Author Topic: 2 Years on.  (Read 945 times)

Offline Pilki

2 Years on.
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
Well 2 years on and a lot of money spent on trying to sort Ollie out I think I have come to the decision that maybe its best to re-home Ollie. This will be very sad and upsetting but think it may be the right thing for him.

Ollie is a working cocker lovely temperament apart from the possession aggression  and the problems i have trying to put his lead or harness on.  He is very loving loves his cuddles and walks, likes playing ball. when he does show his aggression I am unsure if he would turn. He loves children and love nothing better than sitting at the gates waiting for people or children to pass to give him some fuss.  Everybody knows Ollie in the village and the children will call just to see him.  But at the back of my mind Im not sure if he will turn.  I have a 9 month old grandson and at the moment they seem fine together but that 1% of me is very unsure.

Ollie deserves to be living in an environment where some one could work him,  or somewhere where he could run free without putting the lead on. I think he is fine with children but older children would be better. I would rather re-home him than have to have him put down because he has bitten someone.

Would like your opinions please.........   :'(

Offline rednblack

Re: 2 Years on.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »
I'm so sorry to read that you've come to the end of the road with Ollie.  I'm sure you've done all you can, two years is a long time to keep trying, and if you're still worried about him it won't make for happy relationship.

There's a 'sticky' at the top of this section with good information.  The only thing I would say is, if Ollie's breeder won't take him back, please don't advertise him on Gumtree or any of those sites, try a breed rescue such as http://www.caessr.org.uk/ (there are others).

And if he isn't already neutered, please consider it before he goes to safeguard him from being used for breeding if he should ever fall into less caring hands.

Best wishes.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »
I'm also very sorry to read this, it must be so incredibly difficult for you. A decision no one wants to have to make. I can't give you any answers on what's best to do; you know him better than anyone and only you can decide what is best for him. I can only echo rednblack's advice in that if you decide to go ahead you choose a reputable rescue. Perhaps if you mention your area someone might be able to suggest one.

I really feel for you, I know what it's like to live with a dog you can never truly trust, and it's not easy. They can be so incredibly loving and loyal, which makes the decision that much harder. I can only advise that you look at it with an objective eye and decide what is best for Ollie.

Big hugs :bigarmhug:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
So sorry to read this, you must have thought long and hard to reach this decision, we have had problems with selby like alot of people on here, our breeder did say to us that it does take a long time for cockers to mature and was told he would be about three before he would grow up, and to be honest he is 4 in November and is so much my best friend now, we are still working on his barking but he is so lovable.

I wish you all the best :luv:

Offline Pilki

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
Thanks all for your kind words, this decision hasn't come lightly and it breaks my heart i love him so much.  I live in south wales and in my heart i want him to go to somebody that will love him as much as i do.  I ideally would like him to go to somebody that he has some where to run free and not have a lead put on him.  He is a lovely pet and will make somebody a loving companion. 

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
Many Tears is in Wales and may be able to help, or refer you to another suitable rescue. They do a lot of work rescuing puppy farm dogs, but they take on pets too:

http://www.manytearsrescue.org/

Just a word of caution - again repeating what rednblack mentioned above: there's a lot of puppy farms in Wales, so do be careful if he isn't neutered.

Good luck; despite his problems he does sound like a lovely boy, and if you do decide to go ahead I am sure the right home is out there for him :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of re-homing Ollie. It's a horrible decision to have to make  :-\

Personally I think it would be better to contact Four Paws - not only are they a small charity but they are very cocker savvy ;)  You could also pm PennyB here who is involved in the rescue.

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk/
helen & jarvis x

Offline Biddy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
Hi,
So sorry to hear about your situation,

This rescue site maybe able to help you too, I don't have person experience of them but they seem to be geared towards workers and finding the right type of home for their needs.

http://www.workingcockerspanielrescue.co.uk/rescue-dogs

Best wishes  :bigarmhug: