Author Topic: stud dog wanted  (Read 5902 times)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Re: stud dog wanted
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 03:52:58 PM »
I agree, I tend not to post on a lot of threads - can't say anything nice, don't say it at all  ;)  ph34r
(Get a lot more work dun that way too ;) )
Nik x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
I don't think it is what was said as much as how it was said.  There is a very similar thread going on at the moment about the a similar issue, maybe some people need to check themselves a little before they let rip.  The alternative is that nobody asks for advice on things incase they get shot down in flames.  I appreciate that lots of people here are passionate about their dogs and the breed, but instead of getting on your high horse you should maybe try and change peoples opinions in a more constructive manner.   ph34r

What frustrates me about this type of thread is that it is obvious that the OP has not actually read any of the COL articles or pinned posts that provide advice about responsible breeding - if he had read any of the wonderful advise that is readily available (and done a search of previous posts, too), then it would have been pretty obvious that advertising in this way would be received the way it has been (by some  ;))

I agree that everyone has to start somewhere - but imo, the responsible thing to do first is to devour every written word you can on the subject, and then ask questions that haven't been answered, or obtain various opinions?

rewritten several times - as usual!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
I have not pinned post about responsible breeding because I am only a mere dog owner and do not breed or ever intend to breed.  I have read the post and for what it is worth do not agree with this sort of thing however, however I do also feel that if you have the knowledge and experience then there is a better way to educate people like myself who only want to learn.  Now kindly get off my case.

regards

Anita ph34r
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »
to be completely honest (and i'm trying to sugar coat...maybe a little)...i think that new members that come here asking advice are *sometimes* treated a bit like second class citizens...

i know that these issues are contentious, and getting back on topic, i wish you would reconsider breeding from your dog  ph34r (and so they should be) and will provoke debate (which is what a good forum should encourage), but starting off by what appears to be a verbal attack on newbies first posts is not the way to inform, educate or change peoples views.  some col'ers are quick to acknowledge if they've posted *bluntly* and i think that is very much appreciated, and any misunderstanding soon forgotten...but maybe we should remember we're all still learning....and us old dogs can learn new tricks (i know i'm a relative newbie, and a facetious one at that!)

it does seem that there have been a spate of newbies asking *old* questions and the reponses from us *old* members haven't been as accommodating as they have been in the past....and newbies don't have the time or know the forum well enough to search for answers...i know i didn't....don't...and still ask questions that have been asked a zillion times....

there endeth my sermon...

off to walk my working cocker.....(ooops the w word in public.... ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 04:06:36 PM »

To be honest I have felt the same recently reading alot of posts. I imagine its hard for people to keep typing the same things.

New people are joining all the time, and its easy to say read back over the posts, but to be honest I don't, and if thats the way forward, why aren't most of the locked.  

Why not have a section of these posts, where both sides of people opinons have been logged. Then we all just refer to that post.   I know some things are said without the best tact, this happens, but I do think somepeople are jumping in to quick to jduge or give critic. Some times the VERY GOOD ADVICE, does come over in other ways. .

I do undertsand sometimes people are on forums to cause problems, but a lot of the time, they are asking genuinie questions, and I would always to be prefer people to ask, rather than get get told they should have read better. Feels like I am at school.

I have tried to help by recently by reffering people to old posts, and tried to do this as I know many on here find themselves revisiting the same advice over and over again.

Maybe if you want to tell people they are irrisponsible for posting a question, fine, but it will avoid them asking, not avoid them doing.  ph34r

Last night the other person messaged me with loads of apologies for asking the questions and didn't want have caused trouble. She only wanted advice, as she was inexpeirenced.  We all agreed on the best advice not to breed, or anything like that, but isn't it better they ask and get the advice, be it AGAIN... or just go out and do it?

I sometimes feel silly about asking a question, but itts better to ask, than to guess.  ph34r

Love you All !!!   :luv: :luv: :luv:  

Any light relief anyone?

