Author Topic: Breeding My Working Cocker  (Read 9533 times)

Penel

Breeding My Working Cocker
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 09:18:30 PM »
She is beautiful Mary do you work her regularly then ?  :)

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 09:35:05 PM »
Hi Penel,
Yes we do work her regularly either up in Cumbria where we have our country house or down south in Wiltshire where we have close friends who own land there. She's still learning as she's still only a young dog but her retrieve, drop at a distance and flush are all extremely promising. She'll also sit and lie on command, she's deffinitely the best behaved dog in our local park!  ;)

I hope you've got my pm, I honestly didn't mean to be retaliatory to your previous post. I've just been thoroughly bullied and put down by some beastly breeders recently who thought my idea of breeding was rediculous, even though they hadn't seen Bellas pedigree or any photos of her. They used the term 'leave breeding to the big boys dear' purely because I haven't had experience of breeding dogs in the past. Anyway their remarks are behind me know, and this forum is much more friendly and supportive. So I appologise for being too touchy  :unsure:

Best wishes Mary

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 11:10:09 PM »
Where did the breeder of Tilly start, I'd be interested to know her reasons for breeding?

I do agree that breeding is not for the faint hearted  ;) It's a huge commitment for the rest of the lives of any puppies produced.
[snapback]153892[/snapback]

Was that comment addressed to me ?
[snapback]153956[/snapback]

Yes it was I felt you were being a bit hard on Mary  ;) who really seems to be trying to do her homework. What I was getting at was that every breeder has to start somewhere. I agree, breeding just for one litter so you can keep one is not a good idea but if your doing it to improve the breed and produce good quality workers/show type, you have an excellent example of the breed, do all relevant health testing etc and you have taken on the responsibility and commitment of a reputable breeder I don't see what is wrong with breeding. But as I have said before there are many heartaches and pitfalls so it is not for the fainthearted.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »
Bella is a lovely pretty working cocker.  What a beautiful colour! :)
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 09:33:02 AM »
wow mary she is gorgeous.paddy has a few of her ancestors in his ped i will look it out and list them later.paddy is black and tan and looks just like yours in build and coat(though his coat is starting to thicken and grow at an alarming rate)his head is more domed but that seems the only difference.as has been said before every breeder had to start somewhere and i wish you the best of luck in your quest.i would love to see a more recent photo i bet she's better looking now she is older.there is a lady on here who posted pics of her worker a couple of weeks ago and he is stunning i think her name was debbie something she has posted in behaviour look her up and have a look at her dog he is orange!

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 10:34:23 AM »
Beautiful dog I have PMd you
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 12:16:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll go and tell Bella your compliments, I'm sure she'll blush!  :D   :rolleyes: She's such a little flirt anyway, this'll just boost her little ego to the max!  ;)
I'll go and try and look up 'debbies orange dog'  :)  He sounds very interesting and I'm sure he's completely gorgeous, he's a cocker, so he must be!  :)
Thankyou for the pm, I will try the websites that you've mentioned.
You're all so very kind, your help and support is very much appreciated  :)

Best wishes Mary

PS: I'll try and get some new photos of Bella, but first I have to get the digital camera back from my sister who has nabbed it and gone off on holiday for a few days with her partner!

Penel

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 12:38:48 PM »
I didn't mean to appear hard on Mary - have pm'd with Mary since anyway. :)  I agree with everything you have said though Gilly regarding breeding.
One point I made to Mary is that perhaps increasing the coat on Bella is not such a good idea - working cockers have very sleek coats for a reason - you don't want them to end up looking like a show cocker - all that coat just gets in the way !!! :lol:

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »
Hi Penel, Yes it's nice that Bella has a sleek coat because she's able to keep herself clean all on her own, we only have to groom her if she gets burrs on her or if she gets really muddy. Otherwise she's a very good self cleaning dog. Some of Bellas siblings however do have slightly thicker coats, slightly longer hair on the main body and a bit more feathering. This slightly furrier look is very appealing and doesn't seem to hinder their working ability and they're still able to keep themselves clean. Ideally we'd like Bella to have pups with this slightly furrier look, as Bella looks rather naked compared to her siblings and other working cockers!
I agree that a working cocker with a very long coat like show cockers would not be suitable for a working dog. Thay'd get tangled far too easily! and I'd hate to be the person tyring to groom a dog with long fur that's just been through a patch of goose grass!!  :o  ;)

Thanks for your advice Penel

Best wishes Mary

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 01:26:07 PM »
Hello Mary,

What you also might like to think about (when you know for certain whether you will or won't breed from her) is to look into getting yourself an affix. It is a word that you put at the start of the names of puppies you breed (or end of your current dogs names) that makes it easier to distinguish your dogs and you as a breeder from others. It takes a while to think up six possibilities, sometimes all of them are taken and you have to think up another six to try out, if your lucky you'll get your first choice but they have to go through an acceptance phase incase it sounds too much like an affix that is used already  :) .
Cayley.

