Author Topic: First Season Help  (Read 1378 times)

Offline whirlwind

• Site Member
First Season Help
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »
I have a blue roan cocker, 16 months old and she has never had her first season and I'm really getting worried. Is it normal? I have spoken to my breeder and she said I shouldn't worry but can't help it. She is kinda small for her age (weights only 9 kg) and well she has never been a great eater, which is a daily struggle ....
Should I take her to the vet for a feritlity check up or what to do ?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: First Season Help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »
Does it matter? She does sound small but cockers can be over two years of age before getting their first season. You're not thinking of breeding from her are you?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline whirlwind

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:19:26 AM »
Yeah that is why I am worried ...

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 07:58:02 AM »
Mmmm - one that you are perhaps not going to like the answer too - but if she is so small then she's perhaps not a good enough example of the breed to use for breeding, unless she is perfect in every other way and so imho I think you should probably put breeding from her right out of your mind.

Do you have a specific reason for wanting to breed and from this girl? There are a thousand questions you need to resolve for example, have you bred before? Have you done a good trawl of the breeding section to learn about the pitfalls of breeding? Do you have the support of an experienced Cocker breeder?

Is there a reason why she is small? Is she just very light or is she small in stature too? Does she have fine bones maybe?

Have you sourced a quality stud dog in preparation?

Sorry that's a lot of questions but all, plus many more, would need the right answers before you should go ahead.

To breed from a bitch needs to be strong and fit and a good example of the breed usually determined either by show results or by the bitches breeder or other reputable breeder advising if she could be used for breeding or not.

If you've set your heart on breeding then if you've done the groundwork you'll have the right answers to all these anyway - but if not then you'll see how much more work you have to do - let alone ensuring your girl is OK to breed from.

hth  ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline whirlwind

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 09:21:55 AM »
Yeah that was a lot of questions ....
She has a very feminine head and body and we are doing good at shows and we also gonna start competing obedience next month. She has also been checked for eye sickness and hips with no probs. I have a couple of males in mind but haven't decided yet, there are still few months to go (that if she ever decides to do her part)
This is something I have planned for quite a long time so yeah, Im sure about breeding :)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:33:22 AM »
Sorry if I'm being a complete numpty - but as she is so small, couldn't giving birth be risky for her, if her pups are *normal* size?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »
If you intend to breed from your girl, I think you must just be patient - some bitches (particularly particolours) have their seasons after 18 months old. Our youngest blue bitch was 20 months when she had her first season but we are in no hurry to breed from her so she will probably be 3 before she has a litter. I  would consider a 9kg Cocker to be too small for breeding but that's just my opinion.

PS I think Whirlwind is in Sweden where hip & eye tests are compulsory before breeding unlike here in the UK ;)
Jane

Offline whirlwind

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:52:56 PM »
Yes Jane you are right, hip and eye tests are a must before breeding here in Sweden.

Yeah 9 kg is not much so hopefully the nexts months she'll gain some weight. She takes extra B vitamin and stuff to help her out cuz this lil lady is really picky when it comes to food.

Btw Jane nice orange roan cocker you have!

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 08:50:04 PM »
Sorry for hijacking thread but after all I've read on here recently I just wanted to post my conversation at work today.
Her: Pippa's just had her first season
Me: So you're going to have her done soon then are you?
Her:No way. Got to let her have a litter of puppies first it's only fair.

This is a lady who works full time ,who says her 18 year old daughter( who is always in bad health ) can sort them while she's at work. I give up -her best friend is a breeder so she reckons she'll be ok.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 08:57:24 PM »
Sorry for hijacking thread but after all I've read on here recently I just wanted to post my conversation at work today.
Her: Pippa's just had her first season
Me: So you're going to have her done soon then are you?
Her:No way. Got to let her have a litter of puppies first it's only fair.

This is a lady who works full time ,who says her 18 year old daughter( who is always in bad health ) can sort them while she's at work. I give up -her best friend is a breeder so she reckons she'll be ok.

AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal