Author Topic: Waiting Lists  (Read 8031 times)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2004, 10:53:06 PM »
Having had one litter (not me personally)I would now always err on a cautionary side. We vetted prospective new homes. We turned so many people down, but we still made an error of judgement.We took this pup back and returned them their money. We still have him now. He needed vet treatment, and we feel so guilty.
If ever we did it again, we would be even more picky. :(  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Waiting Lists
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2004, 11:10:01 PM »
I was discussing this thread with OH, and he asked a question I couldn't answer; "If breeders find it so difficult to give up their pups,  and expend so much energy seeking suitable homes, why do they breed at all?"

For me, finding the right homes for puppies is the very worst part of breeding although we have been very lucky & many of our puppy buyers become good friends & most keep in touch with us, even if it is just a note with a photo at Christmas time. We only breed with the intention of keeping a puppy ourselves to continue our line - we do this because we love the breed & enjoy our hobby of showing Cockers. If we were not seriously involved in the breed in this way, we would not breed as the many hours of worry & the hard work involved would not otherwise be worth it. As it is, there are often times when I do wonder whether it is all worth it :(

I have absolutely no wish to promote our "services" widely. As has been said before, most hobby breeders with a good reputation have no need to advertise & already receive an almost constant flow of enquiries. Such breeders will try to give guidance to people looking for a puppy & quite a few breeder websites now include advice on puppy farming & reputable breeding. Of course, breeders are human beings too with human character failings so some may not have good people skills & may even come across as brusque until they get to know someone. On the other side of the coin, enquirers can also be less than polite when contacting breeders - I've had phone calls late at night & more than a few emails from people wanting a puppy which come across as downright rude so it works both ways!

Jane

Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2004, 11:34:02 PM »
I homecheck and foster for rescues. I am always making decisions about the suitabitlity of owner's for dogs. I'm afraid I am very intrusive. I ask as much as I possibly can about people, their lifestyle, their home. I ask for all family members to be present. I take a dog to homechecks to see how the family (particularly children) react.

If I am homechecking for my own foster dog I am sometimes even more intense with prospective owners...I might have had that dog for weeks on end, I want to know it will be loved and cared for forever.

Therefore, I think if I bred puppies, I would be VERY careful about where they went. I've sadly learned through rescue that although most people are decent and well-meaning, lots of people are unprepared for puppies and can't cope, some people can do a good impression of a perfect home and turn out to be the opposite...I'm sure that most breeders feel that over time they start to "see through" people more...and they want to spend as much time as they can speaking to people who might be taking their precious pups away with them.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Waiting Lists
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2004, 07:28:57 AM »

Every home was vetted and checked, and questions were asked but in a manner that was not seen to challenge the people concerned. One of the first things I was taught was that unless the people who visited to rehome an animal understood why they may not be suitable then they would find an animal somewhere else - and it too would end up under our roof at some point. The adoptive family were as much our responsibilty as the adopted pet.
Isn't this the exact reason vetting should be so thorough? I personally do not use a questionaire, I prefer to talk to people as I like to get a feel for them. It is quite surprising what a telephone chat can reveal ;) I go over quite a lot of information about the breed and the day to day care of a puppy during that initial phone call. I have covered issues that prospective owners have not considered which on occasion has lead to the enquirer deciding a young puppy is not for them, which they have been grateful for. If we decide an older dog may be more suitable I will try and locate one for them.
I am always polite and courteous even if my children are waiting for their dinner or the phone rings at 10.00pm! The same can not always be said about enquirers. I have had rude and aggresive people, even the odd one wanting a birthday present for their 5 year old child that weekend!

I also breed with the intention of keeping a puppy, my hobby is showing. I am confident that the puppies which I do not keep are good examples of the breed with excellent temprements that have been reared lovingly and carefully who will go on to bring their families many years of joy. This makes all the work worthwhile.

I have never had a problem with people objecting to my vetting procedure all are very willing and eager to provide what ever information I need, many have become firm friends and they know I am always there for them if they need me :)

Tracey.
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

lynseyloo

Waiting Lists
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2004, 08:27:08 AM »
I have read this with interest, and thought I would add here, that in my search for a cocker, be it rescue or a pup, I spoke to some wonderfull caring people, who happen to breed,and/or rescue and I think the issue is getting confused here... people can be stern, rude, abrupt in ANY walk of life, not just cos they happen to be breeders.

I did talk to one lady that was very rude, however I just put that down to her being a tad mental..  :lol:  and brushed it off as I knew I would choose not to go to her for a puppy, it does work both ways, we as prospective parents have the right to choose them, and they have the right to choose us, we just hope they both happen at the same time  ;) All the people I spoke to were extremely nice, and went out of their way to offer help and advice, even if they weren't expecting a litter.

