Author Topic: Crates?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Crates?
« on: January 06, 2004, 12:03:30 PM »
We have been told to put the crate in the kitchen because the floor can be cleaned more easily and that is where the most is going on, but our kitchen is too small!  :( So we have a choice whether to put it in the living room where people go most of the time (but also with the TV) or put it in the dining room where people only usually go once a day. They both have carpet but we don't have much choice. :o  I think it should go in the living room but nobody else is sure. :?  Could you give me some advice? :wink:

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Crates?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:17:52 PM »
Hiya Katherine,

I think most crates come with a plastic tray liner anyway, so I don't think it would really matter if it was in a carpeted area. If it doesn't coem with a plastic tray then you could always use an old piece of lino but underneath the crate and not inside it where puppy could chew it  :wink:
I didn't have a crate for Butty so others will have good advice to give with regards where to put it. But i would presume the best place would be where you plan to have your new puppy sleep at night etc.

Gilly                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Crates?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 12:18:31 PM »
How small is small? Our kitchen is small and Phoebe stays in there at night and when we're out during the day.

You need somewhere quiet for the puppy to go when its tired or has had enough play( :wink: ). I've not had to deal with the carpet issue though as due to dust allergy, we already had laminate flooring throughout.

If the kitchen is really small sounds like the dining room with lots of newspaper in the scatter zone!

HTHs                    
Anita

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Crates?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 05:36:46 PM »
should that be "splatter zone" maybe Anita??  :D  :lol:
I have to say that when we got Millie we didnt have a crate at first, instead we bought a hard plastic basket - this was placed in the kitchen diner (we also have laminate). Then at night she came upstairs in her basket with us to bed.
Through many trials and tribulations we have been with Millie's sleeping arrangements!! but in the end we bought a crate for her to sleep in at night in our room - and thats where it stays, with her basket downstairs in the kitchen for during the day.
I would say the dining is the best bet - your puppy won't be in there all day anyway, only when either you or she need a time out, when you're going out or at night. So I wouldn't worry about the pup being on its own, cos ideally when you put it in there, you want it to be on its own anyway .. if that makes sense??  :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline T

• Site Member
Crates?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 11:55:03 PM »
Small works for us! Charlie-Spud (10mths) has his crate in the utility area off the kitchen - picked as it's where the back door is & on an easy clean floor! The area is very small (4.5Ft wide x 12Ft) and half filled with the 'whites', but his crate fits nicely under the slopey understairs bit, so it's more like a den for him. He goes in this area, baby-gated in, overnight and when left home alone.
During the puppy training months this work well for us.
We've also got a soft cushion dog bed for him in the lounge which he sleeps on during the day/evening when we're home just to be in the same room with us!  :roll:                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Crates?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 12:02:16 AM »
:) Very similar set up to us that T, with the slopey stairs, Indie is still crated in there at the moment, but we are going to get a dog gate so she has a bit more room :D   She only goes in the crate at nite and when we are out of course, for her own safety really, she quite likes it there :)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
Crates?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »
we got a crate for Taliska from day one and its been a god send, we know he is safe when we are out and he sleeps in it a night, apart from a couple of accidents in the first day or so, hes never messed in the crate.  He doesn't go in much when we are in prefers the sofa.

We put ours in the dining room, though it is covered on top and sides, with a blanket to put down over the front for night time.  This was worked well fo us.  I've not found it particularly messy at all.

Sue and Steve
 :)                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Crates?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 12:34:39 PM »
I would be inclined to put your crate in the dining room if it wont fit in your kitchen. It will be quieter in there for the puppy. You may find that the first few nights the crate will get messy and you could end up bathing the pup during the night!! Stick with it though. Since we brought her home we have had Maggie in her crate during the night and if we go out and leave her alone. It gives us peace of mind knowing that she is safe and so are our kitchen units!!  :lol:
Samantha & Maggie x                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Crates?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 08:08:02 PM »
thnx for all your replies :D

I'm not sure. shall I let him sleep IN the crate at night from the start or shall I put him in my room in a cardboard box to start with. :?: I've been told to put toys in the crate too  :?:

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Crates?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 01:09:37 PM »
Start as you mean to go on!!!!!!                    
Anita

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
Crates?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 10:28:19 PM »
Go down the crate route and the pups will know no different. They are safe in there  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

Crates?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 12:47:17 AM »
Its worth getting them used to a crate just in case. They can be a haven if you've got a house full. Or when Wilf had his ops he had to be either confined to a small room or crated (he was on restricted movement for 2 weeks). Crating was the easiest option as he was still where all the action was (basically where all his mates were—canine and feline) and didn't feel left out.  A friend never bothered with one and now her dog has had a leg op that needs a lot of restriction so she has to stay in with the dog all day and can't go out. These things may never happen but never say never.

I've found it invaluable now that Wilf's going through another chewing phase so if I go out for a few hours I can leave him in there and I know he's safe.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!