Author Topic: Help!!! OH wants to Breed Wherry - Now!!  (Read 7157 times)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: Help!!! OH wants to Breed Wherry - Now!!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
I recon they're basing their opinion of breeding Wherry on seeing the price of pups in free ads, they may be asking £400 each but if you compare it to a 9-5 job over 9 weeks you'd make £5 minimum in a 9-5 job whereas a litter is a 7-10 job and would work out about £3 an hour even if she had a big litter, would he work from 7am to 10 pm for 7 days a week with no breaks for £3 and hour  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
The money is not an issue, cost nor profit. If Wherry did ever have pups the majority would be going to family and friends for no money/donation. Also all of our vets bills are covered by the farm. There are horses, sheep, about 25 pet dogs and the pack hounds in the winter so it'd be kinda a drop in the ocean and not cost's that anyone would personally feel.

TBH I'd probably just go mad and tell him not to be such an irresponsible idiot and leave breeding to people who do it properly... not sure how well that would go down though!

I'd be having words with this vet about his irresponsible attitude as well  >:(  Is he advising all his clients to breed their dogs??

This is what i've done, I basically got angry and upset and him being such a blurry, idiot moron (and a bit more besides) and that he could do something so blindly with such potential consequnces for both Wherry and the pups.

I don't know what the vet is thinking - he said breed her now then get her spayed  :huh:  >:D

I said to him if he really wanted to breed (for God knows what reason) to get another pup and do it all properly. I think it's becuase his Dad and Cousin have really encouraged him as they want one of Wherry' pups, again thoug, I said that they aren't going to be another Wherry and the Stud with have a big part to play etc.

I explained the health testing (to the degree I know about it) and her jaw issuse and the potential health implications for Wherry etc etc. Perhaps is was being too 'shouty' and not factual enough. I may call up a few other vet friends and try to get them to have a word if he really insists.

If he was prepard to do it all properly with testing etc I'd be less angry but the is being the most irresponsibe of the irresponsible.

I want to slip her a doggy 'pill'. I wouldn't have her put through a termination.

TBH, he is disrespecting me but at the same time I can see why he would believe the vet. Also, the hold his family has is one of those things that has to be lived with  :-\

Wherry isn't even two - the vet has advise dit as her seasons are quite spaced apart apparantly
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
Who's dog is she, your or his?

If she's yours, then just say no!
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Is there the equivalent of a "morning after" pill that can be given to a bitch (and if so, over what time frame after the mating) to prevent pregnancy/terminate a pregnancy?  

Yes there is - and it's within 36 hours (I had to find out just incase when I couldn't get Jock into kennels when Fern was in season - ThankdoG never needed it as we were around when she started and kept them 100% apart till the kennels were free  :D )

Who's dog is she, your or his?

That's the trouble - Wherry is actually classes as his

doG what a night mare for you - good luck
and do something about that Bl@@dy V.E.T. - strong worded letter on responsible breeding is the least you should do imo

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 05:03:20 PM »
God I so know where you are coming from a the moment...men!!!!...it is like talking to a brick wall and even though you have sat endlessley at the computer and read so much they still think they know better, don't they......and if your OH is anything like mine, they say they haven't got time to sit at the computer or read something you print off.....does make my blood boil >:D >:D...as well, you may be in a town/village with other 'dog' owners who breed at the drop of a hat as this is 'how it has always been done' and what else oh 'you read to much into it...it will be fine' grrrr

It is hard to give advice on this but I think this rests on how you deal with your OH....I found that with mine over the vacinatting issue, once I had calmed down, i gently sugguested for him to phone someone I knew he looked up to (in this case his uncle)  knowing full well that he put him straight.
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:22 PM »
Is your OH going to be willing to take back a pup if circumstances change a few months or a few years down the line or will he expect a rescue to pick up the pieces? Circumstances in the most carefully chosen home can change meaning a breeder can be asked to take back one of their pups at any time. Homing with other family members doesn't prevent this happening - I'm sure I remember a COL member (Terry?) having to take back a pup that had gone to someone in the family but came back because they couldn't cope. We have just taken back a youngster we bred now - I could have done without the arrival of a lively adolescent badly in need of learning some manners but she's our responsibility, nobody else's. No-one should even think about breeding a litter unless they are willing to offer life time back-up for their puppies, whether a one-off litter or not. Sorry, I'll get off the soap box now :005:

Jane

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
Sorry, I'll get off the soap box now :005:

No please carry on. I want as many points I can use to deter him.