Could any of you critiscising these people say you would offer the same courtesyand commitment to ..say a stranger up the road that took it upon themselves to ring you up and ask your advice on ..I dunno...gardening?? every once in a while?? even at 10pm??? I think not...    ;)

edited to add... I didn't mind in the slightest any questions they had, I wouldn't have minded home visits, meeting my children, seeing how everyone interacts with dogs etc... I offered vet references and personal ones if so required, it really wouldn't have bothered me if they had wanted to ask me ANYTHING, afterall it is their choice, however I expected to ask them anythin in return.  

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2004, 08:46:45 AM »
I've said this before but I found everyone I spoke to was helpful and friendly but then I did phone at a decent hour and also ask if it was convenient for them to talk  :)  

I totally agree that they manner of some people looking for a pup is less than desireable.  I find it quite strange to see posts where the prospective puppy owner asks breeders with a puppy available to ring them  :D  - any reputable breeder will not need to go searching message boards for someone to take their pups but a lot of people still think that a pup is just going to drop into their lap at the exact moment that they want it   <_<  ;)  :)

I think that the majority of breeders do a fantastic job (I certainly couldn't do it as I'd have 101 cockers - i'd keep them all) and they should be given credit for this - like someone said before - if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have our little 'uns  :D  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Waiting Lists
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2004, 09:03:14 AM »
JUst wanted to apologise to Tidge for hijacking your thread  ;)  although it's an interesting discussion isn't it ? :)  

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Waiting Lists
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2004, 09:05:59 AM »
From my own experience, all but one of the breeders I rang were extremely helpful and infact I must have spent 45mins on the phone to one breeder who talked me through any concerns I had.  She was a great help even though she did not even have any puppies for sale herself ;)   I was more than grateful for all her advice and the contacts she then gave me.

On the other hand, there was one breeder who really upset me with her abruptness.  The first question I was asked was 'Do I work and for how long?'.  I answered maximum 4 hours a day.  She replied that she would not even consider me as a prospective owner and her tone implied that she could not even believe I was considering getting a puppy :o   End of conversation, she had put the phone down before I could say anymore.  I was stunned, angry and upset :angry:

I had no chance to add that I would be taking the first 2 weeks off work to settle a puppy in, that I worked literally on the doorstep of home and that I could pop home at any time and finally that I would be changing my hours so that I only worked 3 hours a day.

However, this experience in no way would have made me veer towards a puppy farm.  It did however make me more determined that I would find the right puppy and prove that I would be a good, loving and responsible owner ;)

As Jane said earlier though, it obviously can work both ways.  I'm sure breeders could reel off many stories from downright rude enquirers too :rolleyes:  There are bad apples in all walks of life I'm afraid.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2004, 10:01:33 AM »
I looked in the free ads for my puppy - phoned the breeder, was given directions, met, taken to their farm, chose a puppy, handed the money over, given papers, food and puppy pack - then left.

Went back to same breeder a few months later - told him i had got my last pup from him - took the last one that was there ( having a quite a few probs with her at the moment) and went home.

Not once was i asked any questions as to whether i worked or how suitable i may be, he didn't even question the fact that i had only recently bought one from him.

I had done my homework before having a puppy ( i have had dogs before but not from pups and not for a number of years ) had no doubt that i would have a cocker.

Its only now after finding this site ( invaluable to anyone with a puppy - cocker or otherwise ) that when i go to have another puppy ( or most probably a rescue )- and i will in a year or two if and only if i can sort probs out with the youngest - that i will not go down that route again.  

I certainly wouldn't have minded being asked any questions - would have quite a few of my own for them now too.

I have bred snakes and always asked questions of any buyer and would not have handed them over if i did not think they were suitable - they were all given care sheets and my phone number!!  And told that i would take any back if they changed their minds whether it was a 1 mth or 2yrs later that they no longer wanted them.

You only have to look on the free ads to see how many cocker are advertised  for sale - not just from breeders but from owners who can no longer cope with them.
Would these owners be looking for new homes if they had been questioned thoroughly beforehand??  
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline PennyB

Waiting Lists
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2004, 10:14:02 AM »
You only have to look on the free ads to see how many cocker are advertised  for sale - not just from breeders but from owners who can no longer cope with them.
Would these owners be looking for new homes if they had been questioned thoroughly beforehand??
I think some owners really do think they can cope with a pup but in reality they realise how much work is involved and are totally unprepared for the additional hard work involved when they become teenagers (when the little blighters just throw out the rule book for a while).

Was speaking to new owners of a lovely terrier pup who'd had dogs before but years ago and there had been a gap in between dogs. They remarked how they'd forgotten how hard it was to rear a pup.

