Author Topic: White on Chest  (Read 8796 times)

Offline Wendi

• Site Member
White on Chest
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
Hi

Thanks for all your advice, just got one more question, so far :005:.  I viewed a black cocker puppy - 4 weeks old.  He had a white patch on his chest but I could see a lot of black coming through.  The breeder said they are sure he will end up a solid black - what is your opinion?

Wendi

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
Re: White on Chest
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »
Maddi my black show type now 10 months had a white mark on her chest when we got her, it's gone now! 

Murphy, my 5 year old working cocker was 95% white when we got him, now he's covered in Black bits!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
depends on the size of the flash ;) small chest flashes can disappear completely ....

we bought home a liver working cocker with white paw tips and a big white chest flash.

We now have a liver working cocker with a considerably smaller liver roan chest flash, and no white paw tips (but that could be dirt  :005:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
How big is the patch and does he have white feet with it?

The white bit would have to be small for it to dissapear completely.
Cayley.

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »
In 1972 I mated a black dog to a liver and white pet bitch.

There were six puppies - a black and tan,  and five blacks.

BUT from the chin through to the belly all the puppies were pure white!

By the age of five weeks every trace of white had disappeared.

However white on the chest is allowed on solid black or golden show dogs.  I remember a most beautiful red dog bred in the 1970s by Irene Martin called Merrybourne Big Shot.  It had  an enormous white flash. He became a show champion before emigrating with his breeder to the USA.

John

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:37:55 PM »
Coco had quite a large white patch on her chest when she was a pup  :luv: - she is described on her KC papers and liver and white.  It has totally disappeared now though  ;)

Julie and Watson

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
ayla also had a big white blob on her chest as a puppy but thats slowly disappeared to what remains which is a few small greyish hairs.  Having said that I do know a lovely male whose retained his white marks so I suppose it depends on the size and the dogs.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »
This is Halle at 3 days old

and at nearly 10 weeks

now all she has is just a very few grey hairs intermingled with the black.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
awww hallle pup  :luv: :luv: :luv:

ours is a bit different as he's a worker - his dam is solid black with a white chest flash/sire is liver roan (not bred for colour obviously....)

white feet have gone, chest flash is now liver roan and much smaller, grey/white chin remains (and that is not a pierced lip, it's his split-ring on his tag  :005:)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
Tilly is also a solid liver working cocker, she's 3 now and still has a very large white flash on her chest, it goes right down between her front legs and she also has white toes on both her back paws and a little white chin. You can see all 3 in this rather soggy photo  :005:  :luv:  Her dam was solid black and her sire liver although I didn't see either as she's a rescue, I just have the details on her pedigree.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Wherry's white toe tips faded out totally and her very white chest gradually faded, it's still there but only very slightly, she is working so it doesn't matter so much either way though.
I guess it depends on whether you are looking at showing and i'm sure the experts will be along but I believe only white on the chest is allowed and solid is preferable. As I said though, I may have made that up, i'm not too hot on showing knowledge  :lol:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline papy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:11:30 AM »
I had my Cucciolo for a year now, he was registered as 'BLACK' on KC paper. Remember when we brought him home last year , he had a clear white chest & white bits on his toe top.

He is now 1 yr & a mth old,without me noticing the majority of the white bits on the foot are gradually gone. The white chest wasn't as white as before. But i reckon he will still  hav the white chest anyway since the mum has white chest too. :lol:

Offline juliaanne

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Roxy (working cocker) had a white flash on chest when we first got her at 11 weeks, now at nearly 11 months old the white has disappeared.  Her mother and father were solid black, but one of her older sisters was black and white speckled all over. 

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
Quincys white chesty flash has gradually got not so white, 10 months now and when he was 8 weeks it was really quite white

My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 06:36:24 PM »
We've got a black and tan who had a white chin when she was born and had a white flash on her chest, the white chin has completely gone and the white bit on her chest is so minimal now you can hardly see it.    I think it depends on the size of the white patch and whether any colour is coming through, our breeder seemed to know the white chin would disappear so if the breeder thinks it will disappear then it probably will especially if there is black coming through.   :D