I have to say though, that this one is one that is not an issue. There would always be a home no matter what age for a pup to be returned to for any reason.
The Money, the open home and the possibility of not finding good homes for all of the litter would be the one thing I can say that would be treated properly. No pup would go from him to any home that didn't seem 110%, they would always be rather kept, even if that meant keeping half the litter and could always be returned, the money would be of no concern either.

If he turned round and said he wanted to breed from her next season after and pending good results of all health tests, finding a suitable stud etc I could cope, I'd not be happy and disagree but I could cope. It's the blind naivety, being so ill prepared, having done no research, urgency, the stud issue etc etc

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »
Well how about the fact you could lose your girl during labour? Not only would you lose a wonderful dog, but then have to hand rear a litter of puppies, ie 2 hourly feeding night & day for at least 3 weeks.
What about if something goes wrong & your girl aborts 7 live puppies 2 weeks early, the puppies fade, one by one & your girl is beside herself with grief (has happened to me).
How about if you have puppies born with defects, will you be able to have them destroyed or will you be prepared to keep them. . . . ?

I know that sometimes it must sound like us breeders are "holier than thou" but those of us that have chosen to breed have our fair share of heartache, having puppies is not all puppy breath & cuteness.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »
What about if something goes wrong & your girl aborts 7 live puppies 2 weeks early, the puppies fade, one by one & your girl is beside herself with grief (has happened to me).

That must have been heartbreaking  :'( :'( :'(
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »
What will you do if he does breed? How will you feel? Will your relationship change?   

This sounds like one of those issues that you will never agree on - so trying to convince him to change his opinion may be futile. Hopefully though, your relationship is strong enough for you both to compromise (for instance, breeding next season , after tests etc).  If he won't listen to your feelings, then tbh, his decision to breed Wherry may be the least of your problems  :-\

Not everyone agrees that BYB is irresponsible, no matter how many "facts" they are given - several former members of COL have shown that  ph34r  IMHO, the issue here is less about his opinion, and more about his willingness to compromise with you over an issue you are opposed on  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »
I quite agree with cob web. If he loves you, he should respect your wishes. I'm not sure if you said that you lived together, and if you did, then the dog is for both of you.

Forgive me if I am wrong. but you need to talk to him, not just about the in's and out't about breeding, but tell him you don't want your baby to go through this just yet. :luv:
Love machine

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »
What is his reason for breeding from Wherry if not for money or to have a wherry jr?? Just cos the vet said so? Men really are the lesser sex sometimes!!!  ;)

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 06:49:49 PM »

If he turned round and said he wanted to breed from her next season after and pending good results of all health tests, finding a suitable stud etc I could cope, I'd not be happy and disagree but I could cope. It's the blind naivety, being so ill prepared, having done no research, urgency, the stud issue etc etc

There's your compromise isn't it for you both.   Not perfect, but it could buy you some more time and keeps everybody happy in the meantime  :-\ 
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
I think you are right Rachel, right now i'm not so much angry at him as he is a product of that mentatality fenn2006 mentioned where it is the norm to breed from your dog. Also, touch wood in all reports no-one has had any particularly bad experiences but yes Kim, these are the issues that worry me first and foremost.

If he can't see my point nor respect it after a calm discussion then it's a whole other issue entirely.

I'll let you know after we have discussed it thououghly.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »

There's your compromise isn't it for you both.   Not perfect, but it could buy you some more time and keeps everybody happy in the meantime  :-\ 

I agree that's your best option if he's adamant on breeding  :-\