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 02:45:09 PM »
Hi Mary!  I'm not a breeder and don't have a working cocker (have 2 show-type) but just have to say Bella is gorgeous!!!  I can understand why you would want more of her  :lol: .  It's good to see you're not going into this blindly.  Best of luck.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Workingspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 12:06:57 AM »
hiya, well we thought that considering Bella's full registered name is 'Wrenside Bella of Waitby', we think that maybe Wrenside could be our affix, as I think it's unlikely that this name has been used before by another breeder. It's the name of our country house up in a pretty remote part of the Eden valley. Waitby is the name of the place Bella was born, that's why we thought it appropriate to have that in her full registered name too. She's a northern bred dog so we though she should have some northern names!  :)

Thanks Tracy, What colours are your show cockers? I do love show cockers especially the tiny little girlies, they really tug at my heart strings! So soft and elegant combined with a loving but naughty streak which just makes them even more endearing   :wub: I've met some absolutely adorable little show type cockers in the park. They all seem to do that really sweet thing of ambushing faster and larger dogs who have gone to retrieve a ball and are returning back to the group of owners. The little cockers flatten themselves to the floor, pretending to be the grass, and then suddenly they spring up and knock the ball out of the bigger dogs mouth, quickly pick up the ball in their own mouths and proudly trot over to their owner, presenting the ball as if they'd gone all the way to fetch the ball themselves  :D  The little clever thiefs!  :ph34r:   :rolleyes:

Unfotunately Bella has never participated in this little bit of mischief making, I wish she would sometimes, because it's just soooo funny to watch  :lol:

Would love to see some photos of other peoples dogs, both workers and show type!  :)

Best wishes Mary

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 08:16:33 AM »
Here's Bella's pedigree:

Wrenside Bella of Waitby (our pup)

Parents:
Whaupley Silver Fern
High Hill Wanderer

Grandparents:
FT CH Rigfoot Teal
Thornie Teasil
Whitecourt Rollo
Davidon Julie

Great grandparents:
Anahar Whirlwind
Beechcroft Raven
FTW Goldengrove Sabre of Rowston
Rowston Smudge
Wernffrwd Adamson
White Walls Soft Centre
Bournepark Blade
Helkswood Lily

Great great grandparents:
FT CH James of Anahar
FT CH Tayburn Valentina of Anahar
Yogi of Islabank
Peat brown
Rowston Teal of Maesydderwen
Maesydderwen Beauty
FT CH Maesydderwen Kestrel
CH FT CH Ginger imp of Rowston
Graig Felin Adam
FT CH Gwibernant Snake
Craigfelin Bunterson
Murgwyn Bunty
Bisto of Bournepark
FT CH Wernffrwd Pawn
Whitecourt Rollo
Kentee Wagtail

Great great great grandparents:
Jordieland Tip
FT CH FT CH Lollipop of Anahar
Lammerlaw Muffin
FT CH FT CH Tayburn Cockle
Wren of George Way
Black Magic Rogue
Linswell Lark
Coco of Spatchcock
FT CH Stoorie of Laighpark
CH FT CH Ginger Imp of Rowston
FT CH Housty Solo
FT CH Wernffrd Melyngoch
FT CH Swallow Law Snipe
FT CH Wernffrd Melyngoch
FT CH Craig Felin Angus
Mount Pleasant Lass
Windmillwood Socks
FT CH Nancarrow Gypsy
Jasper of Gwibernant
Imp of Gwibernant
FT CH Bunter of Jordieland
FT CH Nancarrow Sooty of Graogfelin
Hartshorn Rob of Weavervale
Nancarrow star
Jasper of Gwibernant
Gwibernant Chimney
FT CH Rhu of Migdale
FT CH Gwibernant Snake
Wernffrwd Adamson
White walls soft centre
FT CH Stoorie of Laighpark
Catshaw Falsh
[snapback]153660[/snapback]

ok i got it wrong there are only two gwybernant snake and rhu of migdale,oddly enough they are not the names i recognised at first glance it was wernffryd melyngogh and jasper of gwybernant maybe they are in his ped and i only copied half!or i have them stuck in my head from my research!

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »
me again,i checked his ped (i forgot it was in curtiso's database in genetics)the two dogs i recognised are in pads ped,phew i thought i was going mad :lol: