Author Topic: Who should a cocker spaniel be breed with?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline The Hallidays

Who should a cocker spaniel be breed with?
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »
Please can someone kindly explain to me,
Should a cocker spaniel be breed only with a cocker spaniel or is it acceptable to breed a cocker spaniel with a working cocker spaniel? is this normal practice?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Who should a cocker spaniel be breed with?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »
Crikes  :shades:  No its not normal practice to breed a working with a show cocker.   It really is not in the best interests of the breed.  :huh:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
My personal belief is that breeders should only breed to enhance and improve the breed - although mixing working and show cockers can produce lovely pets I don't feel that this enhances either the show strain or the working strain as a whole  :-\

A lot of people who breed like this are motivated by money, and also you are far more likely to get 'unusual' colourings (which are 'popular') for the pet market.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
Working Cockers are 'Cocker Spaniels' ... working Cockers and show Cockers are two types or strains of the same breed - they are different in looks and usually in character/traits but they are both classed as Cocker Spaniels.

I don't know of any responsible breeder who would combine the two strains though, there is not really any good reason to do so. The aim of any good breeder of either strain should be to improve the breed and this is not going to be achieved by crossing working and show Cockers, you're not going to produce better show dogs or better working dogs by doing this and there are already too many dogs out there - including Cockers, just look at the rescue board on this forum - so it's hard to justify breeding more purely as pets, particularly when they do not do anything for the breed as a whole. It does happen but generally is done either by people who do not know, or do not care, what they're doing; or by commercial breeders and puppy farmers who are breeding dogs purely for profit and don't care what dogs they use.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
My personal belief is that breeders should only breed to enhance and improve the breed - although mixing working and show cockers can produce lovely pets I don't feel that this enhances either the show strain or the working strain as a whole  :-\

A lot of people who breed like this are motivated by money, and also you are far more likely to get 'unusual' colourings (which are 'popular') for the pet market.

I am in no way experienced in these matters, but I totally agree with Livercake, in that breeders should only breed to enhance and improve the breed. To be honest, I cannot see any point in breeding a show cocker with a working cocker other than to exploit the dogs for money.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Personally i think 'Show Cocker's' should be bred with 'Show Cocker's' and 'Working' with 'Working Cocker's' JMO

Offline JohnW

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
It's very common for people to think the 2 strains are different breeds altogether as they can look very different in stature and capability. The working strain and show strain are gradually drifting apart in genetic terms with many in the working world are now calling for a recognised split of the breed. I have both show and working and I while I wouldn't dream of crossing them over I have also come to the conclusion the breed should stay in tact despite the polarisation of the breeding programs in place at present. The show side is far stricter in the breeding programs on a whole with more health testing in general and even down to not putting a parti colour to a solid etc, the working kennels tend to go for unusual markings as to identify the dogs in the field etc, But my only concern would be that in years to come they do become so different in appearance and genetics that the breed will eventually split because of path we have them on in the name of WHATS BEST FOR THE BREED, after all springers and Fieldies were once part of the breed once.

Unfortunately we do seem to have a very poor C.O.I within many lines and a very much recognised shrinking gene pool mainly through Popular sire syndrome even though very large amounts of pups are born. So maybe eventually to maintain the Cocker breed it may have to be addressed eventually. If there was a split it would not be a positive scenario and I have had quite a few discussion with working breeders about this that if the breed would split and no doubt the working strain would again develop a show side within itself. So maybe at present it's not an issue but maybe in a few years it might well be an issue facing the Cocker spaniel clubs. I am sure the cocker societies will decide with the kennel club what direction to take but maybe not for a few years yet.

Offline The Hallidays

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:00:58 AM »
 :D Thank you to all that replied, I understand fully on what you have said and it does appear that it is best to breed working with working and show cockers with show cockers!

My dear show doggy who is my lovable pet her best mate happens to be a handsome working dog they play well together and really enjoy each others company and are only two days apart in age!

I simply couldn't find the answers I was looking for so thank you to all for you respected advice.

:-*

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
There's a lot to be considered when you decide to breed from your bitch - it certainly isn't for the fainthearted  ;)

There's a lot of threads on the genetics/breeding section on the forum but this is the first one you should read  :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3428.0
helen & jarvis x

Offline JohnW

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »
:D Thank you to all that replied, I understand fully on what you have said and it does appear that it is best to breed working with working and show cockers with show cockers!

My dear show doggy who is my lovable pet her best mate happens to be a handsome working dog they play well together and really enjoy each others company and are only two days apart in age!

I simply couldn't find the answers I was looking for so thank you to all for you respected advice.

:-*

They both sound great, have you got any pictures of them?  When I have my lot out show and working it's a very mad atmosphere but they all get on great. I do always find it amusing however when people say what lovely cockers and springers  :shades: Nope they are all cockers !! and then you get that look "are you sure" from people.  :D  :shades:

Offline NicoleandPoppy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
I had that at Paws in the park everyone was convinced Poppy was a springer!   >:(

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »
I had that at Paws in the park everyone was convinced Poppy was a springer!   >:(

Me too! Everyone thinks Ruby is a springer cos of her black/white colouring - put her next to a springer and they are like chalk and cheese! then they say, ah shes "worker" then?..... i have to say, nope, just puppy farm I'm afraid!!  :005:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby