Author Topic: A Level Topline  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
A Level Topline
« on: February 03, 2004, 11:20:10 PM »
There is a dog being shown at the moment that I have admired over a period of time. I like everything I can see about him, except he occasionally loses his topline on the move. Now as I understand it the topline is held together by muscle, but this dog has had comments made in critiques of being well muscled and fit.
My question is this....if I used this dog at stud, how likely will this trait be inherited. Obviously it is not something that I deliberately want to bring in.                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
A Level Topline
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 07:31:45 AM »
I went to a handler course this week-end and asked almost the same question. Only I asked how can you keep a good topline on a dog (cause one of my dogs sometimes loses it as well).

I was told  that the more excited (not over excited..)  the dog gets in the ring, the more firm the topline will be, because of the contaction in the muscles.

So perhaps he's just bored in the ring  :lol:  :lol:

I've also been told by another breeder that you're able to make a better topline by letting it run along your bicycle, at a gallop not at a trot.

But it's a very interesting question and I'm waiting to hear an answer  :D                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
A Level Topline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 09:56:17 AM »
I don't think there is only one cause of a soft topline - it could be lack of muscle tone or it could be a behavioural issue like boredom or excitement. I have noticed that some dogs who don't excel in topline can also be a little long in the loin as very short-coupled dogs tend to have firm toplines. It comes down to whether you can live with this fault - no stud dog is perfect, they've all got something you would prefer to be better :)  If you don't have the same fault in your bitch line & also puppies by the stud dog you like seem to be ok (if there are any in the ring to judge of course :wink:), then it's probably worth taking a gamble - breeding is always a bit of a lottery anyway as you never really know what is going to come out in the mix :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
A Level Topline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 10:18:23 AM »
:idea:  Thats very interesting Jane, cause one of my dogs is a little long in the loin and she often loses her topline, and she has a lot of muscles.
I've never thought of that before. :roll:
I did try to let her run beside my bicykle to give tighten it up, but we stopped when I made a stunt  :roll:   :roll:  :roll:                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Michele

• Site Member
A Level Topline
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 04:16:24 PM »
Thank you for your replies.
Like a lot of dogs,maybe he was just a bit bored after a long showing season. I haven't as yet seen any offspring in the ring, but he was made up to a Sh Ch before Christmas so I don't suppose it'll be very long  :roll:  :D