Author Topic: Could do with some advice please.  (Read 1870 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Could do with some advice please.
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
My likkle darling Hamish is just 5 months old.  He seems to have gone into the teenage phase already. 
Previous good responses to sit are ignore unless he is tempted by a treat.  He will plank his bottom on a walk and refused point blank to move , I have tried changing directions and also tried training to get him to walk to heel to get him moving again which it does for a small distance then bottom planked again. 
We went to out first training class last week and he barked for the full hour except when we were actually training.  He does not bark a lot at home. 
Have I started training classes too early, Am I expecting too much at such a tender age.  I ended up cutting our walk short tonight because he refused to walk and but walked fine homeward bound.

Cathy 

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Toofast

Re: Could do with some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Personally I would not put up with any of this nonsence, our little cockers are tough little B#*g#-s, give him a dam good tug, he will have to walk in the end or end up with a sore bum ! He is testing you to see just exactly what he can get out of this situation. Don't tolerate this behaviour and be firm with him.
Sometimes we have to go right back to very basic training, I never give treats for rewards just a genlte touch and a soft word.

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:36:13 PM »
Humbug can still nearly aged 5 try to sit on a walk and not budge. He may want to choose the route of his choice or he wants to go home to check his garden hasn't been invaded by aliens or to sleep. My choice is to say no this is the way we are going. Or I let him choose a route. But we walk. We try to change it so he isn't bored.
Don't give in - unless he might be tired. He could be telling you that. Or Hamish may be testing you. Good luck.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »
We (Barney and me ) witness this most mornings as our early walks are accompanied by Bob and Eddie (now 7 months). Eddie is currently perfecting the 'I am exhausted' act by prostrating himself having progressed from sitting down and refusing to budge unless it's in the homeward direction!! >:D

We have a performance marking system for his 'act' and he is currently managing a score of 6/10! :005:

Perseverance overcomes junior antics and walking with another dog if you can (as in our case) may help?

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
OMG thanks you guys make me feel so much better I am sitting here beating myself up thinking it is me that is doing something wrong.  I am having a rough time with my neighbour who waits for me to go out then follows me so I have to change my route and the times I go out every day and I think he is testing me a kind of dumb insolence and he thinks he is in control.  Today was a rough day and I know some of my tension is going down the lead but I try so hard to relax when we are out.  Because of having to change routes and times I dont always meet up with the dog walkers who have dogs that would be good for him and help.  Going to try some where different tomorrow morning kind of fresh start new place to break the cycle from today to see what happens. 

Thanks all for your help
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »
Blimey are you living next to a psycho?

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
Hi PatP in a word YES of the worst kind she is 61 years old and a total nightmare.  I just retired and am 63 so she wants to be my best friend and I cannot stand the sight of her so we are now having to get the Anti Social behaviour team in.  Worst is she is unemployed so has all day to plan her attack and watch our movements. 

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline esme1717

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Hi,
We also have the same problem with Ziggy who is 4 months old.  He refuses to budge and then when homeward he pulls to get home.  We have varied the walks and taken him to different parks and that seems to have helped.  It also helps if someone else walks with us slightly ahead, so very often one of my daughter walks ahead and then he is happy to follow.  It is nice to hear that others have the same issues  :D
Helen

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I have the landscape men in today working in garden so had to take him across the street to toilet and he was a wee gem.  Long may it last but wont hold ma breath. 

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:35:26 PM »
as for your neighbour, sneak out after dark and superglue her locks  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----