Author Topic: whelping boxes????  (Read 9726 times)

Offline ebony girl

whelping boxes????
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
have been looking at whelping boxes, any ideas what size is needed for a cocker spaniel, and any recommendations on suppliers?????
thanks x

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
Re: whelping boxes????
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
.....I have a linkabord whelping box (see link)

http://www.linkabord.co.uk/shop/products.asp?cid=3

I really like this as its so easy to clean, its not too expensive and you can alter the height if necessary. I had the one thats about a metre square. My bitch had plenty of room to lie down in it. Measure it out on your floor at home so you can see the size and then you'll know what size to go for.

Hope that helps!  ;)
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
I have a Snowsilk and a Link-a-bord........sorry to say I hate the LAB one, it's too heavy, bulky to store - too many bits and pieces, the Snowsilk (I know expensive)  comes in flat panels which are easy to store, it's light and very easy to put together.

But I guess we're all different and like different ones for different reasons  ;)

My LAB was used for 3 days then thrown in the shed where I guess it still is, unless OH has thrown it out.  :005:

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Ooooh Sharon, I'm very jealous. A Snowsilk one is on my wish list! I would love one but the budget doesn't run to one at the moment. I have to manage with my wooden one that the OH built! I tried one of those cardboard ones once and they sound like a really good idea, until you try to clean them and realise you can't!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
There are some going on the preloved site.....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
Another Snowsilk fan here - our box is nearly 20 years old and still going strong so it has paid for itself many times over now.
Jane

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
Another Snowsilk fan here - our box is nearly 20 years old and still going strong so it has paid for itself many times over now.

Mine is coming up 10 years and is in good condition too!

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
oooo im liking the snowsilk ones :luv:.......what size ones have you got????

thanks for your replies,

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
oooo im liking the snowsilk ones :luv:.......what size ones have you got????

30" x 30" x 20". We also have the extension pen which fits onto the box for when pups are old enough to move about (they move into a much bigger pen when they outgrow this)
Jane

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »
I  bought a disposable one for my Bichon puppies, what a waste of time. Absolutly impossible to clean. I then bought a plastic one with playpen attached from
www.steelcitywhelpingboxes.co.uk. Brilliant, easy to assemble, easy to clean. The only problem was that I got one 12" high and the puppies were able to get out from about 6 weeks. :005: I am going to get an 18" high one later in the year when Pheobe (cocker)has her pups.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
I  bought a disposable one for my Bichon puppies, what a waste of time. Absolutly impossible to clean. I then bought a plastic one with playpen attached from
www.steelcitywhelpingboxes.co.uk. Brilliant, easy to assemble, easy to clean. The only problem was that I got one 12" high and the puppies were able to get out from about 6 weeks. :005: I am going to get an 18" high one later in the year when Pheobe (cocker)has her pups.

thanks, i know now i need an 18" height for those sneaky little cocker pups  ;)

Offline louisedi

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »
Ours is a UPVC made by a company called Steelcity, they advertise on ebay, half the price of snowsilk and just as good, depends on how many litters you are plaining, have had one cardboard one it latested 3days, bitch dug her way through bottom. 30" 30" plenty big enough for a cocker,
A hand made MDF, lined with vinly tiles does the job, we used one for 3 litters succesfully, good luck

Offline SueC

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:46 AM »
I have a Link a Bord whelping box which I find absolutely brilliant - it's been used several times & it's like new, very warm & easy to clean

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
Ive been looking at the cardboard ones.... It will only be used the once!...lined with lots of newspaper & non slip vetbed, will probably use some old sheets aswell for welping (got a year to plan so the above may change)  :D

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
from my experience I would use the money towards a better one than getting a cardboard one. Mine was only used once as we had the unusual position of having two litters at a time, a litter of five and a litter of two. I put the litter of two in the cardboard one and you would be amazed how much mess they can make, even lining it thoroughly!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).