Author Topic: Stealing/Hiding stuff on walks....  (Read 1806 times)

Offline pibbo1968

Stealing/Hiding stuff on walks....
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:11 PM »
Jura is now almost 2 1/2 and generally very good.Excellent recall etc BUT has started ignoring us and hiding stuff when out walking ph34r
99% of his walks are off lead either in local woods/commons/parks etc.If he picks something up(empting plastic bottle,stick etc) and we tell him "drop" or "leave it" he wanders off into the undergrowth to hide it :005: He will ignore us and reappear at his leisure >:( He will then go and "find" the item the next time we walk in that area.
This has now progressed to other dogs balls.He'll play nicely then steal a ball and do exactly the same.He will not respond to any calls to drop/leave/come etc he will go off and hide the ball :-\
I/we can usually find the ball to return to the owner but it usually involved wading into a stream or through thick undergrowth to retrieve it!He is whistle trained but also ignores this.
He'd be useless a a gun-dog as he hides rather than retrieves :005: :005: :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Stealing/Hiding stuff on walks....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
 :D  They are funny little souls aren’t they,  :luv: always seem to need a mission! (Ours is currently collecting firewood to carry home, which doesn‘t sound too bad except most of the branches are around 6 foot long! I‘m seriously wondering whether to get myself some shin pads!  :lol:)
Have you tried taking a canvas training dummy with you on walks? You can either throw it for Jura to retrieve and bring back to you (if you make a big thing of letting him see you put the treats in, he‘ll soon catch on that he needs you to open it before he gets his reward). Alternatively you can hide it, drop it inconspicuously while you‘re walking and then send him back for it, or make him sit while you put it down somewhere and then send him off to bring it. (Trains impulse control at the same time  ;)) Alternatively, you can make him sit  and wait while you walk forward, drop the dummy and then carry on walking (in another direction if you want), then call him to you and he has to come to you before you send him off for the dummy. There are lots of variations you can try but it might just keep him more focused on you rather than finding his own entertainment and you can incorporate all sorts of other training into the game (sit, down, wait, here, ....)
Hope it might help? :D

Offline pibbo1968

Re: Stealing/Hiding stuff on walks....
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 10:50:10 AM »
Thanks!
I've been watching a few "gun dog" training videos for tips!
I'm going to buy a Dummy and see how it goes :shades:
I think I'll start in a local quiet wood we use where we see very few other dogs/walkers!