Author Topic: Will a black coat lighten with time?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Lili

Will a black coat lighten with time?
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »
Hum, I have a silly question...  :D

I was wondering if a black cocker spaniel's coat will get lighter with age? My previous dog, a Doberman, started to have a few grey hair around her nose when she reached 10 years of age, but it was not that noticeable. Basically, I'm wondering if a black cocker would become "back and grey" with time... Or will it mostly keep it's solid black coat. Genes must have a lot to do with that I gather...

Just curious!  :005:
"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." - George Bird Evans

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - Chloe - Doberman

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Will a black coat lighten with time?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
My two year old black girl has started to get the odd white hair, but they are only very few and far between.  Whe the girls went for their first injection at the vets, there was a lady in there with a VERY fat cocker who was extremely grey, I sad to her what a lovely old lady (the dog) she was, to which the woman replied she was only 2 1/2  :o  I then covered my tracks by saying oh sorry I didn't realise she was a blue roan......... no she is a solid black!!!  poor baby looked about 13 years old and about as fit!!!  >:(

I suppose it is like people some go grey, some don't and at varying ages.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »
a friend of ours brought his black cocker round to visit and we hadnt seen him for a very long time and hes 5 now but he is starting to get almost dark roan on him,he was a proper black puppy, but i know hes got roan in his family because its the same person who bred kizzy, my light roan so it in his genes ,i expect some coats will change and others wont
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
Roxy is solid black and although at 11 months old she has no grey or lightening (thank goodness) her coat has changed slightly in that she does have a slight reddish brown colour to the ends of some of her feathering. I have heard that is is dead hair?? but i wondered if this was genetic also because her father was a gold/red?
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
Yes it goes grey after too many washes  :005:  :005: No but seriously the black coated dogs do get the ocassional white hairs, some more than others  :luv:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »
I don't know how true it is but I have heard that black hair that is clipped short (such as inside the ears, on the muzzle etc) is more likely to go grey.....Molo's black ears are definitely showing signs of greyness where they have been repeatedly clipped  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
I don't know how true it is but I have heard that black hair that is clipped short (such as inside the ears, on the muzzle etc) is more likely to go grey.....Molo's black ears are definitely showing signs of greyness where they have been repeatedly clipped  ;)

True. I remember one black show bitch in particular, a well known champion who produced many champions, who had the most gorgeous silver ears as she got older  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:55:55 PM »
Badger is blue roan and his ears were jet black in his younger days.  His ears have now gone grey  :005: but the black parts on him have stayed black.  Doesnt answer your question, I know, but I thought I'd share with you  :D

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »
 :o I shouldn't have read this thread, i just discovered a white hair on Jarvis' back. :o >:( His mum was a parti though, so hopefully its not a sign of old age quite yet. ph34r :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
:o I shouldn't have read this thread, i just discovered a white hair on Jarvis' back. :o >:( His mum was a parti though, so hopefully its not a sign of old age quite yet. ph34r :005:

It's generally just muzzles and ears that go grey on older dogs, not the body coat  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
Lily has been going grey since she was born I think! Has a lot of white hairs on her snout and chest and has never been clipped. Just one of those things.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »
I had a black cocker, Badger who lived to 14, he only went grey round his
muzzle.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
My last boy was solid black until he reached about 8 - 9yrs old, then got very grey around his muzzle.  ;) He later developed silver stripes down his sides.  :005:

Offline mezzamo

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
Romeo is Blue Roan but have noticed a brown tinge to some of his black which is more noticeable since coming back from the groomer..also he has developed tan streaks on his feet..may have always been there but never noticed them previously and they are now quite prominent and I keep thinking he's cut his paw  ::) As he is a Rescue dog I do not know his genetics.
Mary, Tony & Romeo XXX

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
Roxy is solid black and although at 11 months old she has no grey or lightening (thank goodness) her coat has changed slightly in that she does have a slight reddish brown colour to the ends of some of her feathering. I have heard that is is dead hair?? but i wondered if this was genetic also because her father was a gold/red?

This brown stuff is also sun bleach caused by laying/playing in the sun, there is shampoo you can get for it :)