Author Topic: Colour related to temperament?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Colour related to temperament?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
I really believe that temperament is not colour affected at all. The same as children, you get out what you put in :blink:

Exactly

Agreed,though genetics play a big part too. ;)

Aye im sure they play a huge part but still.... take a lovely genetically created temperament and treat it in an inappropriate way and you can still ruin what nature started to create........just my opinion.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Well bred, health tested parents are the answer.......by the way I don't know any bad tempered cockers and as far as solids are concerned, they are the best natured dogs and I have partis.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
There is a VERY rare condition known as rage which historically was believed to be more prevalent in solid coloured dogs. Sadly, lots of people that don't know much about cockers have picked up on this and so the prevalent but inaccurate belief that solid coloured cockers may have aggressive personalities has circulated. Rage is so very rare, and appears to be more of a mental health disorder than a personality thing - the dogs who suffer from it often have lovely personalities other then the attacks of "rage". Finding a good breeder will help to ensure that your puppy has the best start, and because rage is so rare there really is no reason to discriminate between colours.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »
There is a VERY rare condition known as rage which historically was believed to be more prevalent in solid coloured dogs. Sadly, lots of people that don't know much about cockers have picked up on this and so the prevalent but inaccurate belief that solid coloured cockers may have aggressive personalities has circulated. Rage is so very rare, and appears to be more of a mental health disorder than a personality thing - the dogs who suffer from it often have lovely personalities other then the attacks of "rage". Finding a good breeder will help to ensure that your puppy has the best start, and because rage is so rare there really is no reason to discriminate between colours.

and cockers aren't the only breed to 'suffer' from 'rage syndrome' - springers, golden retrievers, papillions have also been reported cases.
It is likened to a type of fit or seizure, since the dog in question has no 'recollection' of the event, somewhat like an epileptic fit.  In which case good breeding techniques and practices help keep such genetic mishaps from hopefully occurring.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline praia

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
I really believe that temperament is not colour affected at all. The same as children, you get out what you put in :blink:

Exactly

Agreed,though genetics play a big part too. ;)

Aye im sure they play a huge part but still.... take a lovely genetically created temperament and treat it in an inappropriate way and you can still ruin what nature started to create........just my opinion.

Not to get into a debate, but... although both genetics and environment determine the temperament of the dog, genetics is the stronger influence of the two.  A genetically fearful dog will always be a fearful dog, though training and socialization will help manage to a certain degree.  A dog with a genetically stable temperament will prevail over practically any harsh treatment and will eventually recover from it with their temperament intact.  Take for instance, Michael Vick's APBTs that suffered the worst of atrocities yet have been adopted out and have prospered in responsible pet homes.  It is very difficult to ruin a dog with a rock solid temperament.

Back to the originally question, if there is more cases of solid Cockers being more aggressive, the trait is probably linked more to the lines that produce these dogs than to their actual color.  When kennels are more focused on producing a particular popular color (lets just say red as an example) vs producing a healthy dog with a solid temperament then you're going to see more red dogs with bad temperaments flooding the market than you would another color. 

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
Whilst I appreciate all your knowledge and experience, I did actually agree genetics play a huge part, not a small part and I didn't say that environmental influences ruining a temperament couldn't be recovered with patience. I was merely trying to point out that colour is no guarantee of whether you get a well balanced dog and other things also play a part. I may not be an expert in anything but I know my dogs enough to know that what I have ploughed in has been given back to me in spades.

Sorry to the OP for this topic taking a detour :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Whilst I appreciate all your knowledge and experience, I did actually agree genetics play a huge part, not a small part and I didn't say that environmental influences ruining a temperament couldn't be recovered with patience. I was merely trying to point out that colour is no guarantee of whether you get a well balanced dog and other things also play a part. I may not be an expert in anything but I know my dogs enough to know that what I have ploughed in has been given back to me in spades.

Sorry to the OP for this topic taking a detour :-\

i,  for one understand exactly what you are saying.....i would just like to add that what would also worry me is someone buying a certain colour believing that the temperament must be ok whilst discounting another colour because they believe that colour to have temperament problems. For me, its important that all dogs in the lineage would be of sound temperament and health tested.

For example.....a friend of a friend, decided not to buy a pup from me as it was "red" and someone had told her that the reds were the worst for ""rage""...my dogs are bred for health (all tested) and temperament, this person went on to buy an UNhealth tested blue roan, who admittedly is lovely, but she has no idea about the sire used, other than a name, i just hope she doesnt live to regret it and that he has PRA or FN, or indeed was not bred for temperament!!!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

and cockers aren't the only breed to 'suffer' from 'rage syndrome' - springers, golden retrievers, papillions have also been reported cases.
It is likened to a type of fit or seizure, since the dog in question has no 'recollection' of the event, somewhat like an epileptic fit.  In which case good breeding techniques and practices help keep such genetic mishaps from hopefully occurring.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but what you say in your comment above about other breeds struck a cord - our last dog, Cassie, a golden retriever suffered from epilepsy (sadly, she is now at the bridge)  Her seizures were classic, normal seizures, but last year she had a strange one - she showed all her usual signs of an on coming seizure, but then just got aggressive, backing away from me,  barking, growling and baring her teeth at me.  We were out in the garden at the time, and when she started lunging at me,  I made a hasty retreat into the kitchen and watched from the window.  After a few minutes, in which she continued to bark and growl, she stopped and then went into her normal post-seizure actions.  I wonder if that was similar to 'rage', although she only ever had one like that.

Offline beanbag

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
Ive read a similar thing about solids - i was surprised that colour would do that.....
The only other colour related to temperament ive heard about is different personalities, someone told me that orange roans were a little crazier and more independant and blue roans seemed to be more people orientated. I dont know how true this is or if its something to do with that persons dogs but its interesting to hear about.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
Ive read a similar thing about solids - i was surprised that colour would do that.....
The only other colour related to temperament ive heard about is different personalities, someone told me that orange roans were a little crazier and more independant and blue roans seemed to be more people orientated. I dont know how true this is or if its something to do with that persons dogs but its interesting to hear about.

I have blue and orange roans and the orange is the most laid back dog I have ever know, defo not crazy.

Offline Chezer

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
I thought golden cockers who had a little white on them was still classed as a solid? or am I wrong???
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

Totally agree.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
I thought golden cockers who had a little white on them was still classed as a solid? or am I wrong???

White is allowed on the chest, (cocker breed standard) and they are still classed as solids. Same with blacks.