Author Topic: PRA/optigen tests and hip scoring?  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
Re: PRA/optigen tests and hip scoring?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »
14 is the average score for cockers so the lower the score below this level the better.

One thing that is not mentioned on the Anatagene site is that the FN cheek swab test has to be authenticated by a vet and that the dog cannot have anything to eat or drink for 1/2 an hour before the test. So you would have to book an appointment with your vet for them to carry out the test and sign the forms

Offline Caprilli

• Site Member
    • Caprilli Dalmatians
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
I had the blood for the 20/20 clinic (Optigen) taken by my Vet at the same time that I had him take the cheek swap and fill in the paperwork for Antagene. That way it was only one trip and less expensive in consultation fees. The Euro is quite strong at the moment so the FN test worked out almost as expensive (7 £ difference) as the Optigen test. Lucy is clear for both - Hurray  :shades:

Stephanie

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 07:04:37 PM »
That's great news Stephanie,

Em
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Caprilli

• Site Member
    • Caprilli Dalmatians
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Yes, I think so...... Thank you Em. I got all exited and had to remind myself that there are still a few more hurdles to take.... First of all she has to grow up and remain healthy and of the same temperament that she is displaying now, then of course, there is the HD test, the PRA/Glaucoma test and maybe the odd show where we hopefully do not embarrass us totally. Whatever happens next; right now I am over the moon with the results and my little fluff ball of a puppy that keeps us all amused.

Greetings,
Stephanie

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
so did you attend a 20/20 clinic??? or did you have bloods taken independantly??  The clinics are basically a mass testing clinic where we all benefit from a multi dog discount.  Pity that they gave the FN test to Antegene for Europe otherwise it too would have been alot cheaper...

Offline Caprilli

• Site Member
    • Caprilli Dalmatians
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 08:46:24 PM »
The person who organised the 20/20 clinic was so kind to send me the neccessary tubes for the blood sample. I took those and paperwork to MY vet and posted the sample to the 20/20 clinic. This way I could benefit from the discount without having to travel.

Greetings,
Stephanie

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 08:11:20 PM »
Well, the eye tests on my two were fine, hips checked ok too, still waiting for results back from the BVA but my vet (usually v reliable) has suggested worse case scenario 3:3 for Teal and 5:5 for Drake so would be very happy with those  :D

I have ordered swab kits from Antagene and also asked them and they confirmed that they are happy to extract DNA from the swabs I am sending for FN testing to send on to OptiGen for PRA testing so no need for bloods as well!  All I have to do is order the tests online from OptiGen and put a copy of the test request in with the samples to Antagene.  Two birds and one stone so to speak  ;)
Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »

I have had Bella & Tess optigan tested did not have any 20/20 clinics near me so arranged it myself, I think I've got shares in the vets now :005: also did not realise how expensive sending blood samples to America was!
Results were :-Bella is normal/clear  & Tess is a carrier

Bella was hip scored two years ago and has a good score,I have also had them tested for FN at Antagene but am still awaiting the results (Does anyone know how long this takes ? They told me they received the samples on 17th September)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
I'm confused now, is FN testing only availiable from Antagene now? When we had Georgie FN tested almost a year ago it was through Optigen  :huh:.
Cayley.

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »
When I asked Optigan about FN testing they said I could only do it through Antagene

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
When I asked Optigan about FN testing they said I could only do it through Antagene

Oh right, I've only really just noticed as were getting Elsie tested soon.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »
Optigen cannot offer the FN test to European Cockers unless they have been previously Optigen tested for prcd-PRA before December last year (under the terms of their licence). Think there's more info HERE
Jane

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
Optigen told me that the people who licence the FN testing sold the rights to Antegene it wasn't actually Optigen themselves so they have no control over the testing if you attend a 20/20 clinic.  Pity really because they are very swift, the site is easy to use and i could have benefitted from a rather large reduction which combined with the good currency rates at the moment made the cost very low.

I'm doing the FN tests with Ayla as well once I figure out how to do the request off the antegene website. 

I sent a copy of my clear PRA Optigen test results to the breeders not just of my dog but also those who bred the sire and dam and was a little surprised by one of the emails I received back, but disappointed too seems working dogs are too good to be tested they don't get eyesight problems >:(

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »
I'm doing the FN tests with Ayla as well once I figure out how to do the request off the antegene website. 

When I did these tests with Antagene , once I had it on the English translation,I went to the order test page and followed the instructions for people with no sampling kits,they then sent me within a week ,the sampling kits plus all the paperwork needed,I then made an appointment with my vet for the tests  & paperwork to be done
Then sent them off to Antagene.Hope this is of some help ;)

Luckily I received my results back from Antagene this  Wednesday for the girls -they are both Normal/clear!  :blink: