Author Topic: Noisey Indi  (Read 628 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Noisey Indi
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »
Indi's behavior has changed lately, I know at the moment Kody is 18 months and changes are at foot right  now he is challenging for top dog, things like he has decided if she hasn't eaten her tea fast enough or he particularly likes whats for tea he will take hers as well and she doesn't even protest, also he goes through the dog door first, and she used to sleep at the top of the bed with me and him down the bottom now its the opposite (only occasional on my bed) :o But lately she has decided with no provocation, she just barks at a beagle and gets a little nasty, growls, she has been with for nearly a year at agility and never bothered before, barks a lot at agility now driving me crazy. Kody has also gone up a class so he is now in the same class. In response I usually get her to drop into a submissive position, this works for a few minutes then she is off again, the beagle is a female, the only other dog she does this to is another gold cocker only seven or eight months old also female, but her closest friends are two female King Charles Cavs so its not females, part of it with the beagle is she just gets so excited at agility she just wants her turn so she can jump. She is 2 years 4 months and a totally hyper-active, I wouldn't say a really dominant dog just full of herself, usually ignores other dogs would rather give a cuddle to the owners at the park, occasionally has a growl at another dog,she will run and play but would prefer to chase the ball, and accepts that others dogs get the ball also, where Kody will run in circles like a loon with other dogs and plays, anyone familiar or seen this type of behavior before? Thinking of taking them seperatly to agility, giving more time alone to her, or will this make it worse :-\
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Noisey Indi
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:03 AM »
I would to an extent let things take their course however it must not be allowed to develop into bullying.
If necessary feed the dogs separately or make sure your boy does not disturb her while eating.
Your bitch may be feeling a little insecure around other dogs because of her treatment from the boy.
The barking at agility could be this insecurity creeping in or it could be frustration.
One thing is for sure if your dog barks and the other dog is seen to go away then the strategy has worked for your dog and it will become a behaviour she will repeat.
Putting your dog into a down is doing nothing to address how she feels about the other dogs but it is taking one of her defence options of flight away from her.
She is not barking because she is dominant.
Dominant dogs do not need to bark as they are confident around other dogs and feel no need to make them go away.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Re: Noisey Indi
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:18:42 AM »
Thanks Mark, things have settled, she is back to sleeping beside me, well last night anyway husband os,and he slept equal level with her on the other side of me and meal times back to normal. Interested in you saying dominant dogs do not need to bark, the owner of the beagle usually take the dog out of her reach she has snapped at the dog what should I do in this situation, I feel she is hyper active but has done the same only with gold cockers but..... played nicley with a Gold cocker at the park the other day could it be only while on the lead? again what do I do? my head instructor said she feels while on the lead all dogs should be kept seperate,  dont feel this is the answer. She has attended obed classes since she was 4 months, agility, gundog club, tracking, so has been well socialized and never before been a problem.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers