Author Topic: gemma has attacked poppy  (Read 1117 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
gemma has attacked poppy
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »
the 3 of us were on the sofa, gemma in the middle asleep as was poppy. then gemma just shot up and attacked poppy, getting hold of her lip. Cant not believe how quick it happened. Poppy was screaming and gemma was just hanging on, no noise from her. i could not get her off
 she was oblivious to everything else, got my hand chomped by poppy ( punctured on my palm and a perfect upper teeth imprint and bruising on the top of my hand trying to get her off ( hurts like buggery)
I know some wont like this, but i had to resort to bitting gemma's ear to get her off and my hand out. , gemma let go and acted as nothing was wrong.
don't want to go into spaniel rage. wondered if she had a moment of jealousy. She has been trying to hump my leg alot lately and will try to get closer to me if poppy wants a cuddle. To night she has been banished from the sofa and is currently asleep at my feet.But still watching her like a hawk, have lost a bit of trust in her
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: gemma has attacked poppy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me hope your not too badly hurt Hun  :luv: what a shock for you  :o x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
So sorry to read this MIN  :'( hugs to Poppy & you.......don't know what to say, just sending good thoughts & wishes. Someone will offer something more constructive - but could Gemma have been dreaming, or was startled awake?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
So sorry to read this MIN  :'( hugs to Poppy & you.......don't know what to say, just sending good thoughts & wishes. Someone will offer something more constructive - but could Gemma have been dreaming, or was startled awake?

it is a thought. wonder what would have happened if the bitey end was facing me  :o
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Oh Min what a shame.  Scary and painful.  Jealousy?  Guarding you?  What are their ages and how long have they been together?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Oh dear, I'm sure you must be feeling shaken up and a bit shocked right now :bigarmhug:

Sounds like jealousy, especially as you've said that Gemma has been trying to get closer to you lately if Poppy wants a cuddle.

Jealousy isn't unusual and can easily erupt into physical form. I don't know if you normally leave Gemma and Poppy together at night or if you're out in the daytime, but if so I'd change that for the time being and keep them separated when you're not around, just to be on the safe side. Gemma will be in a heightened state of tension right now and that may take a while to diminish.

When Louis was a few months old we had a couple of incidents where William flew at him, growling and barking, and they had a bit of a scuffle. But it was more noise than anything else and definitely no hanging on. I could be wrong here, but the way you describe Gemma's attack as being silent and then holding on to Poppy's ear and not letting go makes me think Gemma meant business. I'm not sure if your comment about spaniel rage means that you're worried that Gemma has it, but I'm sure she hasn't. She sounds as though she was intensely jealous, which is actually a normal dog behaviour although a fairly extreme one sometimes.

I'm hoping somebody with experience of this will comment, but my thoughts are that for now you should keep them separate when they can't be supervised and think about getting a behaviourist in. The last thing you want is for things to escalate so I think you need to act quickly.

Take care of your hand too as even small puncture wounds from a dog tooth can easily become infected.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
No experience of this personally but Elaine.e sounds to be giving excellent advice. Just wanted to send you some massive hugs.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
cockertime blues    gemma is 27 months, poppy is 11 years. been together now 17 months.

elanie.e   because poppy is a staffie ( and could very easily damage gemma) they are never left unsupervised as a rule. Gemma gets crated or is with us..  I have made a start by having her settle at my feet and not on the sofa with pops. she seems alright with that. if she wants a cuddle i will drop on the floor.
 i must admit this has happened before ( not as nasty), the common denominator is that i was sat with them both at this time also. when they are together and i am out the picture they are fine together doing their own thing (pops sleeping,gemma messing about as cockers do
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »

i must admit this has happened before ( not as nasty), the common denominator is that i was sat with them both at this time also. when they are together and i am out the picture they are fine together doing their own thing (pops sleeping,gemma messing about as cockers do

I *think* that may be your answer  :-\

It does seem like Gemma is jealous but i can't understand why she snapped suddenly when Poppy was asleep, it's difficult as none of us saw it happen, but in the meantime i wouldn't have either of them on the sofa with me even separately.

Very upsetting for you  :bigarmhug:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.