Author Topic: Weaning Pups  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« on: August 12, 2003, 01:25:38 PM »
My Pups are now 2 1/2 weeks old and seem to be doing fine but their mum is getting very tired and a little disinterested in feeding them.  She has to be encouraged to go to them and let them suckle.  There seems to be plenty of milk but she is still a little sore.  We are considering starting to wean the pups to help out a bit so to speak.

Would welcome comments and suggestions                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 04:16:36 PM »
Hi you two!  Im afraid I have no experience if this, however I know Jane and a few others breed so they might be able to help.  I have heard of people doing this to help them along!!!!

Anyone have any ideas????                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Weaning Pups
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 04:26:27 PM »
Hi Steve

Hopefully you will already have a copy of "The Book of The Bitch" on hand as this provides a lot of info about weaning puppies etc. You might also find this online article useful: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...1&articleid=887 There is no exact time when weaning should commence - it depends on how many puppies, how much milk Mum has etc. Most breeders commence weaning when a litter is between 2-3 weeks old & all have their own way of doing this, depending on what sort of diet they intend to feed their puppies.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 09:38:52 PM »
Hi Christine and Jane

Thanks for your input.  Jane, yes we have the Book of the Bitch and a great help it has been already!

Sophie is managing ok at present but is having to be encouraged to go in with the pups to feed them.  Its not a milk problem as there seems to be plenty and the pups are putting on one or two ounces every day.  We thought that we would start with a farleys rusk and whelpi?  Unless you think we should wait a little, I plan to start on Monday.

Thanks again

Steve                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Weaning Pups
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 10:48:42 AM »
Watch those Farleys Rusks Steve - the sugar content isn't good for puppies (can make them a bit "loose") though I think you can get unsweetened ones now. If the pups are getting plenty of milk from Mum, then I would be concentrating on introducing them to either meat or a good quality puppy kibble, but that's just my way of doing things ;)                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 04:47:36 PM »
Hi Jane

Thanks for the tip.  We have decided to go for a puppy food rather than the rusks.  Wish us luck!!

Cheers
Steve                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 09:09:55 PM »
Hi Steve,
Don't forget to soak and mash the kibble down first, and only VERY small amounts to start with.............Good Luck ;D                    

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Weaning Pups
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 11:07:59 AM »
Hi all

We used Eukanuba puppy food soaked in water and quite sloppy.  What a great moment!  Once they realised it was food, it was like a scrum.  Fantastic!  They ate it all but were not too keen on the water we offered them.  They are all sleeping now.  So is Sophie ( glad of the break I should think).

Should we give them this food 3 or 4 times a day from the begining of gradualy introduce more feeds as the days go on?

Once again would be grateful for advice and comments.

Steve                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Weaning Pups
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 12:00:51 PM »
They'll get used to the water if you just leave a bowl in their pen from now on & let them experiment for themselves (can get messy ;D)

Weaning is a v slow process - it normally takes 3 or more weeks to move from v small meals once or twice a day to bigger meals 4-5 times a day. So don't rush things - keep the meals v small to begin with & only once/twice a day for the first few days, then gradually increase the amount & frequency as time goes on & as you're confident that the pups' tummies can cope with more (give them too much too soon & you can end up with the whole litter getting the runs :()                    
Jane