Author Topic: He groweled at hubby!  (Read 1254 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
He groweled at hubby!
« on: January 14, 2004, 11:05:22 AM »
Last night, I went and lay on my bed and read a book. Indie wanted up, so I let him, though I'm now thinking that was the cause of the problem :oops:

Douglas (dh) came through to go and put Indie to bed, as he was coming to bed, and he went to lift him, and he growled! Really seriously too! He tried again, the same thing, and then he barked and stood up! I'm wondering if he thought he was protecting me?

He's nipped in games and stuff, but never done this before! Any advice, should I keep  him off the bed?                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

He groweled at hubby!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 11:49:53 AM »
Ruby would do this if you tried to get her off the sofa (she had decided the sofa was hers and who was I to suggest otherwise especially as she was going through her challenging period of trying to dominate me). There is a school of thought that says don't let them on there in the 1st place especially if they are quite dominant (which Ruby is). However, I have managed to teach Ruby to get off the sofa when I want her to without arguments. I basically just 'ask' her with the words 'off' and point at the floor. The process I went through here was rewarding every time she did what I wanted (I just reward with praise now). I would never make the mistake again of 'dragging' or 'pushing' any dog off the sofa/bed as it can create all sorts of issues.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
He groweled at hubby!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 01:39:15 PM »
Thanks, Penny, I'll try some positive reinforcement then. He's been really good today, so far, so hopefully it was a one off, but I'll keep some rewards handy and use them next time,

cheers,

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)