Author Topic: First day with canny collar  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Misty

First day with canny collar
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »

Today was Beau's first day with a canny collar. It took a while to figure out and is a bit of a pain to put on...and particularly to release when you want to take the dog off the lead for a run around. She was very patient while I did that bit but overall I know she doesn't really like it. Went for a quick ten minute spin around the block when I first tried it and it certainly worked from the word go, although she did keep stopping on trying to paw the strap off he nose! She didn't succeed though.
After a while of using it can I expect her to learn not to pull and be ok when using a normal collar and lead, or ( I expect more likely) is she likely to go on pulling when the canny collar isn't on and being good when it is? I'd like to hear other people's experiences of using it in the longer term.

Offline Evadee

Re: First day with canny collar
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
We use them for ours, sometimes.

We got one for Tia when she was about 7 months old, took a while to work.  She hated it and still does.  It works like a dream with her now and we rarely use it.  Tia is now 2.5 yrs, she doesn't really pull on the normal collar now, I would say less than 5% of the time on the normal collar she pulls.

Jake, 1.5 years - started using his canny collar about a year ago.  He walks a lot better with the canny collar on than with a normal collar, but can still pull like a train sometimes (with the canny collar on!) especially when we are almost home. 

I have to say though, we mostly don't use the canny collars.  This is because my OH walks them most of the time and he prefers the harnesses.  We only use the canny collars when I walk them which is not very often as I am still recovering from a bit of a back issue.  The canny collars were recommended to us by a dog trainer when my back was playing up before, it means I can walk the dogs without any detriment to my back.  Any pull is felt in my arm and not my lower back.

Our dogs don't like them particularly, I have to "trick" Tia by putting the lead on her flat collar first then hold her and put the canny collar on above and move the lead  :005:  She won't pull, ever, on the canny collar though which is a result for me  ;)   I think Jake's pulling will improve as he matures, like Tia's did.  I think we would progress quicker with Jake if we used the canny collar all the time, but that's down to my OH's personal preference.

I think if you use it all the time you should get some good progress  :D  Oh and the trying to get off the nose part, they always do that if I stop for more than a few seconds, Jake will also rub his face against my leg to try to get it off  :005:

Offline Misty

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Thanks for that Evadee

ha, Beau tried the rubbing my leg tactic too...and she never does that, I thought she was being affectionate until I realised what she was up too....checking imp :005:

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
Same here, I don't use them all the time. I sometimes take one in my pocket in case Lola doesn't settle down after we initially leave the house.

I find I get back ache if I have two dogs pulling in opposite directions  >:( If they settle down I let them walk without as I know they are not keen  >:D

Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a dog that tolerates them - to be honest I think if they irritate them that much that they're constantly pawing to get them off then there must be a better and happier way to train them  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a dog that tolerates them - to be honest I think if they irritate them that much that they're constantly pawing to get them off then there must be a better and happier way to train them  ;)

Just to say that I use a Halti (which is similar to a Canny collar) to walk Ozzy, and have done since he was 5 months old.  He still pulls a bit, but he does tolerate it very well, so much so that he forgets he's got it on.  I always unclip his lead from it and leave it on when he's off-lead, and he never tries to get it off.  I'm beginning to think that it's working for him a bit like a Mekuti Calming Band.  If you persevere with the Canny, I'm sure he'll get used to it in time.  Good luck

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
I have a happy walker harness, but I am just trying a halti I am using clicker and treats to get him used to it indoors first so I am sure if you persevere he will get used to it.  I find that all the harness I have tried work to start with and then he figures it out and pulling starts again I have even tried the mekuti with out much success I have two dogs one a labrador and when they both pull it is tricky although the lab rarely pulls now.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
Our last 2 dogs-a Labrador and a collie x-both used halti's at first. The lab only needed it for a few months and then walked really well but the collie had it all her life. She didn't like it at first but it became like a treat in the end-she'd fetch the halti for you as soon as she saw us with the walking shoes!

Offline *DollyDaydream*

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
My cousins Springer responded brilliantly to the canny. She used to pull constantly but the canny collar was the only thing able to stop her.
For my Cocker I bought the halti, she hates it and is able to take it off. I think this may be because she has such a small muzzle she is able to slip it off. When it was kept on, she refused to walk. I then bought the Mikki Harness, this is the best option for smaller dogs. This is the only thing that has stopped her pulling, believe me we have tried everything! It's a much kinder option. Here is the Amazon link; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-Training-Anti-pull-Harness-Reflective/dp/B003XLFO22/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1365440249&sr=1-1&keywords=mikki+harness.
Hope this helps others!!!

Offline Misty

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. A couple more days in and Beau still isn't a fan of the canny collar though it does work. I'm going to try and persevere for a couple of weeks to see if she settles and accepts it better. If not then I don't think ill continue to use it.

Many thanks for your feedback Dollydaydream, I've checked out the link and can see the great reviews so this might be my back up plan!