Author Topic: OK another from me - how to stop kids encouraging jumping up?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
OK, Chloe is fantastic and is really sensible for her age IMO/E but I'd really like to get her to stop jumping up! She is learning not to with me as we spend so much time together and she know's exactly what I mean if I say no! But my problem is my 2 kids play with older kids and they often want to come by and say hello to her, which in their mind means come here and jump up! I can tell them not to encourage her and I think they will pretty much go with this to be honest, but is there any training I can do to emphasise this with Chloe? I think she knows not to do it as she almost looks over her shoulder when she does it but they pat their laps to tell her to do it!

Could I train her to do it on command or should I just stick to not doing it at all?

TIA everyone! :D

Adele

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: OK another from me - how to stop kids encouraging jumping up?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
In this case, it sounds like it is the kids, not Chloe that need to learn the rules and stick to them - Chloe sounds like a little  :angel:

You could teach her to do it on command; but the kids would need to stick to this too - are they prepared to?  ;) Consistency is the key with all dog training.........and kids are very good at hijacking training schedules in order to have some fun  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:49:57 PM »
They are clever little things, mocha knows not to jump up at me or the kids but my dad has trained him that if he taps his chest mocha takes a running jump into his arms, he loves it and so does mocha  :005: But if I did it he won't jump into my arms which is great as I don't think I could hold him! I suppose you could get the children to stand up if she tries to get on their laps, but as Rachel says they need to be consistant.  My dad says he is consistant, he consistant with spoiling him!
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:24 PM »
They are clever little things, mocha knows not to jump up at me or the kids but my dad has trained him that if he taps his chest mocha takes a running jump into his arms, he loves it and so does mocha  :005:

I do this with Alfie, I love it  :005:  I think it's a bit of a working cocker thing cos Cazzie's Sweep, Cazza's Fern, Freya's Dobbie and my Alfie were all at it today  :lol: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
Thanks guys, there seems to be a problem with kids around here as they all pat their laps, whilst standing, to tell her to jump up! I think I'll have to have a go at training her to jump on command and go from there as it gets embarassing in the park when I have a soaking wet cocker jumping up at fellow dog walkers!  :005: That and I don't want her jumping at every kid she meets, she's not that big but if they're not expecting it then it could come as a bit of a shock!

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
Hiya,

You could try either of these :005:

Get your kids friends to wear shorts when they come round - they'll soon stop her jumping up  :005:

or.......

Tell them to bend down or crouch when they say hello.

This is a common problem with my other dogs, Labs are soo cute as pups everyone wants to say hello to them. Nice with a cute puppy, not so nice with 30kg of wet, stinky adult!!

Ali

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »
Yes I know what you mean about shorts! They'll soon be wearing them all being well when the warmer weather turns up for good!  :005: I think the girls that come around the most will probably really enjoy it if I tell them they're helping me train her!  :005: The one who is the worst has a boxer and I'm sure she doesn't encourage him to jump up!  :o He's a lovely dog that they rescued a while ago and adores the children but clearly not a puppy anymore and not as interesting as a cocker obviously! LOL!