Author Topic: 'Shroomy'  (Read 2315 times)

Offline cockerdile

Re: 'Shroomy'
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
Yes. That's how i have felt; I felt it was a bit compulsive. We'll stick to keeping her 'sectioned' off when she starts going shroomy.

Can i ask opinions on how to teach a settle as that is something I have read a lot about but its something that seems to me to be the most difficult to train. I have read all sorts from treating your puppy when they are calm and relaxed to Ian Dunbars puppy books saying to physically restrain your puppy until they calm and of course treating them when they calm down since those boooks are still of course positive rewards based - which is the approach we have been taking.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
I taught my two to settle by putting their bed by where I was sitting, encouraging them to lie on it (they know what "in your bed" means) and then dropping treats down to them when they were quiet and still, after saying the word "settle".  It did take time for them to understand what "settle" means but it's worth it in the end.  Especially useful for times when you need them to be quiet and for trips to the pub  ;)
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »
Choose a command word you are happy with and use it each time you pop your girl in her crate, or she settles on her own  ;) it takes some time but well worth it in a pub when you want some peace  :005:  I use "snoozie" which is from the alarm clock in a morning and now very embarrassing but works  ph34r

If she only does the "shroomy" behaviour when there are lights/shadows she does seem to be a bit OCD - spaniels seem to be a bit prone to it but make fabulous drug/bomb detection dogs as a result given you can train the trait into ball obsession = ball reward for finding X. Your gundog trainer should be able to help you with coping strategies - although you seem to be recognising and dealing with the behaviour at the time  :D have you taught her the stop whistle? It would be a good opportunity to train and try to break any habit/ritual she is developing.....

If her behaviour is the same, with or without shadows/lights then she may just be very pleased to see you and given her age.......teenage......it may all be perfectly normal as Lorna says - still a good opportunity to practice the stop whistle in this house!

Jayne (pearl age 4.5 scs, coral age 8 months wcs)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
As the others have suggested - pick a word and use this when you want her settled.  If necessary restrain her in a crate or on a lead even - if you don't use a crate.  Then reward when quiet.  Otherwise, I just don't play games/do any training (as it winds them all up) inside the house or even in my garden.  So mine have just learned that going out means fun/games/training, and coming home means quiet (ish!).  They are generally happy to rest when inside as they have expended their excess energy when we've been out anyway.  It's a bit bonkers when I get back from work, but I take them out more or less straight away. I also give them hooves to chew - this gives them something to do and helps relax them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline lescef

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/wp-content/.../04/Relax_on_a_mat.pdf
This is what I used to teach our two to lie quietly -one of the best things we have taught them. Hope the link works!

Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies all, I am especially excited to read that this behaviour can be channelled into something that can be advantageous - we intend to attempt to train her to hunt truffles.

Lescef, your link didn't work but I have found it here :) I believe you may have copied and pasted that link from google and it was truncated it in the middle http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Relax_on_a_mat.pdf

Thanks for the advice, we honestly couldn't be happier with our little cocker, she's fantastic but the 'shroomy' behaviour did concern me as as you have said it seemed a bit OCD. I'd much sooner her want to play endless fetch than scoot around permanently gazing at 'nothing'

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies all, I am especially excited to read that this behaviour can be channelled into something that can be advantageous - we intend to attempt to train her to hunt truffles.

Are there any Lagotto Romagnolo breeders close to you? They are mostly used to hunt truffles now and may have training sessions you could join or advice on when /what to start

I also think your girl looks a lovely size, not at all thin  :D

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Ah, we've found a couple of trainers for truffle hunting but we've been advised to get her under control a bit more first as she is still 'too puppy' for them :)

As for Lagotto Romagnolo, the closest breeder is well over 100 miles away and we couldn't really resist a spaniel since we both think they are lovely dogs - I'm sure Lagotto Romagnolo are too, but the spaniel beckoned and we know they are very popular as 'sniffers' (and we needed a dog that was a little bit mental, to suit us :005:).

Thanks for the compliment on our pup :)