Author Topic: Random barking  (Read 903 times)

Offline **purpleprincess**

Random barking
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
My cocker Luca is a year old now and is fab in most areas. The issue we are having is random, no rhyme or reason barking at random people/dogs when we walk him. He can be fine for a few days and then will bark at random people. Sometimes it's men, sometimes it's women, sometimes it's kids. It is usually when they have approached him. He will move towards them and wag his tail but barks and barks. Sometimes he will snarl. Sometimes though people will approach him and he is fine, he will roll on his back for a belly rub. I would say though 8-9 times out of 10 he will bark. It is also random with dogs too. Sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. This all happens on lead walks. When he is off the lead he is fine, obviously we cannot always walk him off the lead! Totally random, but very upsetting.

The reason I am posting this again is because I wonder if anyone has any advice, and if anyone might be able to recommend a trainer that could come out and see Luca on a walk and help us with some more training in this area? We live near Brighton.

Thank you!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Random barking
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
Dogs are often more reactive on lead than off. I think it's because by having them on lead (which we all have to at times) we're restricting what they can do and what body language they can use. It might also be that you're adding tension to the situation by feeling worried about how Luca is going to react to other dogs and people when he's on lead. If you're feeling anxious the anxiety will travel down the lead to Luca, and he'll see it in your body language too, and that's likely to make him worried. So it can become a bit of a vicious circle.

I think the idea of finding a good trainer or behaviourist to watch you and Luca on a walk is a really good one, and hopefully somebody will be able to point you in the right direction of one local to you.

If I were you I think for the time being I'd try to avoid close encounters with people and dogs while Luca is on lead as he's clearly uncomfortable with them. It could also help if you had treats with you and teach Luca to sit close to you and watch you while people and dogs go by, so he's focussing on you, and quietly praising and rewarding every time he stays calm. If he can't manage to stay calm, just move on without fuss.

Hope you find a solution :D

Offline **purpleprincess**

Re: Random barking
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
Thank you. I have been doing a lot more focussed stuff now with clicker and treats and there is some improvement already. So will persevere and seek out a trainer. I think you're right about the tension in the lead perhaps.
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)