Author Topic: Optigen tested parents - what does it mean to offspring?  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Optigen tested parents - what does it mean to offspring?
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »
If the sire of a litter is Optigen tested clear and the Dam's sire is was clear, what does that mean to the litter? Is it possible to tell without knowing the Dam's results?
Thanks
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
Re: Optigen tested parents - what does it mean to offspring?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
If the sire of the litter is optigen tested clear then the pups in that litter will never develop or suffer from prcd-pra. Although the pups could be carriers as you do not know the status of the dam.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
So the Mum, even though her sire is tested, could be a carrier and then pass that on to the pups? Is that right  :huh:

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Yes that is correct

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »
So the Mum, even though her sire is tested, could be a carrier and then pass that on to the pups? Is that right  :huh:

Yes but at worst the puppies will only be carriers themselves, they will never develop the disease
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
Thank you, I think I may have found my pup and that's the situation.

Theoretically, while on the subject, if these pups, the bitches, were then mated with an optigen tested dog, their pups would again be in the same situation.

It's interesting as this working kennel is one of the first to optigen test and it seems they are encouraging people who are breeding from offspring by one of their tested studs to come back to them and use another (if that makes sense). In a way it's very good with regard to pra but in another it may result in a little concentration of dogs all of the same lines and cynically it's a good business idea for them.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
Thank you, I think I may have found my pup and that's the situation.

Theoretically, while on the subject, if these pups, the bitches, were then mated with an optigen tested dog, their pups would again be in the same situation.

Not necessarily, the only way to know is to test the bitch, they could be Clear themselves, mated to a clear dog they will then produce clear puppies. If it is a Carrier mated to a Clear dog will produce both Clears & Carriers.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »

It's interesting as this working kennel is one of the first to optigen test and it seems they are encouraging people who are breeding from offspring by one of their tested studs to come back to them and use another (if that makes sense). In a way it's very good with regard to pra but in another it may result in a little concentration of dogs all of the same lines and cynically it's a good business idea for them.

I think you're right to be cynical, I am as well - thing is there is already a lot of overuse of certain FT CH sires so it's already happening - the testing is another 'sales' banner in some ways.  'Fraid I'm not keen on popular sires, and will continue to search for dogs from smaller kennels (hopefully tested by the time we get another  ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

I think you're right to be cynical, I am as well - thing is there is already a lot of overuse of certain FT CH sires so it's already happening - the testing is another 'sales' banner in some ways.  'Fraid I'm not keen on popular sires, and will continue to search for dogs from smaller kennels (hopefully tested by the time we get another  ;) )

It's so difficult, this litter is tested but from 'popular Sire's' (all be it some of my faves) so the pedigree while on paper is very good there is the 'popular sire syndrome' involved  :-\ .
The other possible litter is, on paper, just OK, a mixed pedigree of good but less common dogs, but untested. (Obviously here I was more taken with the breeder and his knowledge etc than a 'red' pedigree)
I do wonder if there is more/less risk from a tested but very concentrated gene pool in a pup of other health issues  :huh: It's all so confusing what's for the best  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »

It's so difficult, this litter is tested but from 'popular Sire's' (all be it some of my faves) so the pedigree while on paper is very good there is the 'popular sire syndrome' involved  :-\ .
The other possible litter is, on paper, just OK, a mixed pedigree of good but less common dogs, but untested. (Obviously here I was more taken with the breeder and his knowledge etc than a 'red' pedigree)
I do wonder if there is more/less risk from a tested but very concentrated gene pool in a pup of other health issues  :huh: It's all so confusing what's for the best  :-\

Vicky, go with your gut instinct  :-*  In an ideal world (and maybe in years to come) all working cockers will be tested, and if yours is from untested parents you'll probably do the same as me and get the pup tested.  It may be risky and possibly shutting the door after the horse has bolted,  but that's a chance I am willing to take at the moment (given that I already have 1 untested working cocker  ;) )

I know health is vital, but so is temperament, biddability, shape/form and being happy with the breeder.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Kim

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »

Well that is the million dollar question, I'm so afraid that some people are just breeding for Optigen results, at the expence of other debilitating illnesses/conditions this applies in Cockers across the board, I know that there are sensible breeders out there, that take all things into consideration, but I know that some are literally just wanting to breed "A" dogs - scary for the future IMHO
www.Molkara.co.uk

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
Sorry to but in here, and I haven't a clue at all - but what is "popular sire syndrome"?  Never heard of it.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »
Sorry to but in here, and I haven't a clue at all - but what is "popular sire syndrome"?  Never heard of it.

Where a particular dog is frequently used at stud, often after being succesful in the show ring or as a working dog.
This then has the knock on effect of finding a suitable sire for future offspring without compounding the line too much.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
I'm so afraid that some people are just breeding for Optigen results, at the expence of other debilitating illnesses/conditions this applies in Cockers across the board, I know that there are sensible breeders out there, that take all things into consideration, but I know that some are literally just wanting to breed "A" dogs - scary for the future IMHO

Completely agree Kim  ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
I'm so afraid that some people are just breeding for Optigen results, at the expence of other debilitating illnesses/conditions this applies in Cockers across the board, I know that there are sensible breeders out there, that take all things into consideration, but I know that some are literally just wanting to breed "A" dogs - scary for the future IMHO

Completely agree Kim  ;)

well said Kim  ;)
helen & jarvis x