Author Topic: clear definition about three breeding methods.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
clear definition about three breeding methods.
« on: July 10, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »
I am currently reading a book, 'Breeding Better Dogs' written by Carmelo L. Battaglia, Ph.D.

But he made an obscure definition about breeding methods.

In this book, He wrote Outcrossing could be linebreeding. And also Linebreeding could be Inbreeding.

Before reading this book, I thought I had definite understanding about breeding methods. But I am totaly confused now.

I know pedigree research is very important for scientific breeding which the author also says in the book.

He says that doing pedigree-research, The mating can be found out to be in, line or outcrossing.

cuz I'm not that fluent in English, even though I read  such books but It's very difficult that I totally understand things related to genetics or scientific documents.

Could anyone make a clear definition about these three breeding methods?

Any reply would be appreciated.                    
ChangBin(Chris)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 08:34:07 PM »
I am currently reading a book, 'Breeding Better Dogs' written by Carmelo L. Battaglia, Ph.D.  

But he made an obscure definition about breeding methods.  

In this book, He wrote Outcrossing could be linebreeding. And also Linebreeding could be Inbreeding.

Hi Chris, this might help clear things for you a little, as I understand it.....

In Breeding is when 2 close relatives - perhaps Grandfather/Grandaughter are mated.

Line Breeding is where both the dog and the bitch share some of the same ancestors.

Out Crossing is where there are no shared ancestors on both sides of the pedigree.

There may well be alternative views to this, (which may help clarify the Author's view) which I would also be interested to hear  :D                    

Offline Phaedra

• Site Member
    • Blue Runes Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 05:45:13 PM »
I'm afraid I have no clear definitions and as Michele wrote, I belive that there might be alternative interpretations around. I once red an article about a famous breeder of sport horses (show jumpers, international level) who marked all names in the pedigrees with figures depending on how many generations back the horses were. Then she summed up and judged de degrees of line/in/out-breeding of her foals-to-be. This may not be a common method, but it shows that even though there ARE clear definitions in the English language, breeders and authors may do their own and still use the same words.

However, I have an idea about this statement:

"In this book, He wrote Outcrossing could be linebreeding. And also Linebreeding could be Inbreeding."

Mabye the authors intention is to stress that when you really start to study pedigrees it may turn out that your dog is closer or less related to the bitch/stud dog you had in mind that you first thought? Someone I spoke to had asked a breeder why the linebreeding percentage of a studdog posted on private website on the kennel differed from the percenage posted on the offical site for the breed (c. 10 and c. 6 %). The reply was that the breeder had based his calculations on ten generations, while the "official" figure was based on six generation.

Mabye it was similar cases the author had in mind? Just a thought...

Anneli                    

Offline Phaedra

• Site Member
    • Blue Runes Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 05:50:34 PM »
Somehow I managed to post my last message before previewing it! SORRY for bad grammar and spelling, hopefully somebody understands something....

Anneli - not fluent in the English language :oops:                    

Offline Ulla R

• Site Member
    • http://ladysplits.tripod.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:07 AM »
What I have found intresting is:

When you calculate how closely the dogs are related (I do not know how it is called in english) it generations which counts. When you have a pedigree of 3 generations (or 5) and it looks that the dogs are not related. But the truth with 10 generations can be another matter.

example: my field bred has aroud 7 points with 9 generations, but only 5 with 5 generations. This shows how limited is the genetic poll of our dogs.