Author Topic: KC Papers ??  (Read 2806 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
KC Papers ??
« on: November 02, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
Hi There
We collected our puppy Jessie at the very beginning of October and was told by the breeder that her Pedigree and KC papers would follow on.
Today is the 2nd November and we still haven't received them?! Should we be worried? How long do they normally take? We have tried to speak to the breeder but we keep getting the answer machine and she nevr rings us back  ???
Thanks
Jane                    

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
KC Papers ??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 08:22:36 PM »
It's not unusual to pick your puppy up without the kc papers, but if she's not returning your calls etc. I think I would pay the breeder a visit in person.  When we collected Paddy, we were given the pedigree papers but the kc documents followed on within about a week.

I think a month is a long time with no contact!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
KC Papers ??
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 10:22:15 AM »
Jane - please don't name them on here - IM if you wish, but is it a reputable breeder you've gone to? If so then chances are things will be OK. Some people are not that good with the paperwork and it can take longer than it should. However, less reputable breeders have been known to never deliver this part of the deal, it can then come down to involving solicitors etc under the Trade Decriptions Act.

All being well, you'll have just hit a paper-phobe ;D and it will come through. It is a good idea to keep the contact up though. Is the breeder close enough for you to visit? If not, drop them a line, keeping a copy for yourself. If you still get no reply, send another by recorded delivery, again keeping a copy - just in case ;)

It just worries me a little that you didn't even get the pedigree. The KC stuff often comes later, but the pedigree should have come with the puppy.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
KC Papers ??
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 10:32:15 AM »
In addition to Pam's good advice, if you have the names of Jessie's parents, her date of birth & the name of the breeder, then the Kennel Club will be able to tell you if the litter has actually been registered at all. Hopefully this is just a breeder who is not very good with her paperwork, but you should definitely have received the papers by now. Do you have anything in writing saying that your puppy would be KC registered? Most good breeders would put a note on the receipt saying "KC registration papers to follow" or something similar. Without something in writing to this effect (or a newspaper advert saying the litter is KC reg), you would find it quite difficult to take any action if your breeder does turn out not to have registered the litter after all. Hopefully this isn't the case but it does unfortunately happen all too often :(                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
KC Papers ??
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 12:56:03 PM »
Hi Jane :)

That the breeder seems to be screening his or her calls is perhaps an ominous sign, and I also dont understand why you werent given the pedigree at the time you collected the pup - however, technically, the breeder can argue that s/he has up to one calendar year in which to register the litter, so if the litter has not yet been registered, I'd say all is not lost. Of course, best practise is to register straight away and there isnt really any excuse otherwise... if I were you, I'd carry on trying to get in touch in some form or another as Pam outlined below and see how you go :)                    

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
KC Papers ??
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 03:46:57 PM »
Maybe the paperwork has been caught up in the postal strike, now it's resolved maybe the kc documents will turn up soon                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
KC Papers ??
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 08:54:03 AM »
The KC are now very quick at dealing with registrations of litters and so I would suspect a problem with the breeder.   ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!