Author Topic: Considering breeding - Tests!  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Considering breeding - Tests!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
A good working cocker breeder really has no need to advertise - the litters are reserved before birth.  Of course a lot of 'pet' breeders do advertise on line so this is probably what you're basing your research on since that's what you're aiming to be - not many of them are good, most are BYB's and/or one litter breeders.

I am actually amazed at your attitude on this thread - it seems that you want this 'experience' no matter what toll it takes on your dog  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
I'm sorry but reading this thread and the input which I mostly agree with the OP lives in cloud cuckoo land with his/her own set views which no amount of reasoning will sway. I have given my personal experience which has been totally ignored or poo pood as irrelevant so no more posts from me
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Pip895

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »
I am actually amazed at your attitude on this thread - it seems that you want this 'experience' no matter what toll it takes on your dog  :-\

Where on earth did you get that Idea - I know we have different views on the suitability of working cockers as pets, but there is no need to get personal - Strangely enough people who love there dogs may still want to breed from them.  >:D

I started this thread because if I decide to have a litter I intend to do it right.  

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »
I know why you want a litter, for experience. I once did too. When Ebby was young I decided I definitely wanted to breed from her once, not to make money and I certainly had the time (weeks and weeks 24 hours a day) to devote to it. I even went as far as booking her in for the eye tests etc. Then I researched until there was possibly no more research to do and I decided I could not go through with it. What I wanted was my Ebony to live on in another pup, and another so I never lost her. To me she is the most beautiful special soul dog I could ever wish for, but she does have a few issues, and if I'm being honest it wouldn't of been fair to her, potential pups or potential owners. (her issues are not her fault but I'm guessing she does have a natural nervous tendancy). I didnt want her put out for the X-rays and wasn't prepared not to do them. What if something went wrong and I lost her or a pup? To me I felt like it would be my fault and I just couldn't bare the thought of it. Then would I want to let the pups go? Could I find really special homes for them and take them back at any time in their life? I also saw the huge amount of ex breeding bitches up for rehoming and felt dreadful.
As much as I may now miss out on a wonderful experience, I haven't risked Ebony over it. Also I know I am not adding to the potential numbers of dogs without loving homes. I have realised there will never be another Ebony, she is one in a million and I will enjoy her for what she is. I will leave the breeding up to the professionals, and if I can possibly in the future will recuse instead of breed. Please listen to some of the advice, I'd hate you to make the wrong decision.  :D
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
Where on earth did you get that Idea - I know we have different views on the suitability of working cockers as pets, but there is no need to get personal ...

I don't know if you're aware but you have come across as quite dismissive of other members' views in some of your replies so it's perhaps not surprising that feelings are running a little high on this thread ;) In view of this, I will close it now as you've received lots of good advice and there doesn't seem a lot more to add. It's of course entirely up to you what you choose to do with the advice.

Jane