Author Topic: Bertie needs some COL TLC  (Read 2740 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Bertie needs some COL TLC
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
My work pal's cocker spangle Bertie has a suspected bowel tumour. He is 9 years old and was a rescue.  He has been unwell for sometime, good days and bad days. the vet first suspected he had eaten something nasty but now has come to the tumour conclusion. the vet is reluctant to do any invasive surgery so he is only assuming but has suggested PTS. my pal today at work has been in tears ( we both have) as Bertie is still happy, eating and waggy tailed most of the time. all afternoon we has discussed the unmentionable. while he is like this she is reluctant to do the deed. he is now allowed what ever food he wants ( sausages) but wonders if there is anything she can do to ease his end of days.

please spare a thought for Bertie and for 2 kiddees who do not understand why they can not rough and tumble with their bestest mate
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Bertie needs some COL TLC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
It's a bit of a leap of diagnosis based on some observed symptoms  :dunno: have they x-rayed Bertie?  I ask as Pearls latest vet trip could easily have been the symptoms of a tumour in the bowel but there were no masses evident on the X-ray.

Hope Bertie has many more norty cocker days x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
i asked about if he had xrayed but she said the vet ruled it out because it would not show up anything. the vet is a well liked and very popular ( i do not use him although he is near to where I live) and has treated Bertie since the beginning.
 Bertie's main symptoms are bleeding from his bottom as well as when he poops and I believe he is swollen in the area. I am not sure if the vet has felt a growth or not. 
I shall see her tomorrow, might be able to get more info ( the boss is not in work)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
For me, I would like more tests first. Having lost my own Bertie to cancer I understand her pain. Please pass on my good wishes and understanding. It is such a tough time. X

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
Min this is horrible for your friend and her family, I have never heard of a vet suggesting this when a dog still has a quality of life, if he was of his food, and in discomfort or not standing etc then yes but it is a heck on a thing to suggest.

I assume he can feel a mass and his tummy is distended. As for the passing of blood, maybe he is preparing her for the worst!  Does Bertie get distressed and pant when he poops, if this is the case and distressing and he is in pain, I think I would ask a lot of questions before I make a decision

But regardless of that I send caring thoughts to your friend and her Bertie, and that every day he is with her he is special and loved and may there be many good days
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
  • R.I.P Sweep 21.2.2004-7.12.2013
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
I agree.Would have expected an x ray or scan.Hope Bertie can have many more days with his family.It must be awful to have to explain to children about a sick pet.Sending best wishes.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
Sorry to read this news, always worse when children are involved I feel

Plenty of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and positive cyber vibes for your friend and her family
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Flames129

• My life isn't complete without a dog at my feet.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Sending as much love and well wishes as me a milo can.

I hope for a speedy recovery.

:luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv:

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Please send all our very best wishes and support. We lost our last boy to cancer at nine and this resonates with me. In those last weeks we just did whatever he wanted at the pace he chose and were guided by him. It was really tough and I'm crying as I write remembering. For us it was about quality of life and dignity at the end. I hope that your friend and her family and you can find your way through this difficult time. 

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Jakes mum

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
I agree with all above if he still happy and has quality of life maybe he still has time  :bigarmhug:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »
Sending lots of love and best wishes for Bertie and his family  :luv: :luv:

Awful situation. I think I'd have to get a second opinion before any decisions. I also would take each day at a time and as long as Bertie is tail wagging, eating and walking then I would let him enjoy his remaining days doing whatever he wants. I certainly wouldn't pts until he showed signs of being uncomfortable xxx

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
Sending much love  :luv: and healing thoughts from us too x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
Lots of positive and healing  thoughts being sent your way for Bertie xxx

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »
oh your friend must be so upset
by all this...we send her and \Bertie :luv:
all our best wishes :bigarmhug:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Sending lots of love and best wishes for Bertie and his family  :luv: :luv:

Awful situation. I think I'd have to get a second opinion before any decisions. I also would take each day at a time and as long as Bertie is tail wagging, eating and walking then I would let him enjoy his remaining days doing whatever he wants. I certainly wouldn't pts until he showed signs of being uncomfortable xxx
Totall agree with this. in the meantime sending over lots of healing and positive thoughts to Bertie  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum