Author Topic: Vegas's trip to the behaviourist  (Read 10663 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Vegas's trip to the behaviourist
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:09:06 PM »
Vegas went to see the behaviourist today. Her conclusion was the same as mine - he is one confused and stressed out little dog :'( Obviously it wasn't just me who fell to pieces when Brook died - it has had a similar effect on Vegas. He is not comfortable being leader and he is not doing a very good job of it as a result. So he is stressed and all the other dogs are stressed because of this. First thing I have to do is get his eyes checked as he has been showing a lot of anxious behaviour when its a bit darker so this will be to rule out any eye problems. I have to carry on with the DAP and the scullcap & valerian tablets. I have to introduce training discs to interrupt any of his grumbling behaviour in the house as the verbal commands only work about 90% of the time. I have to teach them all the relax command with the intention of reducing any stress as it occurs. The one major step is that I have to promote Dallas to number one position  :o  This would have been the last thing I would have thought of doing as I have always thought of Dallas as a very submissive dog by nature. However, the other day Dallas was having a drink and Vegas growled at him as he wanted a drink ::) Dallas just growled back at him and Vegas backed off with no problem at all. This incident has led her to believe that Dallas would be more than capable of being above Vegas and that Vegas would be a lot happier being further down the pecking line. She also wants me to alter the way I do my time outs whenever a squabble ensues. Normally I would remove Vegas from the room for 5 minutes then let him back in. But apparently that confuses him even further so I have to put him out but also put the others out too away from Vegas. Then I have to bring them in one by one starting with Dallas. I have to carry these steps out for a couple of weeks and see how we get on. Apparently, when promoting another dog, it can be quite common for squabbles to take place between dogs 2 and 3 so I need to keep a close eye on how Disney reacts to the situation. I am quite nervous about messing with the hierarchy but it does seem to be the only way to make Vegas a bit happier.

Wish us luck ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
Re: Vegas's trip to the behaviourist
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:12:09 PM »
Wow, Gill, good luck with that!!   I don't think I would in any way be an experienced enough dog person to deal with that.... will stick to 1 dog me thinks...

Glad to hear there are steps you can take to help Vegas though, wishing you all the best and hope he is a happy relaxed dog soon :luv:

Petra

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »
Best of luck with it Gill  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:59:57 PM »
Good luck Gill - brilliant explaination btw; it makes perfect sense when put so clearly like that  ;)

I hope it all goes well and that the transition goes smoothly - I will be looking out for updates  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »
I do hope you can get your head around all that. I'm with Petra on this one!

Hope it goes well. Do keep us up to date.

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
Good LucK Gill,

I hope Vagas, is ok, and it all fits to gether for the better.

Does this affect you getting your Jersey??
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Penel

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 07:22:16 PM »
No mention of the DAP lowering inhibitions then ?  tis something I have come across a few times lately, especially with lurchers grumbling at each other in the house (not mine - other people's).... the DAP is unplugged - and everyone slots back into their places..... just something to bear in mind if your plan doesn't work out.
Good luck - I hope it all does work out, although I am not really a fan of humans attempting to intervene with hierarchy so I will be very interested to hear how it goes.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
Good for you for trying to make your dog's lives a happier one. If anyone can succeed, you can Gill, wishing you loads of luck and keep us posted. When it starts to fall into place don't forget to brag away  ;)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:49:03 PM »
wow you are going to be one very busy lady gill.i hope all goes well for you and the boys :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »
wow, that was fascinating reading. 

i know that it will be difficult for you but you must be relieved that the behaviourist has concurred with your thoughts and that you have a way forward for you all.

Fingers crossed that it will all fall into place and vegas get's his mojo back ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 10:13:17 PM »
Wow - sounds like you have your work cut out Gill.

How will Jersey fit into all this - will it upset the balance?

Look forward to hearing how you and your 4 beauties get on.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
Good luck.  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 11:34:39 PM »
Phew Gill sound complicated,but worth it if Vegas is happier. I think we always assume that the dog we have had longest/oldest will be boss and not take individual personalities into account.  Abby our black bitch is the boss in our house (2nd dog) Billy male but castrated is happy for this and lets Abby lead, the only issue we have is everything is on her terms and sometimes this means she won't let the other 2 (Roxy & Flossy) girls play without a bit of grumbling.

Good luck

Michelle

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:23 PM »
I have honestly got to say that I never thought that deeply about doggy issues like that.  Good look Gill, I think you will have your work cut out, especially with Jersey soon on the scene.

Regular updates are a must. 

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 05:43:38 PM »
I think if Jersey will be anything like most females, it won't take long for her to show everyone who is boss.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal