Author Topic: Two 5 week old cocker pups put to sleep this morning  (Read 5601 times)

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
Two 5 week old cocker pups put to sleep this morning
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
I have just seen that two five week old cocker boys were put to sleep by their breeder this morning, because they are deaf  >:D the others are being BEAR tested today, so am hoping that the other survive when the results are back.

The breeder has been breeding for 20 years and never had a deaf pup in the litter. She will be using the same bitch but using a different stud dog next time.

What do people think about this? Is it acceptable for a breeder to put to sleep healthy pups? Oh, she was offered rescue placement which didn't take it up.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: Two 5 week old cocker pups put to sleep this morning
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
Some things don't show up till late on, we found this out the hard way when we lost two pups at 4 weeks, it was hardest thing we have had to do so I wouldn't pass judgement till I knew why they did it  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
I completely understand what you mean and in certain circumstances I can see why the option would be chose. But these pups were just deaf, not other illnesses or conditions.

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
Well I certainly wouldn't put otherwise healthy pups down - especially if they were offered rescue support - how sad. 

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
How very sad, what would she do if she delivered a baby with a problem :huh: I would take in a deaf pup and I'm sure other people would.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
If there was nothing else wrong other than deafness then I think that is very wrong and sad...why did the vet agree to do this??

I have owned boxers and some whites are prone to deafness and it used to be that breeders pts the pups at birth (if they were white) but now the majority dont and they live perfectly happy healthy lives...

:'( Run free at the bridge little pups...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »
i was once told that a breeder had put to sleep deaf puppies because she had been breeding for a long time and didnt want dogs out there with her name attached to them, as it may harm her breeding business in the future  >:D

i am not against any animal being PTS if it has an illness which will cause it pain and suffering but to PTS because they are deaf seem cruel to me, and has left me in tears :'(

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
i was once told that a breeder had put to sleep deaf puppies because she had been breeding for a long time and didnt want dogs out there with her name attached to them, as it may harm her breeding business in the future  >:D

i am not against any animal being PTS if it has an illness which will cause it pain and suffering but to PTS because they are deaf seem cruel to me, and has left me in tears :'(

Without knowing the details of the pups in the OP I don't feel qualified to comment.  However, if a breeder has a pup or pups that, for whatever reason, that breeder doesn't want their name attached to, isn't it possible to let the pups go to good homes without registering them with the breeders name?

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »

Without knowing the details of the pups in the OP I don't feel qualified to comment.  However, if a breeder has a pup or pups that, for whatever reason, that breeder doesn't want their name attached to, isn't it possible to let the pups go to good homes without registering them with the breeders name?

They can be sold without KC registration......... "no papers"
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

Thanks Lynne. I was going to say 'phew' for all those puppies who have that potential route to happiness in those circumstances. But then thought of possible drawbacks that could arise from breeder non-registration such as too many/frequent litters from a bitch by an unscrupulous breeder and therefore one whole litter sold without KC registration etc.

Apologies to OP, I didn't want to hijack your post.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
i was once told that a breeder had put to sleep deaf puppies because she had been breeding for a long time and didnt want dogs out there with her name attached to them, as it may harm her breeding business in the future  >:D

Thanks Lynne. I was going to say 'phew' for all those puppies who have that potential route to happiness in those circumstances. But then thought of possible drawbacks that could arise from breeder non-registration such as too many/frequent litters from a bitch by an unscrupulous breeder and therefore one whole litter sold without KC registration etc.

Apologies to OP, I didn't want to hijack your post.

i too thought about them being sold un-registered, but as i said it was just something i heard and therefore dont have the full details.....my only thoughts are that this was a well known breeder who although the pups wouldnt be registered perhaps people would still associate them with her kennel!!!....

whatever way you look at it, these pups should never have been PTS and the bitch should never be used again.

sorry too for hijacking the OP

Offline Joyce

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »
This is absolutely disgusting having pups PTS because they are deaf, so the breeder keeps her good name, she should now be named and shamed for what she has done, I show and breed and I don't care who she is, I hope it's not somebody I know and I am in the show ring with or even been judge. 

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »
i totally agree but as i have heard this second hand, it would not be fair to name and shame incase i dont have all the correct details,....but i really hope karma comes back and bites them on the a**e really hard!!

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
This is absolutely disgusting having pups PTS because they are deaf, so the breeder keeps her good name, she should now be named and shamed for what she has done, I show and breed and I don't care who she is, I hope it's not somebody I know and I am in the show ring with or even been judge. 

Personally I don't think a forum is the place to name and shame. We are not judge and jury and besides, to make any judgement you need to sure of your facts, beyond doubt. 

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
I have just seen that two five week old cocker boys were put to sleep by their breeder this morning, because they are deaf  >:D the others are being BEAR tested today, so am hoping that the other survive when the results are back.

The breeder has been breeding for 20 years and never had a deaf pup in the litter. She will be using the same bitch but using a different stud dog next time.

What do people think about this? Is it acceptable for a breeder to put to sleep healthy pups? Oh, she was offered rescue placement which didn't take it up.

Was this an article or a news story you have ' seen ' ?

I Find it very upsetting but unfortunately not surprising  >:(
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown