Author Topic: Black/White Cockers  (Read 4215 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Re: Black/White Cockers
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »
My Bitch 'Morgana's Dad was Black and her mum was Blue Roan, so as you can see she is black with slight Blue Roan markings on her chest and nose. Her babies that she had with a Red male where some Black and some Red.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »
My Bitch 'Morgana's Dad was Black and her mum was Blue Roan, so as you can see she is black with slight Blue Roan markings on her chest and nose.

I didn't realise that the "degree" of roaning was influenced by whether or not a sire/dame was solid  :huh:  OH likes dark roans - are these more likely to occur in litters where a solid and roan are mated  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
Can I add, that Ollie's Dad was blue roan, and Ollie's mum was liver roan. There were 4 pups, 2 blue roan, 1 liver roan (ollie :D) and 1 liver roan and tan(?). Where the hell did the tan come from? :005: Ollie is quite light liver roan. Could this be because both parents were roans?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »
Can I add, that Ollie's Dad was blue roan, and Ollie's mum was liver roan. There were 4 pups, 2 blue roan, 1 liver roan (ollie :D) and 1 liver roan and tan(?). Where the hell did the tan come from? :005: Ollie is quite light liver roan. Could this be because both parents were roans?

Both parents would have carried the "and tan" gene, which is recessive, in order to have an "and tan" in the litter. Neither of Jarvis' parents had tan markings but they must have both carried the gene. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 11:05:42 PM »
My Bitch 'Morgana's Dad was Black and her mum was Blue Roan, so as you can see she is black with slight Blue Roan markings on her chest and nose. Her babies that she had with a Red male where some Black and some Red.

What a beauty  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means, but I know in other breeds the grey colouring is known as Blue isn't it, so maybe it's cause the specks or roan part are this colour or I may just be making it up?    :shades:

Blue roan isn't genetically like the true "blue" colouring you will see in say a Great Dane. Blue roans are called blue because the effect of the roaning (especially on darker blues) does appear to give a blue-ish hue to the coat.

If anyone wants to read more info about Cocker Coat colours and the genes involved, here are 2 links to get you started :

http://www.ecsca.org/ecscoat.html

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/colours.htm

Jane

Offline aledlewis

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 02:00:48 AM »
Poppy is a black and white - here she was at six months old-

and here she is on her first day with us - must upload a twelve month photo.

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
Blue Roan is well known (although not what you'd call common) among horses. Roan refers to a blending of base coat and white hairs throughout the coat rather that groups of colours (for example a 'white' horse with small groups of grey/brown/chestnut colour is called 'Fleabitten' so is the spaniel equivilant of being 'Ticked')

Roaning in horse genetics (i belive) isn't a COLOUR its a PATTERN gene (though in horses the head, mane, tail and lower legs should be solid base colour - black for blue roans). Also, Black and Blue Roan wording are interchangeable (particually in the US it seems.. they use black roan for a dark roan and blue for a lighter one)

It's one of the reasons Pepper is a blue Roan.. I always wanted a blue roan horse.. and she's the closest I can get lol

http://www.virginiacowboy.com/ - good example of blue roan horse..

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
  • My Beautiful boy Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
Here is Shadow a black and white Lovely

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
dont know if this is true but i was told they are called blue roans because there skin is blue, which is certainly the case with my max, and its not cos he is cold  :005:

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »
orin is black and white like Mrs Ts but he was out of a blue roan by a black and white dad.  so no idea of the genetics.!!! he is very sweet and i love black and whites but the pure blacks are lovely too.  black and whites are MAD. but then i think it is all cockers......

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:58 PM »
Ollie's (and Dave's) Dad, can indeed father liver roan and blue roan, he can also father orange roan and blue roan and tan depending on the genes the bitch is carrying... which reminds me I still haven't sent you those pics sorry! Will do.

I've been told that dark blue roan is dominant over light blue - Dave is a very dark blue and although Dad Harry is a lot lighter, Dave's mum was a dark blue also and I think most of his litter are very dark blue.. There weren't any liver roans in his litter or the first litter that his mum had with Harry though, so maybe Dave's mum doesn't carry the liver gene but Ollie's mum does?

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
Domino is a B&W cocker; his mother was blue roan & his father orange roan.......there were 4 pups; 2 orange roan & 2 B&W.

Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
orin is black and white like Mrs Ts but he was out of a blue roan by a black and white dad.  so no idea of the genetics.!!! he is very sweet and i love black and whites but the pure blacks are lovely too.  black and whites are MAD. but then i think it is all cockers......

He must be related to my Alfie by the sounds of it  :005:

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
I love the black & white colour - i think they look very smart & flashy particularly if they are well marked :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman