitch as well as any puppies that would result.

I can appreciate that some of you are only trying to help but I thought that posting on here I would get some nice friendly advice on where to get the relevent information that I have asked for.

I hope no one takes this post the wrong way I am grateful for the advice that has been posted just dont think I need the lectures to go with it.

My breeder has already outlined the fact that you can basically rule out 5 months off the year in which you get bitch mated. She had her pet mated and was in the same situation as I am in at the moment on trying to find out as much about the whole process as I am.

As far as my bitches temprement she has a wonderful temprement. I have also been told that she is from a "Good" pedigree by someone who shows cockers.

I have spoken to my vet about the tests that will be required also and he does the eye tests.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:03:56 AM »
What you might like to do is search the net to see if you can find pictures of the dogs in your girl's pedigree, that way you'll be able to see what colours crop up quite often and whether there's a few one off colours in there. If nothing else it's interesting seeing your dogs ancestors  :D .
I may be wrong but I think solids are only bred to partis when they feel the the colour in parti's has become to diluted e.g. an orange roan to a gold, I could be completely wrong though.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stud Dogs
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »
Cazza, I'm sure no one intended to lecture you but you have to realise this forum is read by many, many people so it's important we get the "responsible breeding" message across loud and clear. You didn't give much info in your initial post so it wasn't obvious that you realised how much homework you need to do before breeding a litter. As you don't have an experienced breeder to mentor you, you will need all the help and advice you can get but it's hard to give advice if you take offence when it's offered ;) I asked some genuine questions about what your aims were & why you might want to use a solid stud dog - these questions were asked with the sole intention of helping you with your research but without answers, I can't really give any more advice :unsure: Just one other thing, eye testing panellists do not often work in general practice so do check that your vet does offer eye testing under the KC/BVA scheme.

Cayley, I haven't heard of breeders mating particolours to solids to improve colours. Mating recessive to recessive repeatedly can produce wishy washy colouring but to avoid this, you would just breed your orange to a blue roan or black & white, no need to use a solid.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stud Dogs
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 12:16:41 PM »
I didn't mean to lecture you but there is so much involved  ;) alot more than you could ever posts on a forum. Firstly I would try and get yourself to some shows....is that the reason you want to breed?? to keep one for showing? If you go to some breed shows you can have a look around and see what you should be aiming for. It really does help if  like Jane says you have a mentor, I wouldn't have survived without mine  ;) all my breeder friends were there at the end of the phone for me and I don't know what I would have done without them to be perfectly honest.

Have you got an affix so you can KC reg puppies? Is your bitch KC registered? Are you a member of any breed clubs?

I suggest you get yourself a copy of "The Book of The Bitch" and have a really good read through the breeding section.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 02:05:02 PM »
Have you got an affix so you can KC reg puppies? Is your bitch KC registered? Are you a member of any breed clubs?

I suggest you get yourself a copy of "The Book of The Bitch" and have a really good read through the breeding section.
[snapback]151979[/snapback]

Ditto about the book.

I know what you mean Gilly but just so it doesn't cause confusion, you can register puppies providing the parents are KC reg and of the same breed even if you don't have an affix, it's just most breeders do choose one before they have their first litter  :) . It's quite difficult to get an affix that hasn't been chosen let alone think up six of them, this usually takes quite a while (or at least it did for us) so that's something you'd need to think about fairly soon  :D .
Cayley.

Offline Cazza_1978

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 02:43:48 PM »

[snapback]151979[/snapback]

Ditto about the book.

I know what you mean Gilly but just so it doesn't cause confusion, you can register puppies providing the parents are KC reg and of the same breed even if you don't have an affix, it's just most breeders do choose one before they have their first litter  :) . It's quite difficult to get an affix that hasn't been chosen let alone think up six of them, this usually takes quite a while (or at least it did for us) so that's something you'd need to think about fairly soon  :D .
[snapback]151999[/snapback]

Thanks again - I have the book and have refered to it on quite a number of occasions.

My breeder advised the book when I bought Abi and Bertie.

thanks also for the affix info as no I dont but the girls are kc reg.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
hi.
   sorry if i sounded like i was lecturing you, i wasn't.it's just that i remember my friend bred her german shepherds and the expence and time involved was so shocking to her she nearly had a nervous breakdown, i know if you are planning to breed you have to start somewhere. so i wish you luck and nerves of steel :lol:

Offline Cazza_1978

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 03:45:21 PM »
hi.
   sorry if i sounded like i was lecturing you, i wasn't.it's just that i remember my friend bred her german shepherds and the expence and time involved was so shocking to her she nearly had a nervous breakdown, i know if you are planning to breed you have to start somewhere. so i wish you luck and nerves of steel :lol:
[snapback]152016[/snapback]

Hi

Thanks I know everyone was meaning well it was just i felt a bit I was being shot down before I had even started.

This is all a learning process and I am finding it all very intresting.(hours and hours of reading)

as they say "Everyday is a school day"

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Stud Dogs
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »
Cazza, I wish you luck with the breeding if after all the research and health checks etc you decide to go ahead :)   Everyone has to start somewhere and by asking questions on here you are obviousley wanting to do things the right way, therefore being responsible :)    There are experienced people on here who will be more than happy to answer your questions :)