I also think that some people don't quite believe that such cute dogs could be such hooligans/strong-willed little beees(! substitute your onw word beginning with 'b' here LOL), and basically hard work at times. Everyone who meets my dogs will say how well behaved they are but what they don't know/see is how much work went into that and some people are just not out for the long haul but they believe that it must have been easy to do.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Waiting Lists
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2004, 10:28:29 AM »
PennyB     Posted on Sep 21 2004, 10:14 AM
I think some owners really do think they can cope with a pup but in reality they realise how much work is involved and are totally unprepared for the additional hard work involved when they become teenagers (when the little blighters just throw out the rule book for a while).

Im one of those owners. This is my second pup but in the 10 years between them I honestly forgot what hard work they are. Mind after a fortnight memories of saying Id never do it again came flooding back :)

And it was a struggle asking for help - especially from my breeder. Dont get me wrong - shes fantastic - but  when I was going through the vetting procedure I had convinced myself I wouldnt  pass,and that going back and asking for help had me thinking that she would think that she had made a mistake letting me have a pup :( So silly of me I know, but its something I still struggle with.

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2004, 12:02:57 PM »

Every home was vetted and checked, and questions were asked but in a manner that was not seen to challenge the people concerned. One of the first things I was taught was that unless the people who visited to rehome an animal understood why they may not be suitable then they would find an animal somewhere else - and it too would end up under our roof at some point. The adoptive family were as much our responsibilty as the adopted pet.
Isn't this the exact reason vetting should be so thorough? I personally do not use a questionaire, I prefer to talk to people as I like to get a feel for them. It is quite surprising what a telephone chat can reveal ;) I go over quite a lot of information about the breed and the day to day care of a puppy during that initial phone call. I have covered issues that prospective owners have not considered which on occasion has lead to the enquirer deciding a young puppy is not for them, which they have been grateful for. If we decide an older dog may be more suitable I will try and locate one for them.
I am always polite and courteous even if my children are waiting for their dinner or the phone rings at 10.00pm! The same can not always be said about enquirers. I have had rude and aggresive people, even the odd one wanting a birthday present for their 5 year old child that weekend!

I also breed with the intention of keeping a puppy, my hobby is showing. I am confident that the puppies which I do not keep are good examples of the breed with excellent temprements that have been reared lovingly and carefully who will go on to bring their families many years of joy. This makes all the work worthwhile.

I have never had a problem with people objecting to my vetting procedure all are very willing and eager to provide what ever information I need, many have become firm friends and they know I am always there for them if they need me :)

Tracey.
Tracey was my first contact with a breeder and I found her brilliant, she talked with me on the phone for a while, a few times before we arranged to go and meet her babies, we were rudely late on arrival as we got totally lost on the outskirts of Birmingham :o  and I can say all through this she was fantastic :)  She gave us a huge insight into the breed and a lovely cuppa ;)  :lol:  

On our return from Traceys I had a severe allergic reaction to what I thought was down to the dogs, I was totally devastated :(   To cut to the chase I researched into allergies to dogs and found that a bitch could be better for allergy sufferers :unsure:   Tracey only had a boy left, I spoke with her to explain this and again she was fantastic with me, even though I had taken up so much of her time, only to not get one of her babies.  I know you don't need vouching for Tracey, but I won't forget the kindness you showed hubbie and I, even after we got Indie when I was having problems with her not eating, it was Tracey, that helped me out!    

Sorry to go off thread a bit, but felt I wanted to say that :)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Waiting Lists
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2004, 01:03:45 PM »
Distance should be no object when you have decided on your puppy and more importantly found a Breeder that you respect and get along with.  

I have been very lucky as when I collected Douglas he was brought down to where I was and so I didn't have to make a special journey to collect him but if need be I would go as far as Scotland for the right puppy.  Although travelling from Guernsey to Scotland would take us nearly a week hahahahahaha

Over the years I have met up and made friends with quite a few of the Breeders/Exhibitors and can honestly say that the vast majority of them are a very friendly bunch with the welfare of their dogs/puppies coming before anything else.  

Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2004, 03:03:34 PM »
We had a four hour journey home with Bailey, eight hour round trip! :rolleyes:  We had a long chat with our breeder and was asked lots of questions but not directly, they were put to us in conversation and I didn't even realise the questions had been asked till I had put the phone down and recited the conversation back to hubby :lol:

Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2004, 04:47:59 PM »
Although travelling from Guernsey to Scotland would take us nearly a week hahahahahaha.
And a COL member would be there every part of the journey offering you beds to stay in and refreshements to keep you going  ;)  B)  especially on the way back with a puppy in tow :lol: :wub:
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09