Author Topic: Possessive Dogs!  (Read 828 times)

Offline *DollyDaydream*

Possessive Dogs!
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »
Dolly has always been a bit wary of other dogs especially when they are on the lead, this sometimes turns into Dolly snarling and growling at the other dog. She is much better of the lead and is very submissive when she is. My cousins dogs who she doesn't know very well come into our house and garden and she has been fine and played nicely with them although she was very dominant over them. But recently when I take her on a walk and let her off the lead if she approaches another dog she is fine, very gentle and submissive. But if the dog comes over to me, jumps up to say hello, she chases the dog away growling. This hasn't just happened when another dog greets me, she does the same to the rest of my family. I spoke about this with my dog trainer as in the beginning it was just her growling on the lead as because of "fight or flight" she is unable to run. So I let her off more as she is better behaved, as she pulls now I am becomming reluctant to let her off! Although she acts fine unless the other dog greets me. Is this her being possessive about us? I can call her away from trouble easily but I just don't want an issue to arrise where Dolly injures another dog, although I don't think she ever would I really don't want the risk! Does anybody elses Cockers act like this?? Has anybody got a training solution they have used?? Just to add she is 10 months. Thanks  :D