Author Topic: old tricks  (Read 4021 times)

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
old tricks
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:42:09 PM »
Sooty is laid on the back seat of the car (we went to the park), the car is in the garage, sooty wont get out of the car! If I go near him he barks and snaps. I've tried teasing him out with food but his refusing it. He goes in the car quite often and has refused to get out once before, but now his really aggressive?

I put the car in the garage after he refused to get out so he might get the idea that we werent going anywhere else!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: old tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »
I'm not sure what to suggest really.  If it were me, I would probably tell him I'm going, give him a chance to get out, if he didn't I would leave him there, walk away shut the door (as long as you know he is absolutely safe), leave him for a few minutes and then go back and try again.  This would give you both a few minutes to diffuse the situation.

Just not too sure if he would see this as getting his own way or not  :-\ but still it is probably what I would do.  I'm sorry I can't be of much further help.  :-\
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 09:11:13 PM »
I read this post earlier and could offer no help?  Ben is a stubborn so and so and I have shut the door on him at night when he's been in the garden for a last wee but won't come in ............ I've said goodnight and shut the door and switched the lights off ............ then spent 1/4 hour watching him in the darkness having a great time  ph34r  I still haven't had the courage to leave him any longer!  The only thing that works for Ben is a really tasty treat and I think you've tried that?

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:14:52 PM »
Edited : To say I have removed my earlier comment, in the circumstances I feel it inappropiated. It was only meant as a light hearted joke. I didn't realised the seriousness of your problem.

I do hope it hasn't been taken the wrong way,  but if it has, then I am sorry.

Good Luck

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
just went back out, his been by himself for about half an hour, as soon as i opened the car door he started again, definately not playfully! I'll give him a full hour and see what he does. I'm very dissapointed that after all this time he would be so aggressive with me

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:15:52 PM »
MMmmm, not sure about how to get him out now (good luck BTW  ;)); but perhaps use a travel crate in future to prevent him taking possesion of the back seat ??  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »
MMmmm, not sure about how to get him out now (good luck BTW  ;)); but perhaps use a travel crate in future to prevent him taking possesion of the back seat ??  ::)
He wont be going back in the car for a very long time after this!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:20:27 PM »
It's a difficult one. How about driving away to somewhere close by, within easy walking distance of home - then if he gets out, walk him back, then return for your car.  :huh:

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 09:23:51 PM »
It's a difficult one. How about driving away to somewhere close by, within easy walking distance of home - then if he gets out, walk him back, then return for your car.  :huh:
sounds like a plan! wish me luck

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:29:05 PM »

Good luck !  :lol: When trying to lure him out the car try and be matter of fact about it - sometimes being too over the top in encouragement can just make dogs nervous and make them dig their heels in.

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »
Well I guess no one will be stealing the car tonight, he wont budge and there is no pacifying him. Ive never seen him as bad as this before?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 09:50:30 PM »
Well I guess no one will be stealing the car tonight, he wont budge and there is no pacifying him. Ive never seen him as bad as this before?

Have you called your vet/behaviourist for advice? I'd be tempted to consider sedation, rather than manhandling him, at this stage if he refuses to move and you fear for your safety. Hes obviously a very unhappy doggy still; and I know you've worked really hard with him, Phil :(

I'd be concerned about leaving him all night - not only for his own welfare, but if he establishes himself for that length of time, then you may never get him out.... :o
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 10:21:13 PM »
The only thing i can think of now is to bite the bullet!  Ignore the teeth and get him by the collar and frog march him to bed - no speaking or anything.  I have had to do this with Ben and within a few feet of the march he submits - I just have to ignore the mouthing/biting.  I don't know if this will work long term but the silent reinforcement seems to work.  He gets nothing out of it bar the few seconds of chewing my arm and then at least 5 minutes in his bed (crate).  I have to add that he has never taken to his crate but readily goes in of his own accord when it's bed time or leave for work time.
Good luck!

PS I'm sorry but i can't recall Sooty's history - just saying what I would do with wayward/stubborn Ben

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 10:25:43 PM »
Difficult one, and maybe this sounds harsh but as long as he is safe and secure in the garage, I'd leave the rear car doors open, lock up, turn the lights out and leave him to it. I can only think that making no impact may tempt him out  :huh:
Good luck.

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 10:55:29 PM »
He is still in the car! The vet said leave him in it for the night and bring him round in the morning, Ill park it back in the garage with the door open and his bed in the garage and see what happens. 

Cars in the garage now, doors are open and his bed is in the garage too. I wasnt going to force him as to be honest I was too scared too! He is really mad and I havent a clue why (apart from deciding that the car is now his territory), he has been good all day and no problem at all.
For those who dont know Sooty is a blind (PRA prcd) rescue 4 year old solid black. I was misled by the rescue (which has since been shut down) as to the nature of sootys problems which were that he had bitten three people and had been rehomed twice.