Author Topic: Girl Or A Boy?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline want1

• Site Member
Girl Or A Boy?
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:33:30 PM »
Ok I dont think (or it will be many years to it) I will breed but just want to know which is best to have, girl or a boy?

The males owner do they get anything for "lending" their dog for mating?
What is it that the girls owner have to pay for breeding?

Sorry if I sound to thick, but just very intersting.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Girl Or A Boy?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:46:13 PM »
The males owner do they get anything for "lending" their dog for mating?

The owner of the stud dog will charge either a stud fee or they can ask for a pup out of the litter.

What is it that the girls owner have to pay for breeding?

What don't they pay for ;)  I've never bred a litter so I'll probably miss some stuff out but off the top of my head you have : health tests for the bitch in question, stud fee,travelling expenses to said stud dog, extra food that the bitch will eat and obv for the pups after they are born, worming tx, flea tx, a whelping box, vet bed, equipment for a whelping kit(thermometer, dopram V drops, scissors, feeding bottle etc etc), any vet treatment for the bitch  and/or pups during and after whelping(and if the bitch needs a C-section, that'll set you back a fair bit), registering the pups with the KC.  

A lot of that stuff have been paid for before you even know if the bitch is in whelp so you could be looking at spending a fair bit of money only to find that there will be no litter. You also have to think about the emotional side of it - possibly having to hand rear pups, the possibility of bitch and/or litter dying during whelp etc.

Have a look at our FAQ's on the subject Here    and Here If you are considering breeding(even if it is years away) get yourself a copy of The book of the Bitch. It's a really good book and is very informative
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Girl Or A Boy?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 10:00:24 PM »

I think you are getting a little bit ahead of yourself here, as you don't even own a Cocker yet. :D

Breeding definitely isn't something to be viewed in monetary terms whereby you turn a profit from either breeding from your bitch or charging a stud fee for the use of your male. As Gill suggest you should have a look at the FAQ on breeding. As nice as most of our dogs are, only a tiny minority would be seen as good breeding stock. It is definitely something that is best left to the experts with a knowledge of pedigrees, health and temperament aspects and success in the show world.

Breeders will get a bad impression if you are even contemplating breeding from a Cocker before you've even got one. I doubt any reputable ones would let you have one of their litter if they suspected this was possibly your intention.  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Girl Or A Boy?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 10:48:57 PM »
I agree with what has already been said, but also remember someone will only want to use your stud dog if it has a proven show record, so as Colin says, you really have to have a dog (first!!) and for it to be successful and be a good example of the breed before you can even think of using it at stud. Alot more could be said on this matter but I'll move on to your next question re a bitch.

Agree with what Gill said here, it is not just the financial implications but emotional ones to. There are no safeguards in breeding and alot of things can go wrong, something you have to seriously consider before entering into it.
I didn't even think about it until my bitch was almost one and only then on the advice of someone with years of experience that she was a good example to breed from.

I myself have just invested alot of money in my first breeding experience which on this occasion hasn't worked out. BUT!!!! it is not about the money, for those that know me it is about the emotional involvement and putting your heart and soul into something, you have to be prepared for the dissappointment and sometimes that dissappointment can be HUGE.

Not something I would recommend to someone who hasn't got a cocker yet, even though your question may be hypothetical  ;)

Offline want1

• Site Member
Girl Or A Boy?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 10:17:19 AM »
I amnot going to breed  :blink:  I am just interested.

Thanks for your information  :lol: