Author Topic: Help re biting daughter again!!! Update - threads merged  (Read 1044 times)

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
Help re biting daughter again!!! Update - threads merged
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »
I love Archie and we have had a few issues with growling guarding and so on and have managed to get over the guarding and the growling is less, but he has bitten hubby twice I felt that was my hubbys fault trying to chase him and grab something out of his mouth hasn't happened since as my husband has been gentler and calmer using distraction, he bit my mother in law while I was cutting his hair, but again she was holding his muzzle and he was growling then bit her.  He has growled at my daughter a couple of times she only walked past him.  He is on the whole very loving very stubborn but loves all people other dogs and kids on the whole he suddenly seems to change.  My daughter was stroking him with me in between and he suddenly growled and went to lunge and bite her, I  intervened so he just grazed the skin the other time he caught her on the arm but I thought at the time she had startled him.  I am quite down a bout it as I don't really want to rehome but I don't know what to do.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Help re biting daughter again!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »

Archie's growls are an indication he is not comfortable. 
I am in a similar position, so I will try and explain out situation and how we manage it.

Honey is 5.5yrs.  She is a very anxious dog, but responds very well to positive training.  She is prone to guarding things - primarily from other dogs, but with highly treasured items she does show low-level guarding tendencies to humans (reluctance to retrieve, snatching items etc).  She is also not confident around children - we didn't know any children when she was a pup, and her early experiences were not entirely positive.
I have 2 children - currently 2.5yrs and 1yr old, so what follows holds true much more consistently for the older one than the younger one, but the younger one will get there in time.

Both children know that they need to give Honey space.  Honey will growl if she feels threatened by their presence - we then step in to direct the children away, but we also work at teaching Honey how to move out of the situation.  We have a very strict "let sleeping dogs lie" rule - Honey can approach the children and then the children (with our help) can pet Honey (or give her a treat), but the children know not to approach Honey.  We spend a lot of time helping the children to give Honey treats (or kick her ball for her), so that she views them as something positive. 

If there seem to be times that Archie is more "grumpy" than other times, have you checked out a physical issue?  Honey has a bad back - she has a tight muscle that can flare up causing twitches (and pain) and she is certainly less tolerant when this is causing her any trouble.  We saw a McTimoney Chiropractor who highlighted the problem and showed me how to ease it.  This makes a huge difference.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
Re: Help re biting daughter again!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
Thank you for your detailed answer I am going to the vet with older dog for his vaccinations and I am going to see if they can check out Archie while I'm there he also seems to wee and drink a lot so I am going to take a sample with me.  I have always told my daughter to let Archie approach her and I am always there to supervise, thats when it seems to happen.  I practice positive reward based training which is better suited to him I quite agree!! Thanks again for your advice I will let u know on our trip to the vet's .

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
Follow on Archie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »
Have spoken to  Helen Taylor brill behaviourist in Dorset and we are working together with Archie she is doing a home visit in a wks time, so hopefully everything will go ok.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Follow on Archie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »
Have spoken to  Helen Taylor brill behaviourist in Dorset and we are working together with Archie she is doing a home visit in a wks time, so hopefully everything will go ok.

Really glad you have found someone to help you with Archie's issues.  The behaviourist who came and saw Ozzy has helped hugely, and, although it will be a long road, we are already seeing an improvement.  I'll be interested in what Helen Taylor says and what 'exercises' she recommends to help with Archies problems.  Good luck  :luv:

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
Re: Help re biting daughter again!!! Update - threads merged
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
Thankyou for all your answers I will let u know how I get on.