Author Topic: Stud Question  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« on: November 20, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »
Have any of you peeps allowed your dog to be a stud? I'd like Ruffy neutered, but Pete has been mulling about the idea of putting him to stud.

I know he would have health checks before anything else - but I'd like to know does allowing your dog to sire pups change his personality in anyway.

Ruffy has a wonderful nature and I'd hate to alter that.

Thanks for any advice in advance. Janice

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Stud Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 06:32:38 PM »
Janice - unless you are serious about getting into breeding and have shown and proved Ruffy in the ring then I'd forget the idea.

Putting your dog to stud is not a decision to take lightly. The fact that Ruffy has a good temperament is important but not a good enough reason to put him to stud. Unless you know you can ensure a regular set of ladies, then he's likely to become troublesome having tasted something new ;)  :ph34r:

Some dog's become very difficult to live with after having done the deed, they can become more territorial, leave scent markings everywhere - including in the house and be very difficult around other dogs.

Being the stud dog owner gives you the same responsibilities to the puppies as the bitch owner has, including being prepared to take a puppy back if necessary - even into adulthood.

Why are you thinking of getting him neutered? It can change their personality so unless there is a risk of Ruffy getting to a bitch and he has no aggression or behavioural problems, I'd be inclined to leave him alone. Don't stud him, but enjoy him for the happy little chappy he is. :)

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 07:35:49 PM »
I disagree that it can change their personality.  I have three stud dogs all living in the house and there is nver a cross word or any scenting in the house.  They are all biddable.  Obviously when one of them has had a bitch, he has to be bathed or sprayed so as to take any scents away that the others would smell.

Its isnt easy to have you dog used at stud, it does help when they are shown and being seen and then someone may approach you depending on health, pedigree etc.

Good luck.......... :)

Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Stud Question
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 08:19:40 PM »
This thread has interested me from a purely academic perspective...I have never even thought of putting Molo to stud!

I had been told that once a dog is used to stud, or even suceeds in an accidental mating, they usually become more determined in their efforts to gain access to a bitch in heat.

It was described to me as dogs not knowing waht they were missing until after the first time?

I appreciate that as with anything, all dogs will be different, but I would be interested in whether this is the experience of COL owners.

BTW - at present, I am not thinkng of neutering Molo, either  ;)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:40:26 PM »
Rachel, that was the point I had in mind. If he stays as he is and is never mated, he's never going to know any different, but if he was mated would he then make it his lifes work to mate again? I don't know.

Ruffy has an excellent pedigree and is a very intelligent, and loving wee chappie. Our breeder is willing to guide us through the process if we do wish to go that way. For lots of reasons I'm not convinced. Mainly my lack of knowledge on breeding, and the weight of responsability of bringing puppies into this world.

I was thinking more along the lines of neutering him after what happened to our other wee dog, I still get upset remembering how distressed he became.

Ruffy is only just 6 months now, so I guess well see how he goes over the coming few months.

He is such a delightful wee man, I'd hate for him to change in anyway.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stud Question
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 11:15:04 PM »
Some dogs do change in personality after being used at stud, not all obviously but some definitely do so you have to decide whether you want to take that risk assuming you have a good enough reason for offering your dog at stud & assuming a reputable breeder would be interested in using an unproven pet dog. You might find our FAQ section on offering a pet dog at stud useful in making your mind up. All our pet male puppies are endorsed not for breeding & I do not encourage their use at stud unless they have proven themselves in the show ring  & passed all the health-screening tests etc but of course not all breeders share this view ;) I think Rufus is a Working Cocker so I would think that reputable Working Cocker breeders would be looking for a stud dog who has proven ability as a gundog, much as show breeders look for a stud dog who has been consistent in the show ring.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stud Question
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 11:40:25 PM »
The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't consider a dog if it wasn't proven or had some success in the show ring, after all if you breed you are trying to improve your line. For a working cocker I agree with Jane. I have seen websites for working cockers and all the dogs offered at stud are used as workers and all have some success.
I have met both of JaneES's boys together and seperate and they have never had a cross word, but obviously this can depend dog to dog and it would be wrong to think that a dog or bitch has to bred before neutering, why?
Is this a "guy" thing thinking that he must sew his oats before the chop  :unsure:  

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Stud Question
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 04:47:20 PM »
I only have one question . . . Why does Pete want to use Ruffy at stud ???
You say he has an excellent pedigree, but what constitutes an excellent pedigree ?
You really need to have known dogs from several generations and likewise with any visiting bitch  :)

I mean no offence or disrespect, but it is really so important.  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 05:38:42 PM »
There are numerous FTCh and FTW in both Ruffys and Vahris lines (5 generation pedigrees), I'm not ruling out handling Ruffy either, just that I will need guidance from an experienced handler.

Vahri is just too highly strung to handle in the field and I certainly wouldn't force her.

Ruffy and I are now involved in dog training classes where he is displaying a fair degree of potential.

