Author Topic: Dogs in the New Forest  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Bluebird

• Site Member
Dogs in the New Forest
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
We are very lucky to be moving close to the New Forest soon.   However, when we were there last weekend Jenny was running around having great fun off lead when a group of ponies came out of the woodland and she got very excited and started running around a young pony trying to play with it.  We were calling her like mad but she was too excited and ignoring us completely.  The horse kicked out at her a couple of times which was very scary and thankfully it missed and we finally managed to get her back on lead before she was hurt. 

My question is in places like the New Forest where lots of animals are roaming free what is the best way to teach Jenny to leave them alone - It would be a shame to have her on lead all the time, but as you never know when a pony or cow, etc is going to come out of the bushes in the Forest how do I stop her treating them like giant playmates? 

Lynn and Jenny

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Dogs in the New Forest
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »
I would try long line training to teach her recall - and then when you see livestock you can recall her and leash her, but she can have her freedom the rest of the time  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »
hi jenny - lucky you moving to the new forest - we're not so far away (salisbury-ish) and come to the forest as much as we can so should arrange a mini meet sometime.

Long lead training is a good suggestion - we now can recall jarv to us when we see horses/pigs/cows/donkeys and rarely have to leash him around livestock.  He has learnt that horses and cows don't play back so he doesn't even try any more and is much more interested in sniffing and finding birds.

If you fancy practicing with stooge horses come see us!  we walk in a water meadow full of riding school horses who have 'trained' hundreds of dogs in the last few years.  they literally ignore dogs even when barked at (thankfully jarv doesn't do that!) and stand stock still so they're no fun to taunt at all.  really has helped with jarvis.
helen & jarvis x

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:11:40 AM »
we found ourselves in a similar scenario in august when up in the lakes, where sheep have a tendancy to suddenly pop out from the bracken with no warning. barkley just went loopy and my oh had one particular nightmare walk when barkley spotted a sheep before he did, and was gone after it before my oh could react. we don't think he harmed the sheep but he definitely now carries the label of 'sheep worrier' and we are anxious to try to sort it out. the long line idea is a really good one and we'll have to try it.

in fairness to barkley, he is getting better all the time. one of our walks takes us past fields of cows that are easily accessible. i'm now able to stop him from entering and after a few quivering moments stood looking in wonder at these big mysterious creatures, he'll drag himself away and continue on his walk. sheep are another story because they run away.  >:(

hope you manage to come up with a successful strategy that allows you all to relax and enjoy your walks. the new forest is a wonderful place. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:22:28 AM »
We live close to the New Forest and walk the dogs daily there.  When introducing a new dog to the ponies we took a long lead to start with and then moved on to  distracting toys which we only used on walks , when they had ignored nearby ponies they were given a small treet.  Hope all goes well with the move

Tracey

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »
we found ourselves in a similar scenario in august when up in the lakes, where sheep have a tendancy to suddenly pop out from the bracken with no warning. barkley just went loopy and my oh had one particular nightmare walk when barkley spotted a sheep before he did, and was gone after it before my oh could react. we don't think he harmed the sheep but he definitely now carries the label of 'sheep worrier' and we are anxious to try to sort it out. the long line idea is a really good one and we'll have to try it.

in fairness to barkley, he is getting better all the time. one of our walks takes us past fields of cows that are easily accessible. i'm now able to stop him from entering and after a few quivering moments stood looking in wonder at these big mysterious creatures, he'll drag himself away and continue on his walk. sheep are another story because they run away.  >:(

hope you manage to come up with a successful strategy that allows you all to relax and enjoy your walks. the new forest is a wonderful place. :)

As Elisa can testify, Alfie is also a sheep chaser and I'm a bit worried about taking him back to the walk we went on recently  ph34r... looks like he'll be back on the long line again as well  ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Bluebird

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »
Thank you for the advice, will definitely be giving the long lead a go.  Hopefully she will get used to the sight of livestock popping in and out or bushes, etc soon enough.  Can't wait to get moving now and so looking forward to lots of long walks in the Forest.  Hopefully we will be in our new home by Christmas or soon after.

Lynn and Jenny

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 08:49:56 PM »
stand stock still so they're no fun to taunt at all.  really has helped with jarvis.

Its when someone has the audacity to sit on one that my two go nuts ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!