Author Topic: help on breeding  (Read 2304 times)

Offline niknak

• Site Member
help on breeding
« on: August 26, 2003, 03:40:39 PM »
:)
hi can anyone help me,i own male cocker spaniels,and want to go into breeding,i'm in touch with my breeder too who will help me every step of the way,i have read every   cocker book on breeding,ect,my only worry would be,could i have males and females together,but obvoiosly they need to be seperated when in season,anyone got any tips or advise for me on this matter,i would be greatly appreciated,or if you don't think a good idea,then tell me too.i know alot on the genetics,as i lost a dog trough kidney faliure,so i want to do it right,ect,look forward to any replys,or help you can offer me.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
help on breeding
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 05:34:49 PM »
Hi Niknak

Breeding is not for the fainthearted as I'm sure you know ;) Most novice breeders would start with a well-bred bitch from an experienced breeder & then mate her to the most suitable dog available, after taking advice from the bitch's breeder. I would not generally recommend a novice breeder to keep dogs & bitches together unless you have the facilities to keep them separate so that the dogs do not get upset when your bitches are in season & so that no unplanned accidents occur - this would generally mean that you have enough land so that you can accommodate your boys far enough away from the girls to avoid getting them stressed out. Some males gets extremely upset when there are bitches in season nearby resulting in howling/barking & refusal to eat etc :(

Are you intending to use your own males at stud? Again this is not something I would think advisable for a novice breeder as you need to have lots of experience for this. It's good that you have some knowledge of the genetics side of things but do you know which lines the various genetic problems have cropped up in so that you can judge whether your dogs should be used at stud & to which bitches they would be most suitable? Do they have good pedigrees (not related to the dog you lost for example)? Have you shown them so you know they are good enough examples of the breed to be worth breeding from? There are lots of things to consider ;) It's good you have the help of your breeders - hopefully they have years of experience & have told you all about the necessary health-screening tests you should undertake before breeding eg annual eye testing for PRA as a minimum. I would also suggest you join the Cocker Spaniel Club as members receive up to date info on health issues like eye test results & hip scores, also FN carriers, essential information for any would-be breeder :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline shaz

• Site Member
help on breeding
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 08:17:54 PM »
hi nicnak
i only started breeding about 3 years ago , and although i really love it , you have to realise that it is very time comsuming and you have to plan way ahead using the right bitch or dog ,using stock from good lines and are a good example of the cocker spaniel are very important, i always plan at least 3 months ahead of the bitch coming into season, time of work, the dog i am going to use , and most of all is my bitch in the upmost condition, and the 8 weeks after the birth , these puppies will take over your life for the next 8 weeks, really thinck ,is this what i want, and breeding around xmas time is not a good idea.
i am not trying to put you off breeding , but i am just been straight with you, as some people are not.
shaz.                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
help on breeding
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 09:17:32 AM »
Hi NikNak
Good advice already given by Jane and Shaz.  There is a lot more to breeding than meets the eye.  Sometimes you may have to keep the puppies longer than 8 weeks (depending on new owners circumstances) and you have to be prepared to take puppies back if circumstances change etc.   ??? There is a very rewarding side to it in that you can take pleasure from making people very happy and make lots of new friends. :D Regards,Linda ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!