Author Topic: Dna  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Dna
« on: October 24, 2004, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi,

A friend of mine is hoping to have her own Cocker very soon. She adores Jazz to bits, and after much thought they have decided to have there own.

I called the breeder we got Jazz from and she said she had just had a litter, but was keeping hold of them all until they are 6 weeks, and had a American DNA test. This is the first time she having it done, and saves her have to have puppies being eye tested.

Do you know any further information about this.  

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Dna
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 03:14:50 PM »
Hi Cathy,

Have a look Here for more info on the DNA test.

I had Dallas done earlier this year and will also do Disney at some point in the future, but I'm under the impression that if you plan to use a dog for breeding, you should still have an eye test carried out under the BVA scheme. I don't think the DNA test is recognised by the Kennel Club yet so isn't an alternative to annual eye testing. I may be wrong though - wouldn't be the first time ;)

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dna
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 04:17:29 PM »
Gill is quite right - if you have your Cockers Optigen tested, it's still recommended (by Optigen) that they are eye tested annually as the DNA test covers just one hereditary eye disease (prcd-PRA) but other eye problems do exist & still need to be tested for. We have had one of our dogs Optigen tested & will have others done as time goes by but we will still be taking them for annual eye-testing.

Incidentally, 6 weeks is far too young to let puppies go to their new homes anyway so I would hope any breeder would keep pups until 7-8 weeks (8 weeks is the minimum age laid down in the Cocker Club Code of Ethics)

Jane
Jane

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Dna
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 04:53:47 PM »
Thanks for that, Just to clarify, when she said about 6 weeks, she was saying my friend wouldn't be able to pick her puppy out until at least then, as after the DNA, she wanted to take first pick to have herself first. Not to let the puppy leave the litter.

Thanks again.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dna
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 05:10:07 PM »
Just to clarify, when she said about 6 weeks, she was saying my friend wouldn't be able to pick her puppy out until at least then, as after the DNA, she wanted to take first pick to have herself first. Not to let the puppy leave the litter.

Oh right, that's ok then ;) I guess the breeder wants to pick an A1 pup so can't do this until the results are back which can take a while.

Jane
Jane