Author Topic: Sable colouring.  (Read 9267 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Sable colouring.
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
I have just been wondering as you do and this is only out of interest, but how do you breed the sable colouring. Do you have to have two sables or do other colours have the sable gene as in other colours if that makes sense as I am in no way an expert.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Sable colouring.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
Solid colours can produce sable if they have the gene for it. I may be wrong but I dont think partis can produce it.

This link is about American Cockers but the genetics is the same (you can scroll down to "explanations and answers" for an interesting read)

http://www.artistrycockers.com/Sable%20Genetics.htm
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
Thankyou. I shall have a good read. It's fascinating.

Offline Katiee

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
I think that sable is a dominant gene. My friend has a sable boy and was told by his breeder to put him to chocolate and she would get sable pups. Not sure how it works exactly witout reading about it properly, even though I did genetics at uni!!!
There is a sable particoloured dog somewhere in the UK I think imported from Sweden or Germany and she is the first parti sable in the UK. Can't remember the website, will have a look and get back!! ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
WOW. How fascinating. Would be great to see a picture of that if you can find it.  ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
There are quite a few sables (mainly solids but also some partis) in the UK now (please don't post links to the websites of their owners though as this would be advertising & also don't post photos without the owner's permission, thanks ;))

The link to the American Cocker site Spanielcrazy posted is the best one I've found when it comes to explaining the genetics of this colour although I'm not sure the genetics will be exactly the same in English Cockers. There's a gene company researching into this at the moment who think they have found the sable mutation for English Cockers and that it is different to the mutation in American Cockers so who knows really?

Jane

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »
I may be wrong but I dont think partis can produce it.

Well, I am wrong  ph34r :005:

There is a sable particoloured dog somewhere in the UK I think imported from Sweden or Germany and she is the first parti sable in the UK. Can't remember the website, will have a look and get back!! ;)

Not sure if this is the same dog, but have a look  :luv: (click on sable roan on the menu at left) 

http://www.cockerworld.net/

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JohnW

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
I am still on the fence wether I like this colour, I guess it will possibly grow on me :-\

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
I just love the Sable colour.  :luv:  Must admit i didn't know about this colour until seeing a pic on COL very recently and have never actually seen one in the flesh.  ph34r

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:50:08 PM »
I've seen one at a show and they are just as beautiful in the flesh. I think it is actually where I first saw one as well. I think it's a gorgeous colour.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Hmm I think I sniff another dog being added to make 6scompany :005:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »
:005:  :005: I would love another, but I think I'll stay 5scompany for now.  ;)

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
its another of the Cocker colours i love, i would love to have one of each a sable parti and a solid chocolate sable but a black sable would do too!  :005: my OH wants a solid gold though and/or an orange roan so i guess i would have to forego my sable/chocolate preferances if i wanted any more Cockers!  ::) but saying that i wouldn't get very far in the show ring it's bad enough showing a light chocolate roan and a black/tan never mind a sable :005:
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline JohnW

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
I am might be wrong but sables do quite well in The USA in the show ring there or so I read in one of my countless books ;)  I said I would stop at 4 dogs I now have 6. :D

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »
its another of the Cocker colours i love, i would love to have one of each a sable parti and a solid chocolate sable but a black sable would do too!  :005: my OH wants a solid gold though and/or an orange roan so i guess i would have to forego my sable/chocolate preferances if i wanted any more Cockers!  ::) but saying that i wouldn't get very far in the show ring it's bad enough showing a light chocolate roan and a black/tan never mind a sable :005:

This is the problem with cockers isn't it?! I want one of every colour!! A little cocker rainbow!! How many colours are there? In my head I counted 15!! Thats a lot of cockers!!