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »
Agree with Helen and Cathy ;) 

Why did I think twice about typing that? ph34r 

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 04:13:41 PM »
I agree two

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 04:19:23 PM »
I agree with Helen and Cathy too - very well put  ;)

Enjoy Hattie as a pet, she sounds as if she has a great life.   :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline the secretary

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »
I;d like to say thanks to those who felt us newbies were given a hard time.
I,d also like to say you have given me food for thought.
However the best thing i,ve learnt here is that my time would be better spent
walking my dogs than reading and writing endless drivel. :005:

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »
I couldn't agree more, I should be packing to go to Center Parcs!!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »
I do undertsand sometimes people are on forums to cause problems, but a lot of the time, they are asking genuinie questions, and I would always to be prefer people to ask, rather than get get told they should have read better. Feels like I am at school. ......

Maybe if you want to tell people they are irrisponsible for posting a question, fine, but it will avoid them asking, not avoid them doing.  ph34r

My post obviously wasn't re-written carefully enough - I'm not criticising the fact the questions are asked; and when it comes to first time puppy owners I know I have repeated the same advice several times recently within a few weeks  ;)

One of the reasons I find the recent *breeding* questions frustrating is that basic research is a necessary skill for potential breeders - when breeders research the pedigrees and genetics of the dogs they pair there is not always anyone who CAN answer the questions  :-\ The information is available in books/websites and other records but has to be located and interpreted by the breeder themselves  ;) So, being able to find pinned posts, and articles about breeding, especially when links have been posted in replies, seems to be a basic requirement for reputable breeding  :huh:

Anyway, I apologise to anyone who feels they have been jumped on, or object to any jumping I may have done  :-\ I intend to adopt a "only post if I agree" approach for a while as it seems to be the concensus at the moment  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
One of the reasons I find the recent *breeding* questions frustrating is that basic research is a necessary skill for potential breeders - when breeders research the pedigrees and genetics of the dogs they pair there is not always anyone who CAN answer the questions  :-\ The information is available in books/websites and other records but has to be located and interpreted by the breeder themselves  ;) So, being able to find pinned posts, and articles about breeding, especially when links have been posted in replies, seems to be a basic requirement for reputable breeding  :huh:

Anyway, I apologise to anyone who feels they have been jumped on, or object to any jumping I may have done  :-\ I intend to adopt a "only post if I agree" approach for a while as it seems to be the concensus at the moment  ::)

and also I feel that the best (and 1st) person to ask about breeding is the breeder who bred your cocker in the 1st place. I believe that some act as mentors to help guide the novice through the process which is IMHO the best way forward.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
\ I intend to adopt a "only post if I agree" approach for a while as it seems to be the concensus at the moment  ::)

I don't think you should only post if you agree !!!  I don't feel its about that. I respect your advice and the advice of others, its pretty much right !!  I just wish sometimes it was more tactfully put  :lol: :lol:  

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2006, 04:59:26 PM »
I do undertsand sometimes people are on forums to cause problems, but a lot of the time, they are asking genuinie questions, and I would always to be prefer people to ask, rather than get get told they should have read better. Feels like I am at school. ......

Maybe if you want to tell people they are irrisponsible for posting a question, fine, but it will avoid them asking, not avoid them doing.  ph34r

My post obviously wasn't re-written carefully enough - I'm not criticising the fact the questions are asked; and when it comes to first time puppy owners I know I have repeated the same advice several times recently within a few weeks  ;)

rachel - you're honest and that's a fantastic trait - you're also very quick to admit when you've been a bit blunt which i truly admire...and i also think you're very knowledgeable - i'm not having a go at you individually at all - just the way the entire threads have gone lately...

x ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 05:06:27 PM »
rachel

For what its worth, i think your points are very valid and did not single you out and if you felt as if I had I apologise, I just did not agree with the tone of thread.

Anita ;)