Author Topic: To vaccinate or no?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Re: To vaccinate or no?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »
Way to go Sodpot (love the name lol). 

Can I also throw in the pot that I don't use worming tablets but screen Tobes for worms using Wormcount Laboratories.  Don't use pesticides for flea prevention either.  I use Billy No Mates for that.
How often do you use wormcount and if they do have worms what do you use then??? what do you do about the lungworm. Just wondering as lungworm really worries me (although Tilly doesn't eat or play with slugs or snails).

If the results are negative, then repeat the test every three months.  If the result is positive, Wormcount can advise on treatment.  Wormcount are doing an offer at the moment - as well as the test for roundworms etc, they will also test for lungworm and heartworm and all for £15 plus 93p to return the samples to them.

http://www.wormcount.com/order-now/
Thank you, I have just taken a look at their website. It's scary as you want to do the best for your dog like I have done for my children.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
No, titre tests can only be done for the three core diseases - parvo, distemper and hepatitis.

Lepto is the one that scares me because the vaccination itself can cause serious illness and protection only lasts for about nine months and doesn't cover all the strains of the disease.

I've spoken to all the vets in our town and they all said not a single case of Lepto in years.  I do worry about it though and not sure of the best way forward on this one.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »
We use Wormcount every six months to check on the effectiveness of our worming procedure. Both Milly and Chaz are treated monthly with Advocate and every six months with Milbemax.
Wormcount picked up on a Fox lungworm infestation with Chaz that was eradicated by the next monthly dose of Advocate but, apart from that, both have been completely worm free.
With worms, I'm of the opinion that prevention is better than cure especially with French lungworm.

Incidentally Wormcount are having to increase their prices from the beginning of September. The combined worm and lungworm test will then cost £21. Still well worth it as far as we're concerned.

Bob.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
tesco and pets at home do not require you to have the boosters, but it is at your own risk, they will not cover the illnesses that the boosters prevent if your dog gets them
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 11:25:39 PM »
[quote author=Neon link=topic=112393.msg1633786#msg1633786 date=

I've spoken to all the vets in our town and they all said not a single case of Lepto in years.  I do worry about it though and not sure of the best way forward on this one.
[/quote]
Maybe they have seen a case because people have all vaccinated against it?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »
[quote author=Neon link=topic=112393.msg1633786#msg1633786 date=

Maybe they have seen a case because people have all vaccinated against it?
[/quote]

Yes, my conclusion too and why I am inbetween a rock and a hard place regarding Lepto.

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Always in a quandry here regarding Lepto.  We live in an area, where especially during the wet season pathways and roads are often flooded complete with floating rats  ph34r so I have been doing the Lepto shot, but I really do not like to do so, as it is one of the worst for reactions, but as Phoenix says the disease is terrible....what can you do? even though we do get the shot, we had the one with only three serovars (there are many types of Lepto) vet said this was a good compromise.

Thanks for update on Wormcount - we haven't used them yet but will be doing so.

Interestingly, all the companies which offer companion animal insurance here, require the vet NOT to booster more than every three years (core diseases) and to follow the WSAVA guidelines (World Small Animal Veterinary Association) which in the long run should be good news.  I've yet to meet someone who does have pet insurance as the premiums are ridiculously high and the payout restricted to around 1000 euro per annum - don't think so... :-\  vets fees are however considerably lower than in UK.

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »
Way to go Sodpot (love the name lol).

My old black cocker Sophie earned herself this nickname as a pup when she would steal anything she could find and was often to be found in a morning being hotly pusued by female members of the household in dressing gowns as she proudly carried off various items of 'intimate apparel'.

Returning to topic however, thanks all for the info about lepto. I will bear this in mind. As we have chickens and live in a rural area rats are never far away.

Also grateful for the info on wormcount. Buster has a fascination with snails and so I think I will get tests done there.

A really useful thread.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
"Like" button pressed 👍