Author Topic: Blood types  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Blood types
« on: January 07, 2004, 03:41:37 PM »
Not asking this question for any other reason than it occurred to me today and I discovered I didnt have a clue - do dogs have different blood types in the same way that humans do?  :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Blood types
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 04:11:11 PM »
Yes they do have different blood types Mike. But unlike humans, if a dog is having a transfusion for the first time, any type canine blood will do the job (though it has to be matched for type for any subsequent transfusions). Interesting isn't it?                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Blood types
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 12:56:37 PM »
Now that IS very interesting - especially considering that in itself could be fatal to humans. I'm curious as to how that works now, so am going to try and look into it on the web  :)                    

lynseyloo

Blood types
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 02:23:50 PM »
only just seen this...   :shock:   I would never have guessed that..

but the other thing I thought is.. how..if a dog needs blood for a transfusion do they go about finding a donor?? I mean I know it sounds silly but you never hear of dog blood banks.. but i guess there must be some provision for it.

I would be interested to know more.

also thought.. what are the limits for blood to be taken for transfusion?? surely they can only take a small amount?? and presumably it differs from each size of dog??  very interesting stuff.                    

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Blood types
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 01:31:04 PM »
Hi - saw a program once about it - a Rottweiler that regularly gave blood, not sure whether there is a blood bank - I think it was just for his/her vet and they kept on premises.  Can't remember what program it was on - probably an end story on london tonight or something.

Nikki xx                    

lynseyloo

Blood types
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »
ooh wish I had seen that..I find this intriguing..                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Blood types
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 09:35:03 PM »
I've heard about this too - don't know how they store it though. There are doggie blood donors out there. I think it was on Animal Hospital.                    
Anita

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Blood types
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 10:10:46 PM »
One of the Girls at work often let her Golden ret be used as a donor.  He is now sadly departed :( , but the silver lining is when we still have quite a few of the dogs that he helped running around which wouldn't have been possible without him :)

Torie & co                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx