Author Topic: biting on lead  (Read 1326 times)

Offline valie

• Site Member
biting on lead
« on: December 12, 2003, 01:03:44 PM »
:(  :(
hi abbie is 6mnths old and latley when we go for walk she starts to jump on me  grab at my coat  and bites at her lead  and pulls the extened lead out add goes round in circles till she is all tangled up              
 i try to distract her with her ball but it doesnt always work she just wont calm down and i end up taken her home with her jumping and biting on her lead abbie has 3 good walks aday and i play with her in the house
i do let her off her lead on part of the walk .
also she has a part off the evening when she wants to jump and nip me
and bark at me and she will not listen to me there seems to be aglazed  look in  her eyes i just put her in the kitchen and after 10mins or so she has calmed down and is fine
i love her to bits but this behavior is worrying me .
valli.                    

Offline Tjarda

• Site Member
biting on lead
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:33:15 PM »
My cocker did the same when he was 5 months old. The best way to stop this is to ignore it. When he gets likes this during your walk, just stop walking and just look the other way, eventuelly the dog will give up. I did the same with my dog and he has only tried it several times then he realized it was no fun being ignored like that and he never tried it again.  Always ignore a dog in cases like this, because everything you do (even if your shouting at him) he sees as a victory. Ofcourse when he already had some succes for several times it is much harder to stop the biting, so probably you'll have to stand still on the street and ignore your dog for quit a while (and it may look very silly for people passing by), but you will see that it really helps eventuelly.

Succes !! Tjarda                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
biting on lead
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 12:18:30 AM »

Offline gerry

• Site Member
biting on lead
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »
Hi Valie

My sister had this problem with her Springer - she has swopped to a chain lead and this has cured the problem!   :)                    

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
biting on lead
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 10:26:53 PM »
We have a lead chain but the handle is material and she likes the handle... :lol: