Author Topic: How Much Should I Interfere?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
How Much Should I Interfere?
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:07:56 AM »
Question about new born puppies:

When they "eep" and look for Mum should I keep a pretty constant watch and make sure they're feeding or just leave them?

She licked them so much they seemed cold for ages but they are dry now and warmer. I just want them to feed and feed.

I'm usually in favour of nature's way but ... :unsure:

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »
Cant give you any advice on what to do not had any experience of new born puppies. However there are plenty of the people on here that have and im sure they will guide you well.
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 09:38:45 AM »
Any newborn litter needs constant monitoring which usually means someone has to be on 24 hour watch ;) You need to ensure that the room is kept constantly heated to around 75 degrees (F) as puppies getting chilled can go downhill very quickly. Newborns do not feed constantly but of course you need to make sure they are getting enough - healthy puppies have plump little bellies & will twitch about all the time, even when asleep. You should weigh puppies daily to make sure they are gaining weight, though for the first few days you may not see much of a gain (puppies should of course all be weighed soon after birth so you can monitor their growth).

Jane

PS Questions about breeding/litters etc are permitted on this board but general litter announcements etc must be made on the Litters Planned & Safe Arrivals board (subject to conditions)
Jane

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 09:10:09 AM »
Other than temperature, another safe guard check is to pinch the puppys skin gently - if it bounces back then the puppy is well hydrated. If it stays peaked and slowly returns then you have a dehydrated pup which needs your help.

Keep a close eye on them but try not to intervene if the mother is coping well.

Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!