Having him in the gene pool is an advantage to the working cocker franternity, just by being here, in my humble opinion.

My main concern is that if, and it's a big IF, I do decide to put Ruffy to stud I would lose my pet.

Naturally, I would want to research any bitch that requested, his services ( :rolleyes: ), and I would only proceed if I was absolutely positive it was for the advantage of the breed, not for a fast buck!!

Ruffy is now 6 months old, so to stud him would be at least another year away, as I would want health checks carried out too.

I guess for Pete it may be a male thing  :blink: -  you know where I'm coming from, but I'm a wee bit more rational than that I think (hope)  :unsure:

I guess there's a bit of the proud mum in me too - in that no girl will ever be good enough for my boy!!  :P  :rolleyes:  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stud Question
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 06:15:32 PM »
I can't understand your reasoning and I'm not trying to be rude, but in your original post you said you wanted him neutered  :blink: so is it only on your husbands advice that you would use him at stud.
I am not saying that Ruffy isn't a good example of a working cocker, but I think that most people with working dogs are trying to improve their stock and are really looking for something exceptional when chosing the right dog. I know loads of dogs with SH CH in their pedigree but it isn't a licence to breed.
That might sound like I am saying all pets are not good examples, what I am trying to say is that if you want to contribute something to the gene pool it has to be something worthwhile.  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Stud Question
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »
I imagine as well as possible changes to personality of the dog, there are also practical considerations; if the bitch usually travels to the dog, then presumably, there has to be a suitable 'mating area' or similar? I can't imagine neighbours would be too happy about viewing over the garden fence? Can an experienced breeder help me out here  :unsure: ; what may be glaringly obvious if you are *in the know* is a complete mystery to me?

If Vahri is highly strung, how would she respond to visiting bitches?

As your OH seems keen on the idea; is he as keen on (for instance) another pup in your home from each litter Ruffy sires? As has already been said; both the bitch and the dog owner should be prepared to take in pups from the litter if necessary; this may be enough to convince him that he is not yet ready for this responsibility.

If you do decide to take it further after more research and consideration, then good luck to you and Ruffy; both in Field trials and with any future litters!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 07:09:22 PM »
My original question was "if I used him to stud would change his personality?"

Pete isn't saying we WILL put him to stud, that is a decision still to be made.

Personally - left to me I would have him neutered probably around 8months(ish), as I said mainly because of the way one of my previous dogs died.

I just couldn't let happen again.

Pete has suggested giving THOUGHT to putting him to stud - he most definitly DOES NOT want him neutered - so as you can see we are from very different camps!!  :rolleyes:

I don't just want to breed him for the sake of getting puppies out of him - far from it. I could easily have done that with Vahri - but as I said, and wonderful as she is, she doesn't have the ideal temperment for a working cocker.

I do feel that Ruffy has lots of potential, both in appearance and ability, but the casting vote there I suppose would be hard evidence and only time there will tell.

The other alternative is to leave him entire, and unmated :blink:  - which attracts a hole different view point again.

Dugs eh - who'd 'ave 'em?  :D  

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 07:24:17 PM »
IWLass - fortunately our breeder would be happy to help as much as possible, and one of my close friends has a small holding with kennels. She is actually also the local dog warden, who has bred dogs in the past.

So, I am fortunate in that I would have support and a source of info if I wanted to pursue the matter.

The other thing is - I would worry about the future of any puppies too. Not for me the fast buck, and I'm talking long term here.

Pete would be only too happy to have a few more Spaniels running around his feet - a 3hr walk with 2 Spaniels is much the same as a 3hr walk with 4 of them  :lol: .

Come to think about it - he may well rehome me and keep any pups to himself!  <_<  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Stud Question
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 09:02:41 PM »
Miss Poohs     Posted on Nov 20 2004, 10:40 PM
Rachel, that was the point I had in mind. If he stays as he is and is never mated, he's never going to know any different, but if he was mated would he then make it his lifes work to mate again? I don't know.

I can onlyspeak from my experience with Gunnar who was an entire male. At the age of 6/7 he managed to get to a bitch in season and from then on, if ever a bitch in season even walked down the road, we knew about it :(

If there were any bitches in season in the area, he spent his time on the door mat crying to get out. Once out and off the lead he was gone. Nothing would get him back untill he was good and ready - usually after he had followed every trail till they went cold. He became rampant, humping everything in sight and this would last for up to three weeks at a time.He  also seemed to take to teenage girls at their time of month :( To be honest it was a nightmare and I really did want to take him in to have him done, only the hubby wouldnt allow it (he paid the bills).

Atm Alfie is entire and hopefully he will stay that way. But if he manages to to get to a bitch in season I will be straight down the vets to get him done.

Anyway that was just MY experience and others may differ
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stud Question
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 09:07:57 PM »
Thanks Caroline - to be honest that's what I fear - one bitch in heat, one mating and he may well be off on the trail each time he gets the scent.

It's a toughie isn't it.