Author Topic: Vegas's trip to the behaviourist  (Read 10662 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Vegas's trip to the behaviourist
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 05:55:32 PM »
Be really interested in how this progresses Gill - so much of this is how Jsper and Buddy behave - but sadly Jasper thinks he is and wants to be top dog :'(

Hope you get it sorted so you can all relax.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
I'm with Cathy, Jersey will soon have the boys sorted. Seriously though good luck we never managed to sort out the pecking order with Henry and Jasper so they have to live seperately now.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 10:15:15 PM »
As the problems don't lie between Vegas & Dallas, I am hopeful that things will work out by switching their positions.  Today was the first day of the new regime and so far so good. I nearly forgot to give Dallas his food first at breakfast time and to take his lead off first at the park but remembered in the nick of time ;) We still have plenty of time to get into a new routine before the new pup arrives but if things do go all a bit pete tong then we will put the puppy plans on hold as the resident dogs have to come first. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that though ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
Keep up the good work Gill :D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 12:37:48 AM »
Surely dogs  are quite capable of finding  their own pecking order? They do not have us to do it in the wild, but if it works and destresses your dog gill then the best of luck.
I would be very wary about messing with the dynamics of my pack but it will be interesting to see your results.
Who was the behaviourist and what qualifications do they hold out of interest?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »
Surely dogs  are quite capable of finding  their own pecking order? They do not have us to do it in the wild, but if it works and destresses your dog gill then the best of luck.
I would be very wary about messing with the dynamics of my pack but it will be interesting to see your results.
Who was the behaviourist and what qualifications do they hold out of interest?

Great, just what I wanted to hear when my nerves are already shot ;) :005: :005: The lady we went to see is a veterinary nurse who has done a few behaviour courses including the canine/human interface course?? Means nothing to me but she came highly recommended from a few vets that I spoke to.

I'm open to all suggestions so feel free to pipe up if you have any other ideas ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »
Aw Gill I really hope it works out for you and your boys. I know how I felt when I took billy to a behaviourist, you're not convinced they are right but you feel as though  you have to trust that what they say is right, it's much easier said than done!

I'm sure with the advice from COL and you yourself you will soon determin if it's the right route or not  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 10:49:28 AM »
Surely dogs  are quite capable of finding  their own pecking order? They do not have us to do it in the wild,

Quite true, but I have read behavioural research in to pack animals of all types (including wolves & baboons!) and it is evident that the loss of a strong pack leader (in this case, Brook) can lead to complete collapse of a successfully functioning pack, with internal disputes, fights, defections to other packs, reduction in births etc etc due to the lack of an effective replacement for the pack leader  :-\

Obviously, in nature, they find their own way and the pack is often absorbed into surrounding packs or exisits for several years in a state of chaos and disruption until another leader "steps up" - but in the case of packs that we have created, I think we have a responsibility to assist them in dealing with these issues to prevent this type of chaos occurring in our  own homes ;)

I hope it works out for you all Gill, and that little Jersey joins a harmonious home as planned  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 12:47:11 PM »
I said at the start of the thread how I feel - same as Mark - I do not feel it is possible to change hierarchy within packs by human intervention.
Do you seriously believe that putting one dog's lead on or off first is going to make a difference.
In a wolf pack - the puppies eat first - so probably not wise to go down the "wolf" route IWLass  ;) :005:

I don't know whereabouts you are Gill but if you are anywhere near Angela Stockdale - she is the maestro of canine aggression and I would heartily recommend her to anyone with "pack" problems.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »

In a wolf pack - the puppies eat first - so probably not wise to go down the "wolf" route IWLass  ;) :005:

I wasn't thinking of applying pack theory to the household (I thought you knew I'm not a fan  ;))

Mark used the analogy of packs in the wild being able to sort themselves out heirarchy-wise - I agree that they can, but its often at a price and takes a while - one that we are unable to tolerate in a domestic situation  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »
I don't know whereabouts you are Gill but if you are anywhere near Angela Stockdale - she is the maestro of canine aggression and I would heartily recommend her to anyone with "pack" problems.

I'm in East Scotland and now I'm more confused than ever ::)

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 02:16:20 PM »
Oh Gill - there's different thoughts coming from all over the place here. :huh:

Only you know your dogs and you will do whatever you believe is right.

I do hope it works for you whatever you decide and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Good luck!
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 04:13:15 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Penel

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 06:55:38 PM »
What I would do is ignore the lot of 'em - withdraw your attention so that they have to sort themselves out.  Sounds harsh maybe but that is what I personally would do.....

You are miles away from Angela - she is down in Somerset... you could email her though and see if she knows of anyone close to you that works the same ways as she does.....www.dogpartnership.com

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 07:34:25 PM »
I don't profess to be a behaviourist or anything but common sense and years of experience tell me I would listen to Mark and Penel, Gill,
What you've been 'advised'  sounds way too complicated. If it were me I would be worried that I  could end up with a pack of very confused dogs.